PDA

View Full Version : So....Carl C....Where are the blistering...

Last Real Texan
07-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Performance #'s

People want to know how the job finished up...

Do tell...

Details man, we need details...:crossfing:

Tex

Last Real Texan
07-02-2009, 07:11 PM
That would explain it...with all the rush rush rush he was doing then he disappeared...was just hoping all was well with the project and he didn't jack himself up without the steering and scare himself to much to post what happened.

Tex

Pismo
07-02-2009, 07:54 PM
That would explain it...with all the rush rush rush he was doing then he disappeared...was just hoping all was well with the project and he didn't jack himself up without the steering and scare himself to much to post what happened.

Tex

That's funny..

Carl C
07-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Yes, just got back from 10 days in Alaska this morning. I changed the oil and fuel filter today, will work all week-end and hope to get on some big water monday for a good run. Still no tach but should have some top speed #s anyway for now. Yesterday was 77* and sunny in Anchorage, came home to 59* and drizzle:rolleyes:.

Carl C
07-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Tex, no, the boat was running great on the small lake. I was easily topping 80. Just running out of water and someone keeps calling the cops.:nilly:

Sweet Cheekz
07-02-2009, 10:06 PM
which lake Carl?

mike o
07-03-2009, 08:38 AM
He's in AK last I heard.. Hey, got a little bigger pic of Miss 4th of July in your avatar. Being a true patriot and all...:kingme::kingme::kingme:

Carl C
07-03-2009, 08:41 AM
which lake Carl?

Oakland is the small lake. I plan to hit Lake St. Clair monday.

Sweet Cheekz
07-03-2009, 09:11 AM
I am going to be there all weekend if you make it say hi
Parnell

Air 22
07-03-2009, 09:28 AM
He's in AK last I heard..
OMG...ur Avatar in AWSOME

:kingme: :pimp:

Carl C
07-03-2009, 10:24 AM
I am going to be there all weekend if you make it say hi
Parnell

Give me a call or post again if you will be out there monday and want to meet up. 248-330-0048

Post Proof of the #'s....:wink:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=519461&postcount=373

glashole
07-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Post Proof of the #'s....:wink:

make sure you take the picture on an angle like this one too so it looks like the needle is farther than it actually is :wink:

Carl C
07-03-2009, 10:33 AM
make sure you take the picture on an angle like this one too so it looks like the needle is farther than it actually is :wink:

hehe, no funny angle here and the gps wasn't in the car. These are first day #s which will improve. (two posts up)

glashole
07-03-2009, 04:02 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49530

its alot like an old school nanny

doesn't mind staying around and watching the kids play but when it comes time to do some spanking she is all business

have a good july 4th guys

Air 22
07-04-2009, 01:37 AM
My nanny at school wasn't old?..she was 23 and vivacious...:angel: :smileybo:

BUIZILLA
07-04-2009, 06:36 AM
My nanny at school wasn't old?..she was 23 and vivacious...:angel: :smileybo: at 23 she's a fanny, not a nanny.... just sayin' :shades:

Air 22
07-04-2009, 09:13 AM
at 23 she's a fanny, not a nanny.... just sayin' :shades:

:thumbsup: :angel:

Carl C
07-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Keyboard racing? My Nanny Fanny would smack me over the head for this kind of behavior. Most likely with the keyboard!

It is cool to see progress reports on the site here, I am doing the same thing as I dig into the SE.
But, posting a picture of a GPS after a test run and calling it good doesn't really prove much of anything.

Carl, there are several more runs coming up in the next few months. I hope to have the rehabbed Flowerpot
ready for Eufala or at the very least, the Cig 20 Run. I am sure the Thousand Islands, Hometown, and Possum Kingdom runs
would be geat places to run the boat, too. I have done all of them and can vouch for a great time to be had.

Plenty of rooms available, I am sure, so come show us what you got in real world conditions.

In the mean time, hey Ted, do me a favor and send me a pic of a GPS run from the Ilmor boat, I need a new avatar to post here.
Can you use the red rim gauge and silver bezel for it too? Something over 100+ would be good, and if you can get the angle shot....

I should have some better numbers to post tomorrow evening. Hopefully I'll get a good run in on Lake St. Clair with some fresh gas; I hope to hit my projected 83-84 mph. I'm not ready for an event. I need steering and gauges. I am also looking into clamp-on mufflers which I will need on some lakes. Also it's been a really busy spring and I haven't even opened up the summer cabin yet. Next summer I should make a major event and the boat will be "right".

