PDA

View Full Version : Worthy of restoration ?? Need opinions....

Phil S
07-02-2009, 10:34 AM
My commute on I-85 tends to log-jam, so I often end up exiting onto backroads.

I happened upon this little diamond in the rough, and thought someone on here might appreciate it ! :wink:

Technically, it's not being advertised as being "for-sale", but I'm thinking they might entertain offers....:)

Ghost
07-02-2009, 11:34 AM
My commute on I-85 tends to log-jam, so I often end up exiting onto backroads.

I happened upon this little diamond in the rough, and thought someone on here might appreciate it ! :wink:

Technically, it's not being advertised as being "for-sale", but I'm thinking they might entertain offers....:)

Gotta be worth a fortune with all that opium in it.

Phil S
07-02-2009, 01:43 PM
I figure that even if I part it out, I could probably sell the trailer to Fred Flintstone for a few hundred....

I thought Roadtrip SE would enjoy seeing this one...:)

txtaz
07-02-2009, 06:04 PM
If it were red I would have mistaken it for "THE" Flower Pot.

:nilly::yes::eek::outtahere::umbrella::lol9::popco rn:

mrfixxall
07-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Looks to me like the beginning of the rocker hull days:)

Ghost
07-03-2009, 06:11 AM
...sell the trailer to Fred Flintstone for a few hundred....

Just now looked closely enough to see that...priceless!!

widowmaker
07-03-2009, 06:49 AM
That is a Dixie boat which was manufactured in Newton, North Carolina, near where I grew up. The company is no longer in business. My family knew the owners, and as a kid, I spent many hours running around in the Dixie plant observing their boat building process. My mother would drop me off at their facility while she visited family in that town.
In the late forties, they built their first boat in the bay of a service station that was operated by one of the original owners. It was a small hydroplane named "Miss Dixie" and they raced it locally. It was an apparent success, and they received requests to build more. Sometime later they launched into the full time building of plywood runabouts.
In the mid fifties, I remember asking one of the owners about the rising popularity of fiberglass boats that other manufacturers were producing. He told me that they would never catch on and that plywood construction was here to stay. Later, that same summer, I noticed an odd odor coming from a closed off area of one of their buildings. Upon inspection, I discovered workers experimenting with fiberglass. They soon thereafter changed over to full time fiberglass construction.
A bit later, my parents bought one of their fiberglass runabouts. The boats became very popular in the Carolinas and on lakes through out the southeast.
Thanks for the photograph. It brings back a flood of wonderful memories of my first in depth exposure to boat construction and boating in general.