PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or is this a splash?

cutwater
07-07-2009, 08:44 AM
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/1245225059.html

Everything looks a little off to me... Gauges, interior, scoop, hatch latches, steering wheel, etc.

Just Say N20
07-07-2009, 10:19 AM
You are correct.

I posted a link to this boat when it was for sale for MONTHs in Florida. I spoke with the Florida owner 5 or 6 times.
He bought the boat in Indiana, and brought it back to Florida, where Florida issued some non-Donzi hull ID numbers. I forget the exact reason. Owner in Indiana "lost" the title, or something.

Hull doesn't have the 16 rocker. Donzi wasn't building the 16 in 1986. It has a 2+2 seating that wasn't introduced until later. Lots more about this boat doesn't ad up.

I wrote the current owner of the boat telling him a. It wasn't a Donzi. b. Why is he telling people he paid $10K for the boat when it was for sale for MONTHS on CL in Florida for $6K, and now he "will take" $8,500 because the outdrive was blown.
I also wonder how it ran 53 gps at sea level in salt water, and then 58 at a higher elevation in fresh water. I don't think the truth matters much to this owner.

I never heard back from him, but this is a classic case of "buyer beware." I think he might have bought it thinking it was a Donzi, because the Florida owner was emphatic it WAS a Donzi, and now is hoping he can pass it off to someone else who doesn't know what they are looking at. In the ad he says he towed it 10 hours (about the time it would take to bring it up from Florida) without problem.

He even used some of the pictures from the Florida ad. Below is are copies of a couple of the Florida CL ads.

Donzi Vol
07-07-2009, 11:07 AM
I had the same questions when I saw it last week. I was about to go look at it, but thought I should ask one of the more knowledgable guys on here in private what he thought. Sure enough, doesn't seem ligit. Oh well, probably still a fun boat. Offer him 2 grand and write "splash" after "DONZI" on the side! haha

Carl C
07-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Ad "flagged for removal"..........

cutwater
07-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Ad "flagged for removal"..........

Same here! From Just Say N2O's response, the guy has been told it's a splash (plus he makes several other false statements about the price, not that that's grounds for flagging, but it doesn't bring him any favor in my eyes).

BlownCrewCab
07-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Are there some pic's I'm not seeing? I don't see the gauge layout and not all 16's had a wrap around seat. also where did you see the hook removed from the chine. Even the ones we made at Legend where direct replicas of a 16 except the wrap around seat and steering where swapped, Donzi uses those molds today (if they needed to build a 16). I guess I missed something cause it looks like a donzi to me...Fill me in please...

cutwater
07-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Are there some pic's I'm not seeing? I don't see the gauge layout and not all 16's had a wrap around seat. also where did you see the hook removed from the chine. Even the ones we made at Legend where direct replicas of a 16 except the wrap around seat and steering where swapped, Donzi uses those molds today (if they needed to build a 16). I guess I missed something cause it looks like a donzi to me...Fill me in please...

Here ya go! Let me know what you think.

Just Say N20
07-07-2009, 03:29 PM
There have been many different pictures used in the ad for this boat when it was listed in Florida. One of them showed the the side of the boat, and you could see there was no rocker in the hull (see picture).

If you look at the picture of the engine, maybe it will jump out at you as it did me, but it struck me as odd how much space there was in front of the engine. My 16 has a SBC, and the seat back was cut away to give enough clearance. My engine is also closed loop cooled, and I don't believe the heat exchanger would fit inside my engine compartment like that.

Here is a link to the previous discussion about this boat.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56200

BlownCrewCab
07-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Hmmnnn, The Back hatch is kinda odd. Although in 95-96 I bought a 16 that had 2 bucket seats and it had to be 10 years old (just cause everything was rotten) I don't remember the year but it did say donzi on the title. either way the rear hatch was much wider at the front than the rear unlike the boat in question here. where is this thing? I'd like to do a drive by.