PDA

View Full Version : ZXO First impressions

VetteLT193
07-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I've had a handful of PM's about the ZXO that I just couldn't answer until I used it a couple of times... Here are some first impressions for anyone that cares.

The boat is built very well. The fit and finish is great. The paint job is awesome, although I wish they just cleared the whole boat... they didn't clear some of the white on the top deck area. There isn't a ton of flair in the bow, so in 4 footers you can plan on getting wet (yep, already had the chance to run this boat in the rough stuff). Not a big deal at all. If you were in a 22 Classic you would be soaked in the same conditions. The ride is fantastic overall.

The cabin is my 2 YO daughters favorite place. She likes it there, or in the water.

The hull does not like going slow, at least how it is currently propped. It really likes faster speeds. 40+ things feel great. less than 30 and it feels like it is dragging. it's do-able, but it's not at its happiest for sure. If I were to ski from it, a set of ski specific props would be in order to give more low end thrust. That would probably do the trick.

The open bow is awesome. It's the hot spot on the boat. Even though it doesn't look as good as the regular 28, the functionality blows the regular one away and makes it WELL worth it. One day we had 8 adults and 3 kids. Yesterday we had 6 adults and 2 kids. zero space issues. that included a full day on the water with towels, coolers, lunch, snacks, diaper bags, etc. My wife hardly ever drives the boat, but she took us in through the slow speed zone and I got to flop up front and enjoy the breeze.

The down side:

The cabin is hard to negotiate in and out of. There is only so much Donzi could have done, it's just a size issue, so I can't really complain, just sayin' it out loud. I'm 6 foot, 190 pounds. It's plenty doable, you just have to bend. once in the cabin it is comfortable.

I wish the swim platform was a bit lower. or it had a rear ballast tank to lower it while at the sand bar. It's about 2-3 inches higher than makes it easy to get the small kids in and out. Adults, no problem.

The boat needs about 900 HP. It is boring at 50. slightly exciting at 65. Donzi did too good of a job on the ride and handling, so much so that it is almost too easy to drive. It actually runs lighter in feel than both my Minx and my brother's 22. It's downright amazing how responsive it is at speed.

Power steering only works on the starboard engine. I've been trying to run on one screw getting in and out because of break in. totally sucks running on the port side.

Any other questions??? just ask and I'll do my best to respond. :wink:

The Hedgehog
07-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Sounds like mission accomplished to me! Enjoy the ZX.

You may not think that 65 is blistering, but on the other hand I don't see any other bit 65 mph bowriders out there. Wear that stock power out. Those are nice engines and they will do you right.

Take a bunch of time but be sure to call me when it is time to come to the dark side:shocking:

VetteLT193
07-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Sounds like mission accomplished to me! Enjoy the ZX.
You may not think that 65 is blistering, but on the other hand I don't see any other bit 65 mph bowriders out there. Wear that stock power out. Those are nice engines and they will do you right.
Take a bunch of time but be sure to call me when it is time to come to the dark side:shocking:

I stated the speed thing as more of a testament to the hull than wanting more right this second... I won't be doing anything crazy until it's paid off. I can tell you it will hit 5200 at any trim angle. By seat of the pants feel, I think a set of Grizz props will let this boat hit 75 or darn close to it. Or, better than that, is a nice set of props that lets me cruise mid 40's at 3500 RPM. I'm close to that now, just need a bit more bite.

superchargers... one day. :wink: I can wait for the time being

The Hedgehog
07-07-2009, 01:25 AM
I stated the speed thing as more of a testament to the hull than wanting more right this second... I won't be doing anything crazy until it's paid off. I can tell you it will hit 5200 at any trim angle. By seat of the pants feel, I think a set of Grizz props will let this boat hit 75 or darn close to it. Or, better than that, is a nice set of props that lets me cruise mid 40's at 3500 RPM. I'm close to that now, just need a bit more bite.
superchargers... one day. :wink: I can wait for the time being

You got the right idea. Just to be clear. I would like to see you enjoy what you have for quite some time

RickSE
07-07-2009, 10:32 AM
...Power steering only works on the starboard engine...

I still don't understand why they do this. Years ago a 38ZX was out in the bay for a dealer dealer demo. They lost the single steering pump in a turn, hooked the boat and tossed everyone out of the boat.

Donzi originally built the ZXO to compete and make some gains in the west coast market. There are all kinds of open bow 28 lake boats out here. The Donzi blows them all away but unfortunately it never really caught on out here in the West.

Vette, cool boat. I always thought the 6.2's was the way to go in the 28 vs the 5.7's.

cutwater
07-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I still don't understand why they do this. Years ago a 38ZX was out in the bay for a dealer dealer demo. They lost the single steering pump in a turn, hooked the boat and tossed everyone out of the boat.

The power steering only works on one drive intentionally?!?! :confused: What is the reason for this?

Ghost
07-07-2009, 10:59 AM
The power steering only works on one drive intentionally?!?! :confused: What is the reason for this?

I openly admit I don't know (Hell, I don't even know if they really hook only one up by design), but I'm guessing that if they do, it's because they're hard to make work exactly together so they aren't fighting each other and beating up the machinery. (Much like it's hard to make two fans not wear on each other blowing in one end of a duct and out the other, but more so because things are so incompressible in the system).

I'm probably hopelessly wrong at any or all levels, and am ready to take my lumps when the folks who actually know chime in with the real answers. :) Since the daily sports trivia subsided, I'm just dying to guess about anything...

mrfixxall
07-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Vette,if you have a ps pump on each motor follow the lines on the starboard motor back.you will find the lines tied together circulating the fluid,mercs biggest mistake was they didnt route it through a cooler so the ps fluid will get hot!

