PDA

View Full Version : Big Fun on the 4th at Center Hill

The Hedgehog
07-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I met some friends for some fun on Center Hill. A couple of my buddies were there with some big hardware. We ran 3 wide from Cedar Creek to almost Rock Island and back to the Narrows. We floated and ran and floated some more. These guys had some serious boats but made me feel welcome in my little 26ZX. Just a nice bunch of guys that liked their toys and had no attitude.

We mostly ran along at 40 mph or so just listening to the big blocks loaf along. John stood on his Teague 1,100's as we passed Pate's Ford and then we took turns hammering on it and passing each other. It was a big festival of rooster tails and noise. John came by me once when I was running around 60 or so and he was making a big tail. He was probably doing 80. I layed into my ZX like never before. I dropped the tabs just below neutral, pulled the trim to 6 and held it down all the way. He said he could hear the ZX roaring when I came flying by. He layed into that OL all the way. He got up to 110 before he passed me. Eric stood on his Hustler too. John figured I was doing a solid 105. We backed down and rode a while to cool down.

At the end my GPS showed a max of 103, his showed 110 and Erics showed 101. It must have been a hell of a site looking down from those houses at the top of the gorge to see 3 boats screaming by at 100+ throwing out a combined hp of around 5,000.

The funny thing is that I never saw it break 100. I was driving the boat and paying attention to all of the rest of the stuff happening. And happening fast it was. I was just having fun, things were running right and it felt good.

Like John said, I think I got my teeth sunburned from smiling so much.

I would ride with those guys any time anywhere. Great day.

ITTLFLI
07-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Sounds fun! I putted around in my little 340hp malibu all weekend.:wink: It was a different sort of fun though!

Last Real Texan
07-06-2009, 08:04 AM
I met some friends for some fun on Center Hill. A couple of my buddies were there with some big hardware. We ran 3 wide from Cedar Creek to almost Rock Island and back to the Narrows. We floated and ran and floated some more. These guys had some serious boats but made me feel welcome in my little 26ZX. Just a nice bunch of guys that liked their toys and had no attitude.

We mostly ran along at 40 mph or so just listening to the big blocks loaf along. John stood on his Teague 1,100's as we passed Pate's Ford and then we took turns hammering on it and passing each other. It was a big festival of rooster tails and noise. John came by me once when I was running around 60 or so and he was making a big tail. He was probably doing 80. I layed into my ZX like never before. I dropped the tabs just below neutral, pulled the trim to 6 and held it down all the way. He said he could hear the ZX roaring when I came flying by. He layed into that OL all the way. He got up to 110 before he passed me. Eric stood on his Hustler too. John figured I was doing a solid 105. We backed down and rode a while to cool down.

At the end my GPS showed a max of 103, his showed 110 and Erics showed 101. It must have been a hell of a site looking down from those houses at the top of the gorge to see 3 boats screaming by at 100+ throwing out a combined hp of around 5,000.

The funny thing is that I never saw it break 100. I was driving the boat and paying attention to all of the rest of the stuff happening. And happening fast it was. I was just having fun, things were running right and it felt good.

Like John said, I think I got my teeth sunburned from smiling so much.

I would ride with those guys any time anywhere. Great day.You my friend have just raised the bar.....:beer:

:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Tex

The Hedgehog
07-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Sounds fun! I putted around in my little 340hp malibu all weekend.:wink: It was a different sort of fun though!

Those are fun days too. I just love being on the water. The weekend before last I had a ball cruising at 7 knots.

The great thing about my 4th is that nobody was trying to prove a point. We were just laughing at each other and having fun. I enjoyed listening to those guys screaming by as much as I enjoyed doing a flyby.

That Hustler was something else. 100+ at 4,600 RPM and a bunch of throttle left....:superman: He is the kind of guy that when we were rafted up the Tennessee Wildlife Officials would come over just to say hello and talk to us.

RedDog
07-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Pictures?

The Hedgehog
07-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Pictures?

We have a few. They are all over Boatfreaks along with Thunders description of the run. No cameras out when the hammer was down. Too much else to do.

roadtrip se
07-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Bill. Best part is casually running with some guys that can do it too, and just taking it in. It's when the hotdog factor kicks in, that trouble can start.

You couldn't have done that at Cumberland this weekend. Too busy. I knew Byron was down here, but when we scouted the ramps, and saw the amateur hour, we decided to focus on land-side activities. Kind of cool any ways.

Plenty of summer to go, so keep it glued together, and go do it again!