Sweet Cheekz
07-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Hey Carl
Had to head back to GR but got a few fun runs in Lake Oakland A touch small for a 22 like yours I should think. Good luck tomorrow
Parnell

Carl C
07-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Hey Carl
Had to head back to GR but got a few fun runs in Lake Oakland A touch small for a 22 like yours I should think. Good luck tomorrow
Parnell

Yeah, it's more of a "rip around a few laps and drop anchor" lake. Remember that you were out there on a busy week-end too. Did you see any Donzis? Maybe a teal 22 or a black or yellow 18? Were you out there for the fireworks? I'm banned from Lake Oakland til I get clamp-on mufflers, lol.

Sweet Cheekz
07-06-2009, 07:51 AM
I met Tony with the white 18 with yellow stripes Nice guy There is a dark blue 22 with honey trim, all red 22 and a teal and white 22 Cops never said anything to me but most certainly a small lake Good luck today
Parnell
BTW Fireworks were great

Carl C
07-06-2009, 07:56 PM
I got out on Lake St. Clair today for a good run. It was really windy and the lake was a mess so we ran the St. Clair River up and into Lake Huron a ways. Took a break and ran back down to Brown's Bar for lunch. Checked out the lake and it was even worse! Yikes! Soooooooooo, contrary to what some folks here seem to think, I put safety first, therefore no new top end numbers to post. I was only able to hit full throttle once briefly on the river. There will be another day. Today's only casualty: a broken battery box which I fixed for now. Engine is running great. Temp seems good. Oil filter stays cooler than my 496 did. I can almost hold my hand on it! One concern: water pressure is 30 psi at speed. Is that going to cause a problem?

The Hedgehog
07-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I got out on Lake St. Clair today for a good run. It was really windy and the lake was a mess so we ran the St. Clair River up and into Lake Huron a ways. Took a break and ran back down to Brown's Bar for lunch. Checked out the lake and it was even worse! Yikes! Soooooooooo, contrary to what some folks here seem to think, I put safety first, therefore no new top end numbers to post. I was only able to hit full throttle once briefly on the river. There will be another day. Today's only casualty: a broken battery box which I fixed for now. Engine is running great. Temp seems good. Oil filter stays cooler than my 496 did. I can almost hold my hand on it! One concern: water pressure is 30 psi at speed. Is that going to cause a problem?

Wow, that is a bunch of water pressure. I run around 8-10 for the most part. If that is a real number you may want to think about a pop off valve.

Carl C
07-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Wow, that is a bunch of water pressure. I run around 8-10 for the most part. If that is a real number you may want to think about a pop off valve.

It's because of the shorty. How does a pop off valve go in and can I put in a sea strainer at the same time?

Carl C
07-06-2009, 09:41 PM
pop off valve can go on the strainer..

Does it go in the hose to the raw water pump? When the pop off valve pops where does the extra water go? Do I need a new through hull fitting?

If you send me one with an invoice I'll buy it:). (sea strainer w/ pop off valve)

Brian41
07-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Merc spec for water pressure is 30-50 PSI at 5100 rpm.

Carl C
07-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Merc spec for water pressure is 30-50 PSI at 5100 rpm.

So maybe it's OK? The pressure was around 10-15 with the 496. I was told that the shorty can cause too much raw water pressure by a mechanic at Club Royale Marine but I told him the psi hadn't changed (w/496). With the 525 it shot way up.

Carl C
07-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Ran 82.5 today on a hot, humid day with mufflers on :). To my advantage I was running light. Acceleration is unreal :).

Planetwarmer
07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
You couldn't take the pic while you were running 82.5? You had to wait until you stopped. Wheres your sense of adventure?:boggled:

mrfixxall
07-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Ran 82.5 today on a hot, humid day with mufflers on :). To my advantage I was running light. Acceleration is unreal :).

how doesit sound with the mufflers? it should feel more torquie with them..

Carl C
07-16-2009, 04:24 PM
how doesit sound with the mufflers? it should feel more torquie with them..

It does feel torquie but it is too quiet :).

MDonziM
07-17-2009, 08:09 AM
It does feel torquie but it is too quiet :).

So whats your overall opinion of the mufflers?

Carl C
07-17-2009, 08:24 AM
So whats your overall opinion of the mufflers?

Too f'n quiet!!! They really quiet it down at higher speeds. I suppose if you need clamp-ons you may not find a better looking muffler but frankly I think they are ugly and I like to hear my engine roar and I like to hear the loud lopey idle. I can't wait to take them off for a good run on big water next week. :)

One day I will do a top speed comparison with & without.

