PDA

View Full Version : Side Gapping?

HyperDonzi
09-25-2002, 12:30 PM
Seems like a bunch of hype, wont it make the tip hotter?

http://performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/sparkplugs.html
about 3/5 down the page.

rong
09-25-2002, 02:02 PM
Good obsevation, have you considered engineering?? The plug debate can go for decades. The variables are many. My experience with SplitFire in alcohol injected big blocks with magneto's is they can burn more fuel. More fuel more horsepower! This can be accomplished by other means. How about a full blown MSD ignition. CD multiple spark and away we go! No special plugs required. In a pinch, where a good slight result can be gained by stock ignition, can be done by the side gap.

HyperDonzi
09-25-2002, 02:25 PM
Engineering, why does everyone ask me that q? I should look into it though. So I can gain HP for free? How would I gap it? Cut the end, push it downward then gap from the side with a gapper to a .033?

rong
09-25-2002, 02:32 PM
It might be a horse or two. Enough to gain an advantage? :p The key in gaining horsepower is how many tricks do you have in the right combination. Experience gives some and your mind provides the rest!

Tidbart
09-25-2002, 05:35 PM
I am skeptical about this side gapping. A gap is a gap. The length of the arc will be the same no matter which direction it goes for the same gap. By directing the arc, you will put undo stress(electrical) on one portion of the insulation which will lead to premature failure, you can bet on it. Exposing more of the arc to fuel mixture is crap. The fuel mixture doesn't care which way the arc is facing, just that it gets an arc. IMHO. Cheap horsepower, come on, everyone knows HP isn't cheap.
Bob

HyperDonzi
09-25-2002, 05:49 PM
It seems that it might be true, in a traditional gapping, the plug seems to harbor the spark on the side it seems more exposed.
I do agree on how it will prematurely age the plug.

Tidbart
09-25-2002, 06:26 PM
Don't let that foolish artist's rendition of a spark fool you. The spark will only jump the gap and that is it. It will not give a huge flash like they show. The point at which it jumps will be the one with the least resistance. The spark will explode like they show. The only thing exploding will be the fuel/air mixture.

Read the second to last paragraph on that page. It is saying, the plugs will deteriorate at an accellerated rate. Maybe in racing applications this will be ok, but I can tell you pulling the plugs to regap can be a collossal pain in the ass.

Also, they state that the spark will travel further. Again, this is product of the gap distance. If you want a longer spark use a wider gap.

Bob

HyperDonzi
09-25-2002, 08:01 PM
Good point. I guess sometime I'll buy the copper core plugs, try them before and after then share the outcome.

Gearhead99
09-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Split-Fire==Snake Oil

No more, no less

Been there, Done that.

BigGrizzly
09-25-2002, 09:51 PM
I tried em in my last motor on the dyno, no gain at all. The spark will jump the closwst gsp and that is it! I was sonsored by NGK and never used the the split fire in my race bikes cars or boats. They came out with it to keep up with the other companies and their outlandish claimes. I assure if they were good NGK would have a racing version. NGK engineering never tried to get me to use them --what does that tell you?