PDA

View Full Version : Engine advice?

JamieP
07-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey guys,

I have a 22zx here in the UK with a 454 and the engine needs a lot of work, i dont want to get into throwing good money after bad and my mechanic is telling me to buy a new 383 with 400bhp, its about at the top of my budget but if its the wrong engine then i will look into something else, would this be a good engine option for my boat?

Regards Jamie:)

MOP
07-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Hey guys,

I have a 22zx here in the UK with a 454 and the engine needs a lot of work, i dont want to get into throwing good money after bad and my mechanic is telling me to buy a new 383 with 400bhp, its about at the top of my budget but if its the wrong engine then i will look into something else, would this be a good engine option for my boat?

Not sure if that would be the right choice, I run a 383 about 370hp in my classic my best speed is 65.5 on a good day. The classic is a lighter boat I think the zx will be a bit slower, I am very happy with mine but you may not be.

mrfixxall
07-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey guys,

Whats wrong with your engine? to much work involver going from a 454 to a 383..1 you will have to plug and reglass the holes in the transm then recut holes for the 383because the engne it not as wide as the 454..

JamieP
07-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Whats wrong with your engine? to much work involver going from a 454 to a 383..1 you will have to plug and reglass the holes in the transm then recut holes for the 383because the engne it not as wide as the 454..

Its badly corroded and down on compression on 2 cylinders, needs a new sump/manifolds/pulleys/dipstick holder.

He did mention the problem with the exhaust outlets but said he can mod the exhausts to come out the same holes, he has told me he has done this conversion a few times:)

mrfixxall
07-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Its badly corroded and down on compression on 2 cylinders, needs a new sump/manifolds/pulleys/dipstick holder.

He did mention the problem with the exhaust outlets but said he can mod the exhausts to come out the same holes, he has told me he has done this conversion a few times:)

post pics!! i dont think theirs enough room to zig zag the exhaust if you have silent choice exhaust.

How fast is the boat with the 2 bad cylinders? is he warming the engine before he does a compression test and opening the throttle whyle doing so?

The Hedgehog
07-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Like Fixx said, I would probably stay with the 454. Freshen it or get a new long block. You will probably spend more working in the 383

JamieP
07-01-2009, 11:06 AM
This is the best pic i have, (the engine was removed last night) i do have the silent choice exhaust, he has given me a fully fitted price which im happy with, just want to know if the 383 will do the job, i know it has more bhp and lighter but will the torque be less and will i suffer getting on the plane?:)

The current engine is not happy, its hard to start and down on speed.

mrfixxall
07-01-2009, 11:21 AM
This is the best pic i have, (the engine was removed last night) i do have the silent choice exhaust, he has given me a fully fitted price which im happy with, just want to know if the 383 will do the job, i know it has more bhp and lighter but will the torque be less and will i suffer getting on the plane?:)

The current engine is not happy, its hard to start and down on speed.

BTW nice supra!!! If it were mine i would rebuild the big block or find a 502:) im my eyes lets ue your supra for a example,after driving you supra the way it is now would you ever go back to the stock engine that was in the car when it was new?

I would say the 383 if its a stock merc motor would be a few mph slower,would it get you by for now ? yes..

HallJ
07-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Are you going to Goodwood?
I'll be there!

Jeff

JamieP
07-01-2009, 11:31 AM
BTW nice supra!!! If it were mine i would rebuild the big block or find a 502:) im my eyes lets ue your supra for a example,after driving you supra the way it is now would you ever go back to the stock engine that was in the car when it was new?

Thanks, i hear what you are saying, im pretty new to all this boating stuff so am looking to take advice from people here and my mechanic.

As far as im aware the 383 is lighter and has more power so why would it be a downgrade? is it a torque thing?

In the uk we dont have many V8 engines, There is not a great deal of V8 engine builders around like you guys have and ive been stung before with rebuilding car engines and I'm not sure i want to go down that road again.
If this 383 engine will match the 454 for speed and i get warranty with it I'm more than happy to go that route, i wont be looking at upgrading for more power.

Regards Jamie.:)

JamieP
07-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Are you going to Goodwood?
I'll be there!

Jeff

Not this year, good event, have fun:)

mrfixxall
07-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks, i hear what you are saying, im pretty new to all this boating stuff so am looking to take advice from people here and my mechanic.

As far as im aware the 383 is lighter and has more power so why would it be a downgrade? is it a torque thing?

In the uk we dont have many V8 engines, There is not a great deal of V8 engine builders around like you guys have and ive been stung before with rebuilding car engines and I'm not sure i want to go down that road again.
If this 383 engine will match the 454 for speed and i get warranty with it I'm more than happy to go that route, i wont be looking at upgrading for more power.

Regards Jamie.:)

let me call my engine guy and see if he could ship you a crate motor 502..ill pm you with a price and contact #

JamieP
07-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Ok thanks.

glashole
07-01-2009, 12:11 PM
I have seen a 502 22zx running 75mph without any modifications to the motor

also will disagree with the on the 22zx being slower than a classic with the same hp

I would tend to believe that when set up with exactly the same hp the zx would be faster

JamieP
07-01-2009, 12:14 PM
I have seen a 502 22zx running 75mph without any modifications to the motor

also will disagree with the on the 22zx being slower than a classic with the same hp

I would tend to believe that when set up with exactly the same hp the zx would be faster

If my zx will do 65 with a 383 and i have full uk warranty i will be more than happy.

MOP
07-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Jamie IMO you will probably be very close to if not at 65, the one thing you will like is the 383 does not burn as much fuel.

JamieP
07-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Im now looking at going with a 496, any advice on if it will fit or if anything needs modding?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58282