glashole
07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
insert movie line quote

"which one do you want ?"

"ok, good, cause i'll take anything" :)

mattyboy
07-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Shea,
very capable boats takes alot of power and trim to get them up and running most were sbc twins with volvo drives the 35k one in MI is a BBC single

my personal take would be the Doral over the spitfire with a modified fiberglass fairing and stand up drop out bolsters

gcarter
07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Isn't that what Olredalert having restored? His is twins w/TRS's I think.
Maybe he'll chime in.

There should be a law about having too many super nice boats!!!!!!!:confused:

You can have all the Bayliners and junky, worn out Donzis you want, but only one super nice collectable.:wink:

glashole
07-08-2009, 12:54 PM
not nec looking to buy one, they just seem like cool little boats with some history that I had been curious about

mattyboy
07-08-2009, 01:10 PM
they are far from little , the newer ones might be a trs not sure what Bill's has for drives but most I have seen are volvos some even came with e drives from the factory Bill might be the first one to have great boats all from the same modle line seems all he needs is a doral and a spirit and that will cover all the Scheoll 24 footers

let's see does anyone own a barrelback ,2+3, corsican and X 18 ????

olredalert
07-08-2009, 08:59 PM
-------My 1974 Spitfire was a Canadian boat when new, and was a twin 280/TRS boat as built. It was rumored to be the Toronto Boat Show feature boat for DONZI that year. While I love TRS set-ups I dont like the weight associated with them (all at the stern) and have shed about a 1000 lbs so far. This will be good as the boot-stripe was at least 10 inches under water at rest. Its been an interesting learning curve with the 24 hull. While the manufacturing method was cutting edge back then it was difficult to implement and just as difficult to manufacture. The bad part is that all of the above makes a good restoration either very costly or very hard. Im just now closing in on the end of the fiberglass work after two years, and after paint there will be a big rigging job in my future.
-------I dont know exactly how many Spitfires were made, but surmise that the # would be somewhere around twenty. There were more Dorals built than any of the other three models, and Dorals are very cool. They actually have a useable cabin!!! If I had seen the right one prior to buying the Spitfire I probably would have one of them instead. With that said, I have never seen a twin 280/TRS Doral. Not saying they didnt make one,,,I just have never run across one.
-------The 24ft. Harry Schoell hull is a very capable boat in almost any water. It has a lot of flare and therefore is a very dry ride. Its heavy as well, and that along with a superb hull design means that the ride is truly excellent. The hulls do react well to trim as any boat with a bunch of wetted surface would when trimmed out, but my El P is certainly not overpowered with twin two-barrel 350/Alphas, and it will run right up to 63/64mph at 4800rpm with little trouble. The Spitfire will have twin 420hp 383 Tyler Crockett strokers. Hoping for around 75ish out of the combination we are presently designing........Bill S

ZekesterbluH3
07-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Love the lines of that boat....any links or anything to the one in CT?

mattyboy
07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
do a search in the donzi for sale section both spitfires are there

this is an old link to the CT one the only thing I think that has changed is time

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50764

glashole
07-29-2009, 01:52 PM
what are your thoughts of a pair of big blocks in a doral?

to much weight?

or would say a pair of built 383's be the way to go?

mattyboy
07-29-2009, 02:00 PM
what are your thoughts of a pair of big blocks in a doral?

to much weight?

or would say a pair of built 383's be the way to go?

if I were venturing out on big water far from shore I would go with twins 383 small blocks for redundancy. If I were going out on big water not far from shore or help I would go with a single big HP big block watching the weight like an ilmor and indy drive would be an interesting setup

I haven't seen the specs on the indy drive but I think it runs very close to the surface and not sure how much bow lift they deliver. The 24 hull needs alot of bow lift to get it up and aired out

Ghost
07-29-2009, 02:03 PM
FWIW (my boat is somewhat similar in size and configuration) I would definitely be looking at small blocks and tuning them up if you want. Big blocks x 2 adds what, another 400-500 lbs? And they're wider, right, when room side to side starts getting pretty tight.

mattyboy
07-29-2009, 02:04 PM
you'd have to stagger the bigblocks

glashole
07-29-2009, 02:27 PM
that solves your bolster problem Matty

just sit on the front motor

Ghost
07-29-2009, 02:30 PM
just sit on the front motor

"I got your backfire flame arrestor right here."