PDA

View Full Version : I encourage you all to try this

Planetwarmer
07-03-2009, 03:50 PM
I just totally disassembled my entire drive to change all of the seals. It was much easier that I thought it was going to be. Drives are FAR less complex than I was expecting.

I saved a TON of $$$$$$ doing this myself. I borrowed a spanner wrench from Performance Propellers in Tulsa, Ok. The rest was your standard tools. I really learned a lot, and will have an idea of what could be wrong if the drive ever fails (probably the mechanic who last worked on it :bonk:)!

I would like to encourage you all to quit spending so much $$$ on repairs and try a little wrench time yourself. It may surprise you how easy and much less expensive boating CAN be. I had a good time doing it too. Just be organized and keep everything clean. DON'T FORGET THE OIL! It sounds stupid, but it is an easy thing to over look. I always make a "NO OIL" note and tape it over the ignition.

I didn't say "cheap", I said LESS expensive.

Planetwarmer
07-03-2009, 03:51 PM
By the way, I have yet to drive the boat since the repairs.:nilly: :crossfing:

BUIZILLA
07-03-2009, 04:04 PM
you need more tools than that to do an upper...

MOP
07-03-2009, 04:59 PM
If you get into one with some time on it or one that has been hooked to serious power you will need quite a few more things. There are a myriad of special tools, shim gauges, height fixtures, special sockets, gear marking dye, torque wrenches to measure the rolling torque, and vacuum & pressure checker to check the integrity of your work. Every thread must be cleaned with a tap and all bolts must be coated with non hardening gasket compound it is essential to protect the threads within the cases. Be sides having all the tools you must follow the manual to the letter or your fun can come to an abrupt and expensive end! I have rebuilt as many drives as most old boat mechs and even to the very last one the book was on the bench!

HOWARD O
07-03-2009, 05:09 PM
I agree, you do save a ton of money. I try to do everything myself, unless it's just completely too technical and/or requires too many special tools. Much like Phil and Jim are speaking of with the uppers. I'll leave that to the pros, even if I could fumble my way through it!

For instance, I just replaced my leaky trim hose. Yes, it's now still leaking.....apparently the end flare isn't bedding down and making a nice seal in the trim cylinder. It leaks up through the threads. Oh well, at least now I have a spare hose! Now to go back to that thread where Phil gave me instructions to use some sealer on it and cross my fingers!

Just when you think you have it dialed in, something else happens! I LOVE IT!!! :kingme:

harbormaster
07-04-2009, 07:01 AM
This is one that need to speak up on. I get alot of these drives in that were "easy" to rebuild by the boat owner. The problem is that if you make a mistake you could take out a case or gearset in the upper and lower.
I have stood by for many hours watching while chatting with our drive techs as they disassembled, fixed, and assembled drives. all I have witnessed, lead me to believe that Its not rocket science BUT its one of those things that unless you do it everyday, you will have a high degree of failure with higher monetary ramifications than originally faced. I would be the first one to to say so it if I felt everyone could do it. There are a pile of special tools that are used for the Bravos and alphas.

Planetwarmer
07-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Notice that I didn't replace any gears, bearings, or races. I only replaced the seals. I'm never claimed to completely rebuild the drive for a reason. That is why I didn't need special tools.

We know how I did by this time next year. The boat ran and drove great all weekend. I am going to change the drive oil again to see if there are any leaks.

I stand by my previous encouragements. (so far)

Okie2
07-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Planet: You at Tenkiller....I stayed off the lake this past weekend...thought I would let all the "amateur out-of-towners" have it!!!! Received my new prop from Grizz a few minutes ago...can't wait to see what she will do now.... Let me know the next time you are over this way & we can go play with some Baja's. Scott

VetteLT193
07-06-2009, 02:31 PM
It's a pain in the rump to do that job. Although, to save the dough, it's worth it.

BigGrizzly
07-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Just remember a technical person is needed. What Planet did was easy and he new it was going to be just got the seals. The gear thing is another story.