KerrLake
07-17-2009, 12:17 PM

What was it with the 496?

Carl C
07-17-2009, 12:49 PM
What was it with the 496?

With the 496 w/CMIs and the Imco shorty, otherwise stock, I topped 77 a couple times but could usually only hit 75 really aired out. Now really aired out and with mufflers I topped 82. I can easily top 80 even with a heavy load and not running "on the edge". When all is said and done I think I picked up 8 mph, a whole lot of mid range torque and durability by going with the 525. I put almost 30k into the boat this year and have no regrets. BTW, the CMIs did nothing over the stock 496 aluminum exhaust.

BigGrizzly
07-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Now your talking. I have herd that sometimes mufflers do increase usable power. On some of Hondas Baha rigs this proved to be true. In road racing MC this has also proven partially true.

Carl C
07-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Now your talking. I have herd that sometimes mufflers do increase usable power. On some of Hondas Baha rigs this proved to be true. In road racing MC this has also proven partially true.

Well yesterday the acceleration was like I've never felt before in a boat. It was more like being in a fast car but I was alone and low on fuel.

BigGrizzly
07-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Now I know your happy, this is a good thing. Now enjoy the boat and do the steering when funds become available. I am really glad you have seen light at the end of the tunnel:yes::yes::yes::yes: Life is really good when the boat exceeds expectations, and yours does.:yes::yes:

Air 22
07-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Well yesterday the acceleration was like I've never felt before in a boat. It was more like being in a fast car ...

Besides the top speed increase of almost 10mph...I experienced the same w our HP500EFI...Acceleration is AWSOME:yes:...mid-range punch sits u back into the seat...very kool:kingme:

Blue Motor's Rock....congrats Carl...now go have some fun...:yes: :wink:

Carl C
09-02-2009, 03:03 PM
I set a new personal best top speed yesterday of 82.6 but today I blew it away! 83.4!:yippie: I will post 84 before the season is done!:pimp:

Pismo
09-02-2009, 03:38 PM
That nice cool fall air will get you up.

BUIZILLA
09-02-2009, 03:45 PM
:yes: yeah it will... :pimp:

Pismo
09-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Did you sell the old 496? I don't want it, just curious. What prop are you running now?

Carl C
09-02-2009, 07:43 PM
That nice cool fall air will get you up.

Yeah, It should. Today was warm but low humidity. Tomorrow will be 79* they say. Got to get back out.

Did you sell the old 496? I don't want it, just curious. What prop are you running now?

Yes, the motor went to Germany! My prop is a BBlades 30p Bravo 1 with slight damage (nicks). I don't know what my rpms are.

Pismo
09-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah, It should. Today was warm but low humidity. Tomorrow will be 79* they say. Got to get back out.

Yes, the motor went to Germany! My prop is a BBlades 30p Bravo 1 with slight damage (nicks). I don't know what my rpms are.

Germany ...cool. I sold a boat to Sweden once..Lots of paperwork but fun.

Carl C
10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I was running easy 85s today with a best of 85.8. There is more; I was not on the ragged edge but I may have bumped the rev limiter once.

Pismo
10-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Cool..Love that cold air..Tighten those nuts on the outside aft top end of your gimbal, keep the steering tight until you Zeiger...Give them a good 1/2 turn or so each.

Air 22
10-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Nice Speed Carl...:yes:

Rev limiter w 30P Bravo.???....Time for a 32P BBlades Bravo...:pimp:...

Carl C
10-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Nice Speed Carl...:yes:

Rev limiter w 30P Bravo.???....Time for a 32P BBlades Bravo...:pimp:...

No tach yet so not sure but it started beeping once. Water pressure was good. I think the 30p will be just right for everyday use. See you all at LG. Scared yet?? Ha. Had a blast today on the water. My goal was to hit 85 and I almost saw 86. Can't wait to get the steering on.

Pismo, I've been checking those and they are tight. Soon I won't need them. They hold the tiller arm right?

Air 22
10-21-2009, 07:18 PM
The Beeping is the limiter...unless its the Po Po :convertib:chasing u down....:nilly:

I'm testing a labbed 30P this weekend as well...we will see...:crossfing:

The Dual Ram Full Hyd Zeiger sys will improve your boats stability...no more drive waddle(wag) etc...86 is in the cards for ya:party:......I'm not even close to those speeds...80-81 on an empty stomach...lol

Congrats...you're really moving now...just get that steering...:wink:

glashole
10-21-2009, 07:19 PM
very nice

blackhawk
10-22-2009, 10:14 AM
I was running easy 85s today with a best of 85.8. There is more; I was not on the ragged edge but I may have bumped the rev limiter once.

