PDA

View Full Version : Throttle/shifter ?

Tom Smith
07-01-2009, 03:05 PM
The throttle/shifter assembly on my 1967 18' 2+3 is pretty well worn. Howard O and I worked on it today, well, Howard did while I watched, and he managed to get all four screws back in the thing and it is now solidly mounted the the inner tub again, but it shifts very poorly. Has anyone replaced one of these old units with something newer, and if so, what worked for you. The cables appear to be plenty free going back to the carb and outdrive shifter thingy, but there is a fair amount of slop in the handle control. Would appreciater hearing from anyone who has had a similar problem and worked it out. Tom

MOP
07-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Is it the single lever Morse? If so they turn up on Ebay very frequently

Tom Smith
07-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Not sure of the brand, but it is the single lever with a button in the front of the opening to push in for neutral start and warm up. I'll see if I have a picture of it. Tried to upload the picture but it says I already uploaded the photo in Tom's Maiden Voyage a few days ago.

MOP
07-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Not sure of the brand, but it is the single lever with a button in the front of the opening to push in for neutral start and warm up. I'll see if I have a picture of it. Tried to upload the picture but it says I already uploaded the photo in Tom's Maiden Voyage a few days ago.

I am not sure who made that, I have only seen one or two many years back. You may be better off looking for a Morse and making up a nice backer plate.

Phil

HOWARD O
07-01-2009, 05:47 PM
I've seen a jillion shifters, however his was new to me. If Phil has only seen it a couple times, I don't think many probably have at all. But it's just plain worn out.

I was going to suggest something like the Morse MV-2 for his boat. It may or may not cover the existing cutout but we can either fill it or cover it with some kind of plate to make it look nice. Plus the ball can be replaced with a Donzi woody.
Quick search found this one, hopefully it can be found cheaper:

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=91605F

http://www.go2marine.com/go2_structure/9/1/6/0/91605F-f.jpg

BlownCrewCab
07-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Did you unhook the cables and work the cables by hand to insure it's the shifter and NOT the cables? Cables don't last as long as shifters.

Tom Smith
07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
It was about 100 degrees out there on the boat dock this morning so all we did was take out the 3 screws, look in there to see how it looked (worn) and put it back together using all 4 screws this time. I was going to take it out tonight and giver it a try but I am feeling a bit lousy and we also have possible thunder storms in the area. Hopefully I can give it a try tomorrow.
It moves better than it did, but the neutral detent is hard to feel, if at all. That was the problem the other night. I was ideling into the dock with my wife on board and when I pulled it back into neutral it stayed in foreward. I quickly cut the ignition but the bow was heading for under the dock with large galvanized bolts sticking out. I had to junp up on the deck, nearly breaking my arse, and stop the boat before it hit. I made it just in time, but I have a sore knee for it. So, needless to say, this has to be resolved before momma is going in it again.
Howard, thanks again for all the help, and if our fix today doesn't help, I will have to shop around for one of those units. Tom

HOWARD O
07-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Did you unhook the cables and work the cables by hand to insure it's the shifter and NOT the cables? Cables don't last as long as shifters.

I was going to, but quite frankly, I was afraid to disassemble it any further for fear of something breaking and not going back together. Then he would've been left with nothing and has family coming to use the boat this week. I didn't want him telling his grandkids, "sorry, no Donzi ride thanks to Howard breaking my shifter!" :shocking:

The cables do have a very straight shot to both the carb and to the thru-hull boot going to the outdrive though. Although it's difficult to tell without disassembly, the throttle cable at least was moving freely. I really think it's the shift mechanism.

HOWARD O
07-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Tom, sent you some links. One is on ebay for a nice starting price!

DonziBuoy
07-01-2009, 06:30 PM
I recently purchased a 16 ski sporter in what looked like great condition, but upon getting it home, almost everything was either not installed properly, needed rebuilding or replacement. I too have a morse shifter, gorgeous chrome thing with a single shift, a lower pull out button for neutral and an upper button which I cannot move. I have been going through everything and started her up and forward worked, just could not get her back into neutral easily and when I tried to reverse, nothing happened. Am I supposed to push that upper button down for reverse? If so, it is stuck solid. I really do not want to take the shift mechanism apart, as I fear parts falling back there. Thoughts anyone? outside thought, could it be the volvo penta drive? It will certainly make the throttle race in the reverse motion, just nothing happens.

Jim

BlownCrewCab
07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
[quote=

The cables do have a very straight shot to both the carb and to the thru-hull boot going to the outdrive though. Although it's difficult to tell without disassembly, the throttle cable at least was moving freely. I really think it's the shift mechanism.[/quote]

David (Donzi Vol) Had Toms (Donzi Racers) 16' with an outboard over here a few weekends ago, I ran it on the hose and all seemed fine because I never really used much throttle, David took it out and said it seemed to take a long time to plane. I grew up with the same boat with a 90hp merc, I know a 200 Yammy can stand it up on end. So I got to looking and I unhooked the throttle cable so I could move the throttle by hand while working on the motor, Then the motor came to life, as long as I did it by hand it would rev to 6k, hook up the cable and only get 3k. These where Good looking Red Jacketed cables and the throttle part of it I couldnt move by hand with both ends disconnected..So we put a new throttle cable on and David Lived Happily ever after:yes:

Yours could be the shifter, But check both ways just to be sure...