The Hedgehog
07-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Bill. Best part is casually running with some guys that can do it too, and just taking it in. It's when the hotdog factor kicks in, that trouble can start.
You couldn't have done that at Cumberland this weekend. Too busy. I knew Byron was down here, but when we scouted the ramps, and saw the amateur hour, we decided to focus on land-side activities. Kind of cool any ways.
Plenty of summer to go, so keep it glued together, and go do it again!

Yes, that was the cool part. Once we got back to the amateur section of the lake we did not really drive above 50. We had so many folks trying to get us to put the hammer down it was pathetic. We had our fun and there was nothing to prove. Just enjoying a nice day on the lake.

I went out again on Sunday and never got it above 75.

Sunday was actually a much scarier day. We got pounded hard by a storm from Hidden Harbor to Sligo (Buiz will appreciate that). Every time we were going to break out we would round a turn and it would get worse. We finally broke out and ran from Sligo to Pate's Ford in the clear. The bottom fell out as soon as we got it on the lift.

BUIZILLA
07-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Sunday was actually a much scarier day. We got pounded hard by a storm from Hidden Harbor to Sligo (Buiz will appreciate that). Every time we were going to break out we would round a turn and it would get worse. We finally broke out and ran from Sligo to Pate's Ford in the clear. The bottom fell out as soon as we got it on the lift. from the time you see dark clouds over the hilltops you've got about 5-6 minutes to get wherever you need to be.. :nilly: :bonk: :shocking:

The Hedgehog
07-06-2009, 03:36 PM
from the time you see dark clouds over the hilltops you've got about 5-6 minutes to get wherever you need to be.. :nilly: :bonk: :shocking:

So true. We broke out at Sligo and my friend Matt told me that we were in the clear. I could see more darkness coming so I hammered it for a while longer. We JUST made it

Donziweasel
07-06-2009, 03:37 PM
You guys are nuts.........:wink::bonk::)

Glad you had a good weekend.......:)

BUIZILLA
07-06-2009, 03:48 PM
my house is in the first group you see on the right north of the narrows..

The Hedgehog
07-06-2009, 05:01 PM
my house is in the first group you see on the right north of the narrows..

If it is where I am thinking then you have a STUNNING view. Not that many houses on CH have a bad view but that is a very nice part of the lake.

SilverBack
07-06-2009, 06:00 PM
How have I been missing this?? Congratulations!! I know that you were smiling from ear to ear!! I am excited just hearing that you did it!! When you hit triple digits it is a whole different experience. Like I said Congratulations!!

It sounds like we have a few of us in the 103 area right now...... What prop were you running? Dare I ask? Was it a Mercury Racing Prop???

Mark is finally putting my trim tabs on tonight. He is at least mocking them up and taking measurements. I am hoping for a 110 mph blast from the bayou by the end of the week. It will be interesting to see what it will do out in Pontchartrain too.

The Hedgehog
07-06-2009, 07:23 PM
How have I been missing this?? Congratulations!! I know that you were smiling from ear to ear!! I am excited just hearing that you did it!! When you hit triple digits it is a whole different experience. Like I said Congratulations!!

It sounds like we have a few of us in the 103 area right now...... What prop were you running? Dare I ask? Was it a Mercury Racing Prop???

Mark is finally putting my trim tabs on tonight. He is at least mocking them up and taking measurements. I am hoping for a 110 mph blast from the bayou by the end of the week. It will be interesting to see what it will do out in Pontchartrain too.

Box stock Bravo I. No changes. I have just never held it down that long before. It felt right on Sat. I really was not trying to go big. Just having some fun with friends and driving the boat.

I have been spending some time learning to drive with a combo of tabs and trim. The K-planes made a BIG difference. I am dying to see what yours do.

I will be trying a few props soon.

The Hedgehog
07-06-2009, 07:25 PM

You can see Thunderusone's version of the story on Boatfreaks

SilverBack
07-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Bill...that is sweet!! I am really happy for you!! That rocks!! It sounds like we both have some gas left in the tank so to speak!!

The Hedgehog
07-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Bill...that is sweet!! I am really happy for you!! That rocks!! It sounds like we both have some gas left in the tank so to speak!!

Oh it has more. For me it is kind of like Mardis Gras. It is a good time but you don't want to go there every weekend. I also have to remember that the guys I was running with had Arneson's and #6's. When I got on the stick, my boat pulled every bit as hard as their boats. But with a Bravo drive. Probably don't want to run around doing that a bunch. It was a fun day though.

Yes, there was a time that I could have gone to Mardis Gras every weekend.