Carl, I knew you wouldn't let me down! Nice numbers. :yes:

glashole
10-22-2009, 10:46 AM
wonder what would be involved to get that to 90.....................

mrfixxall
10-22-2009, 10:55 AM
wonder what would be involved to get that to 90.....................

A 150 shot of NOS:biggrin.:

Bamboo Loui
10-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Hey Carl--- congrats on the numbers!!!!-- you need my steering and I need your engine, prop, and shorty-- Next year for me maybe--:):wink:
been off the thread for a couple of days and was pleasantly surprized!
I think two yellow 05s in Mi. doing that would be great.
doug

CHACHI
10-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Carl, now that you are in the mid-eighties, did you achive what you set out to do.

What would you do different if anything and most important, was it worth the money?

Nice numbers by the way.

Ken

Carl C
10-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Carl, now that you are in the mid-eighties, did you achive what you set out to do.

What would you do different if anything and most important, was it worth the money?

Nice numbers by the way.

Ken

My goal was 83-84 all along. I am looking for durability as well as speed. I wouldn't do anything different and hell yes it was worth every penny. You only live once and I'm not getting any younger. I will do the steering and wiring harness (for gauges) in time for spring. Still haven't winterized her, hoping to get out again.

One more thing: This project was possible largely because of this forum and the many members who were willing to share their knowledge and experience. Thanks to everyone here. And I WILL get that steering on.

Tony
10-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Yesterday might have been your last best day.
It's supposed to turn pretty lousy for the next week or so...

:beer:

Bamboo Loui
10-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Yeah, looks pretty bad. My wife are in florida right now-- way north in florida, but it hit 85 today with no humidity-- I looked at the ten day forecast and Mi. looks pretty bad. We come back the 2nd of Nov-- to what looks like an early winter.

I think I need more power than you Carl!! I live on a lake in SW Mi with only a 1 1/2 maybe 2 mile straight -- could never hit the 85 with your set up in that short of distance-- what do you think? seconds to WOT and your speed?:beer:

Have a guy with a bigger (24?)checkmate that was out hunting this year-- maybe I should have you bring the boat-- I know he was hunting for me- sat in the middle of the lake for more than an hour waiting-- he looks to do around 80-- he would think you ar eme since our boats look the same!!:cool!:

Carl C
10-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah, looks pretty bad. My wife are in florida right now-- way north in florida, but it hit 85 today with no humidity-- I looked at the ten day forecast and Mi. looks pretty bad. We come back the 2nd of Nov-- to what looks like an early winter.

I think I need more power than you Carl!! I live on a lake in SW Mi with only a 1 1/2 maybe 2 mile straight -- could never hit the 85 with your set up in that short of distance-- what do you think? seconds to WOT and your speed?:beer:

Have a guy with a bigger (24?)checkmate that was out hunting this year-- maybe I should have you bring the boat-- I know he was hunting for me- sat in the middle of the lake for more than an hour waiting-- he looks to do around 80-- he would think you ar eme since our boats look the same!!:cool!:

Those runs were on a mile and a half straight.

Carl C
10-23-2009, 08:33 AM
If I can post one more observation: While I acheived my speed goal and then some, 85 really doesn't feel all that fast! Not like in my Hydrostream where 85 was all white knuckles! I can see this hull being fully capable of 100 mph.

Bamboo Loui
10-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Given what I went through this summer-still without complete answers-- some could and probably is me, I wonder if the hulls are diff. You and I discussed we each had had Hydrostreams-- real chine walkers--but they were extremely fast boats.
I would like to find out if the boats are the same-because your numbers are close to what I will want. I just don't want to go back to the white knucle part everytime I take her out.

How much fuel when you made the runs? wind? etc.?

Your sold on the 502/525 w/shoorty pakage?:)

Mr X
10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
If I can post one more observation: While I acheived my speed goal and then some, 85 really doesn't feel all that fast! Not like in my Hydrostream where 85 was all white knuckles! I can see this hull being fully capable of 100 mph.
Oh it is..:wink:

blackhawk
10-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Carl, supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow. I say get out one more time and hand that thing out! :yes:

I think I might have to do the same. :D

Carl C
10-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Carl, supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow. I say get out one more time and hand that thing out! :yes:

I think I might have to do the same. :D

I plan to get out more this year. If the sun peaks out tomorrow I might head out.

Pismo
10-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Wait until you get your hydraulic steering, then you'll be able to take you hands off the wheel at 80...