Conquistador_del_mar
07-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I recently purchased a 16 ski sporter in what looked like great condition, but upon getting it home, almost everything was either not installed properly, needed rebuilding or replacement. I too have a morse shifter, gorgeous chrome thing with a single shift, a lower pull out button for neutral and an upper button which I cannot move. I have been going through everything and started her up and forward worked, just could not get her back into neutral easily and when I tried to reverse, nothing happened. Am I supposed to push that upper button down for reverse? If so, it is stuck solid. I really do not want to take the shift mechanism apart, as I fear parts falling back there. Thoughts anyone? outside thought, could it be the volvo penta drive? It will certainly make the throttle race in the reverse motion, just nothing happens.

Jim

Jim,
What you are calling the upper button is nothing but a holder for the spring that pushes a ball against the mechanisms inside. My guess is that you have too much slop in the shift cable or the adjustment is out of tolerance to allow it to shift into reverse. Take your cover plate off the drive to see how much movement there is in the shifting yoke. If it doesn't move enough to shift correctly, you might start with a new shift cable and also check the shifter arm swing on the back of the shifter. Bill

DonziBuoy
07-01-2009, 07:36 PM
for advice. thanks - I will attempt to dissasemble the throttle cable - I pray for the Donzi Gods help so I do not lose any screws to the bilge. DOes anyone know what that top button on the Morse throttle is for? Maybe taking a dowel with a hammer to is is all I need to loosen it up or WD40 (I'll use that first) - If this Morse has a reverse lock out, then it all makes sense.

HOWARD O
07-01-2009, 07:36 PM
"Yours could be the shifter, But check both ways just to be sure... "

Absolutely. He needs a new shifter anyway, we'll see how the cables operate after that.

Tom, have a look at this! Nice job on the back plate! Same shifter as above too.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58274

DonziBuoy
07-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Bill that sounds like good advice, as it does seem to be play in it. Thanks, I will let you know.

Jim

Conquistador_del_mar
07-01-2009, 07:49 PM
for advice. thanks - I will attempt to dissasemble the throttle cable - I pray for the Donzi Gods help so I do not lose any screws to the bilge. DOes anyone know what that top button on the Morse throttle is for? Maybe taking a dowel with a hammer to is is all I need to loosen it up or WD40 (I'll use that first) - If this Morse has a reverse lock out, then it all makes sense.

Be sure to read my post about that "button". Bill

DonziBuoy
07-01-2009, 08:40 PM
I now know what that top button does, Bill you just saved another Morse shifter saved from the hammer.

Donzi Vol
07-01-2009, 08:58 PM
David (Donzi Vol) Had Toms (Donzi Racers) 16' with an outboard over here a few weekends ago, I ran it on the hose and all seemed fine because I never really used much throttle, David took it out and said it seemed to take a long time to plane. I grew up with the same boat with a 90hp merc, I know a 200 Yammy can stand it up on end. So I got to looking and I unhooked the throttle cable so I could move the throttle by hand while working on the motor, Then the motor came to life, as long as I did it by hand it would rev to 6k, hook up the cable and only get 3k. These where Good looking Red Jacketed cables and the throttle part of it I couldnt move by hand with both ends disconnected..So we put a new throttle cable on and David Lived Happily ever after:yes:

Yours could be the shifter, But check both ways just to be sure...

Haha. Yep...that's the story. Oh and Mike, I had to give the little 16 back to Tom's brother, but before I did I believe I hit 60 mph (at 6000 rpms). Don't tell Uncle Tom...oh wait:wink:

Thanks for all the help! Hope you're feeling better.

Tom Smith
07-01-2009, 09:06 PM
That one on e bay would be a great deal if I could get it for $195. The new one you pointed out is $320. But, I have no idea how e bay works, and no real desire to learn. But, I do like to save money to buy more bling for Bluebird. Tom

Tom Smith
07-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Where did that link go to the e bay controler.

Tom Smith
07-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Took the boat out tonight and the shifter worked a lot better. Much easier to find neutral. Howard O did a great job of taking the slop out of the handle. The holes for two of the four screws were enlarged so those screws would not bite. We reamed the holes out a bit with a drill bit and used #10 plastic sheetrock inserts and #10 stainless screws and they tightened down really well. Thanks buddy. Tom

Just Say N20
07-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I believe the shifter in the picture is a Teleflex unit. They are helpful. They sent me the instruction manual in pdf format.

I'm leaving for the lake, or I would try and find it to post.

HOWARD O
07-03-2009, 07:13 AM
That's great, Tom. But keep in mind that it was only a band-aid. That'll buy some time to find a deal on a shifter for you......give you some piece of mind as that's a pretty important piece of equipment should it fail! The ebay link I had sent was to your email, but here it is, still at $195.

Click here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Morse-MV-2-Side-Mount-Sailboat-Control-306950-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7 c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZ p3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2ea648c5d4QQitemZ200358 282708QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear)

If you're interested in it, give me a call. I've done a lot of ebay stuff, both buying and selling. This morning I'll be installing my new trim hose! :kingme:

Tom Smith
07-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Lost your # again. Another senior moment I am afraid. I would like to try to get that shifter on e bay. Would you do it for me? What should be our stopping price? We know they sell for #320 ner from the factory. Call me, I know you still have my #, you're younger..
Tom: Old Fart with a Young Farts Boat, "Bluebird"