PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Classic or Scarab

pokster
07-07-2009, 10:30 PM
I need some help I found a 1998 22 Donzi Classic and 1998 22ft Scarab which one would give me a better ride in rough afternoon lake chop. I have a bad back and would like to keep it from getting worse. Now what makes it even harder is the Donzi cost 22k and the Scarab is 14k a big difference in price is the donzi worth it. Yes the look of the classic is why better but does it live up to the hipe of a great ride?

Pismo
07-08-2009, 05:22 AM
A 28 Pantera. No 22' boat rides really well, the Donzi will still give you a hard jolt now and then.

BUIZILLA
07-08-2009, 06:18 AM
the Scarab might surprise you.. :wink:

BlownCrewCab
07-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Doesn't the scarab have a 20*- 22* bottom, where the Donzi has a 24*? A Scarab may be faster on smooth water, the donzi shines in the chop.

glashole
07-08-2009, 07:37 AM
doesn't that scarab have a small cuddy or area to lay down as well

chappy
07-08-2009, 08:21 AM
First question, how big is your lake.

Rough chop on my lake would be exciting in a 16, a little more mild in a 22.

Tell us about your lake, that will help.

Either way, good luck.

roadtrip se
07-08-2009, 10:13 AM
I lived on a reservior in Fort Worth for a lot of years. We had a pretty strong Wellcraft dealer in the area that sold a lot of product. Our area was loaded with Scarabs, because of it. Great dealer.

My experience from running along side the 22's on my lake is that a little less deadrise makes a huge difference in the ride and angle of attack to rough water. I used to torment these guys on a pretty regular basis out there with the 22 Classic. I called them the "rough-riders" as they just seemd to like to pancake. It could have been the drivers, as several traded "up" into Bajas, which gave us further opportunity to torment them in their new boats.

Now the SCX was a pretty cool boat. Featured in a few movies and I think a little longer. I think it was a 24. Cool lay out.

As others have said, go ride in your two candidates, and make a choice based on your preference.

Good luck!

blackhawk
07-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Scarab has less deadrise (I believe 20*) but they still do very well in the chop. Scarab is also a wider boat. I'm a big fan of the 7' beam boats but I don't have a family to deal with.

Either boat will do well in lake chop with the Edge going to the Donzi IMO. But the Scarab will be easier to drive, bigger coskpit and a small cuddy. So, it depends on what you want.

pokster
07-08-2009, 01:44 PM
I take the boat around to different lakes most are inland lakes that are shallow, we also take it to larger water like Mississippi River near La Crosse, Lake Geneva, and Green Lake all in WI. All the lakes have heavy boat use and can have boats that kick up 2 foot boat wakes.
Thank you for the feed back so far it has been very helpful, please keep it coming!

pokster
07-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Sorry forgot to let you know that it is only my wife and I no kids to worry about. The only other question is my wife likes to swim off the boat we have now and is worried that you cannot do that with the Donzi. Do you have any suggestions of how to make getting back into the boat easy?
I don't want to rune the lines with a swim platform.

CaribouLou
07-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Pretty easy to climb up the outdrive of the boat IMO

VetteLT193
07-08-2009, 02:21 PM
The build quality of the Scarab won't be near as good as the Donzi. At least all the ones I have seen.

ANGUS
07-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I have run a 22c on the Chesapeake for 13 years and found there are days it just plain isn't fun, and you learn to stay up in the rivers on those days. I would consider the seats also if ride is your biggest concern. Does the Scarab have bolsters? If it does there is your better ride. I don't care how sharp the V is sitting flat you will alwys find some uncomfortable bumps. All things equal the Donzi is a better investment IMO. Good luck with your hunt.

mrfixxall
07-08-2009, 02:47 PM
neither!! they both pound,look into a deeper v boat like mabe a zx if you can get one cheep enough or a 4winns liberator 211 rides really nice and is probably in your price rang

Boiler56
07-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Have you tried looking into a 22ZX? Won't run as fast as a classic in smooth water, but handles a chop better in my experience. It also had a sun pad, a swim platform and boarding ladder (my wife had the same concerns).
My opinion is subjective, I am trying to sell my ZX.

I also looked at a 22 scarab two years ago when I was shopping. I thought it was a little rougher around the edges (in the engine compartment, deck joints, etc.)

Good luck with your shopping

BigGrizzly
07-09-2009, 12:26 PM
My neighbor down the cove says my Criterion rides better then his Scarab does. he has a 350o in his.