VetteLT193
07-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Vette,if you have a ps pump on each motor follow the lines on the starboard motor back.you will find the lines tied together circulating the fluid,mercs biggest mistake was they didnt route it through a cooler so the ps fluid will get hot!

what does that mean exactly? It's just a plumbing problem?

The Hedgehog
07-07-2009, 11:45 AM
I am sort of confused here. If you have full hydraulic steering then why does it need more than one pump? You basically have two rams and a tie bar system. One pump will drive that all day long.

VetteLT193
07-07-2009, 11:56 AM
I am sort of confused here. If you have full hydraulic steering then why does it need more than one pump? You basically have two rams and a tie bar system. One pump will drive that all day long.

I can't say if it has 2 pumps or not, I didn't look at it close enough. If you have 2 pumps, you'd think that shutting down one engine would be ok. On my setup, life is good if the starboard engine is running. if it is not, no steering.

I'm only doing this for break in, I have a long idle out from the ramp and break in says long idle is a no-no, so I'm running one engine at a higher RPM.

In my case, the starboard engine seems like the master engine. The Speedo, fuel gauge, steering, quick and quiet exhaust, etc. are all tied to that engine.

BigGrizzly
07-07-2009, 12:11 PM
It only can have one pump with full hydraulic steering. Two pumps have too much out put volume and raise hell with the helm. Why that 38 had the issue should not have been the pump. When my tein ram pump belt broke it was just harder to steer, now other issue. Now for propping I don't think I can get you to 75, but we can make it better, and I will work with you, but we already have discussed that. Just think of the information we can get out of this. Your not the lone ranger in the twin Donzi market.:yes::yes:

mrfixxall
07-07-2009, 12:23 PM
correct! it should only be using one ps pump to drive the helm but ive seen several twin motor boats with ps pumps on both engines..they loop the ps lines together going no where,the fluid just circulates through the pump.i thought it wasnt routed rite when i say this and would have thought merc would have run the lines through a cooler to keep the ps fluid cool.

mrfixxall
07-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Check this one out,i has a dummy ps pump on it,i think they do it this way because of the serpitine belt set up!

VetteLT193
07-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Check this one out,i has a dummy ps pump on it,i think they do it this way because of the serpitine belt set up!

That's probably what I have then. I know the pulleys are the same on both, but I didn't examine any plumbing on them yet. Raining right now, I'll check it later.

glashole
07-07-2009, 01:21 PM
this is only a big deal if one motor quits (ie the one with the pump)

trust me on this it has happened

I climbed into the bilge, saw it and wondered why would they not make the lines big enough that you could switch the lines to a working motor if the first one fails?

The Hedgehog
07-07-2009, 01:21 PM

Nice catch fixx!

VetteLT193
07-07-2009, 02:46 PM

I climbed into the bilge, saw it and wondered why would they not make the lines big enough that you could switch the lines to a working motor if the first one fails?

The extra length for the lines would have cost an extra 10 bucks.

The Hedgehog
07-07-2009, 03:05 PM

That would make too much sense

mrfixxall
07-07-2009, 03:26 PM
That would make too much sense

OO BTW all the newer boats are coming with quick disconnects on the ps hoses to!

Extend the hoses and quick connects and whalla done

Cuda
07-07-2009, 09:39 PM
My 302 Formula only had one power steering pump. It wasn't because they were trying to cheap out either. The list price on that boat in 1986 dollars was just under $140,000, which is probably the reason it was never sold until 2001.

In other words, one ps pump isn't that unusual.

daboys
07-13-2009, 06:52 AM
I have had my ZXO since 2003 -- the best baot I have ever owned. A real head turner as well as a crowd pleaser. Enjoy the ride, only thing I changes was the addition of external hydraulic steering. The stock setup used on drive to turn the other via a tie bar. Put too much stress on the gimbal, after replaceing it twice I added the external steering, no problems since.,

mrfixxall
07-13-2009, 10:04 AM
I have had my ZXO since 2003 -- the best baot I have ever owned. A real head turner as well as a crowd pleaser. Enjoy the ride, only thing I changes was the addition of external hydraulic steering. The stock setup used on drive to turn the other via a tie bar. Put too much stress on the gimbal, after replaceing it twice I added the external steering, no problems since.,

VETTES ZXO came wth hyd steering:)

VetteLT193
07-13-2009, 10:12 AM
VETTES ZXO came wth hyd steering:)

That was one of only a couple of options that I had to have. The rest of the stuff I was more whatever on. Even engine size I was flexible on.

I'm getting better at getting it on plane. It's a freaking process though. I can't wait for the other props to get here...

I opened it up, this time in perfect step bottom conditions, and really played with it. At max speed I can hear the rev limiters beeping on and off. If I trim it in I can bleed some of the RPM's off (down to 5200) but I lose a bunch of speed. I even played with the tabs a bit, they didn't do anything to help speed, so I'm 99% sure I had it trimmed right banging on the limiters.

So... new props await. Hopefully they will come in today.

mrfixxall
07-13-2009, 10:41 AM
That was one of only a couple of options that I had to have. The rest of the stuff I was more whatever on. Even engine size I was flexible on.
I'm getting better at getting it on plane. It's a freaking process though. I can't wait for the other props to get here...
I opened it up, this time in perfect step bottom conditions, and really played with it. At max speed I can hear the rev limiters beeping on and off. If I trim it in I can bleed some of the RPM's off (down to 5200) but I lose a bunch of speed. I even played with the tabs a bit, they didn't do anything to help speed, so I'm 99% sure I had it trimmed right banging on the limiters.
So... new props await. Hopefully they will come in today.

Your gonna love the maximus props,Dont be scared to trim the piss out of them,they will hold the water but for max speed i think a pair of 23's are gonna be the ticket:)