PDA

View Full Version : This boat should have sunk!

gcarter
07-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Since I'm on a break from any glass work, I drug out the gimbal assembly to start cleaning and disassembly.
Almost immediately, I found a sure fire way to lose a boat!
This was the first time it'd been looked at since I pulled the boat apart two years ago.
If you look at the pictures, you can see a hole corroded through the gimbal housing. I's a little over 1/2" in diameter.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47776&stc=1&d=1246819581

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47777&stc=1&d=1246819584

Most of us have seen these before. Usually water can start leaking through the threads of one of the middle mounting studs, or in this case, the big O-ring transom seal seemed to be the culprit. Water continues to leak through and sit on the inner part of the casting, eventually the paint breaks down and corrosion starts. Of course, this boat is 22 years old, so some of this stuff shouldn't be a surprise.
The area the hole(s) are located in is non-structural. All the engine and prop torque is taken out at the top and bottom of this casting, so all this portion of the casting does is keep the water out. But I guess that's kind of important.:wink:
Here's another picture of the corroded area after removing the mounting studs and roughly cleaning the area of the worst of the corrosion.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47778&stc=1&d=1246819584

So, what to do?:nilly::nilly:
The budget kitty is VERY thin, so finding another gimbal housing casting is not my first choice. Seems most of the one's I've seen on eBay are about $600.00 and there's no guarantee that the offered casting is in any better shape than the one I have. When I bought the Minx, it's gimbal was also corroded through, I bought another, it was also corroded through but the seller had sprayed black paint all over it so it was invisible in the photos!:bonk:I was able to have the hole welded up. It turned out to be very successful.
So what do you guys think I should do?
Keep in mind the budget!

gcarter
07-05-2009, 01:56 PM
I took a few pics of the gimbal ring disassembly. I'll be glad to post them if anyone is interested in how to do it w/just simple tools.

Barry Eller
07-05-2009, 02:12 PM
JB WELD...:nilly::bonk::outtahere::lame:

I would try having the holes welded and built up. Then grind, file, and fit to finish.

Carl C
07-05-2009, 04:17 PM
George, I've never known you to jury rig your projects. That sucker needs to be replaced! Looks like salt water took a toll on it.

penbroke
07-06-2009, 08:30 AM
If you can get good access to it I would say to weld it up. You may find it's so thin and contaminated in that area that you can't make a good weld but there's no harm in trying. There's no shame in making a proper repair if you can.

Frank

roadtrip se
07-06-2009, 04:10 PM
George,

I am going to an HD transom assembly for the SE re-rig as an insurance policy, not because there is anything wrong with the current gear.

I have the entire stock assembly available from late 2000. You would have to buy or retrofit your current trim pump, the bellows and seals should be replaced, and a new gimbal bearing installed.

It would put you on the water with new-ish dependable stuff in good conditon.

PM me if interested, and we will land on a price for it.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-07-2009, 11:12 AM
If you can get good access to it I would say to weld it up. You may find it's so thin and contaminated in that area that you can't make a good weld but there's no harm in trying. There's no shame in making a proper repair if you can.

Frank

George,
FWIW, I second Frank's logic. Bill

joseph m. hahnl
07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
George: There are a ton of boats on craigs list that are listed for free. If you keep your eye open and search all the areas that a a short drive I'm sure you'll be able to find a junker with the parts you need.

joe

Scott Pearson
07-07-2009, 10:20 PM
A little Bondo will work just fine.....:nilly:

mattyboy
07-08-2009, 09:32 AM
A little Bondo will work just fine.....:nilly:

the problem with bondo is water absorption I would use liquid weld 2000 or gorilla glue then there is the school of plumbers rope :yes: :tongue:

zelatore
07-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Just smear a little silicon in it. Maybe 5200 if you are really worried about it.
:wink:

mikev
07-08-2009, 03:23 PM
JB weld I fixed a cracked engine block with it were the water jacket had froze because the bozo didnt winterize it. lasted for 10 years till the motor threw a rod. If it can hold hot water under pressure in a block it should hold cold water not under pressure out just fine.

BUIZILLA
07-08-2009, 03:50 PM
CAT has a killer two part epoxy that I have stitched blocks and inj pump body's together for many a year.... I could tell you a story about a 700hp V6 Buick block that had 3 freeze plugs fall out in Englistown NJ becuse the block cracked between the plug holes... I layered that epoxy on the side and glued the plugs in, ran a 10.29@132 the next day, threw the slicks in the trunk, turned on the A/C, and drove it back to Miami... ran it another 2-3 months like that too... killer stuff

penbroke
07-08-2009, 09:09 PM
CAT has a killer two part epoxy that I have stitched blocks and inj pump body's together for many a year.... I could tell you a story about a 700hp V6 Buick block that had 3 freeze plugs fall out in Englistown NJ becuse the block cracked between the plug holes... I layered that epoxy on the side and glued the plugs in, ran a 10.29@132 the next day, threw the slicks in the trunk, turned on the A/C, and drove it back to Miami... ran it another 2-3 months like that too... killer stuff

I'm sorry but "10.29@132" is not a valid e-mail address... :wink:

I think there are more than a few of us that would love to hear some of stories you could tell.

Frank

Barry Eller
07-09-2009, 07:54 AM
I repaired my outdrive waterpump where the backing plate seals to the housing with JB WELD. After it cured, I sanded it flush, installed the backing plate, gasket and it has held for 4 years now.

gcarter
07-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Ya know, something that might be interesting would be a forged aluminum reinforced composite gimbal housing.
Think about it, no more chance of corrosion.

gold-n-rod
07-09-2009, 06:40 PM
I think there are more than a few of us that would love to hear some of stories you could tell.

'Cept that you'd have to climb up on old Uncle Jim's lap to hear them. Ewww!! :shocking:

:bonk:

:wink:

gcarter
07-12-2009, 06:03 PM
I cleaned up the corroded area some more.
So, tomorrow it's off to the welder to see if there's any hope (scratch that.....hope's not in my vocabulary anymore!), or help for the gimbal housing.:crossfing:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47996&stc=1&d=1247439722

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47995&stc=1&d=1247439729

BUIZILLA
07-12-2009, 06:05 PM
buy Todd's...

gcarter
07-12-2009, 06:10 PM
buy Todd's...

I don't have the funds.
If this don't work, something will turn up.