PDA

View Full Version : Trim tab questions....

HOWARD O
06-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Well, I have previously stated that I don't miss the trim tabs on my boat. I am changing my mind. More often than not, when I'm running there is almost always a list if there is a slight crosswind. Aside from being able to adjust for passengers.

I have a 23' Wellcraft that has tabs and although I haven't measured them, I think I'll steal everything I need off of that boat. They are Bennetts and they work well. I do know they are single ram. I wouldn't be considering this unless I had them on the other boat, can't beat the price. :yes:

Now here's my problem, if it is one at all. My 22' used to have Bennett tabs and some previous owner took them off. I do not know why. Only thing left behind was the rocker switches and the wiring to the switches, which I have since removed. I can see the previous mounting holes that were filled nicely, although I don't know what they used to fill the holes. Therefore, I am a little reluctant to use the same holes for installing anew. I have read threads in the past whereby some feel the tabs were installed from the factory too low anyway. Can I get past my "filled hole" problem by installing them a bit higher?

BlownCrewCab
07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
If you refering to the holes for the tabs on the transom. Just move the Tabs inboard toward the Drive enough that your new holes will be between the old holes. No need to move up unless they are too low. I Like mine Up 1/4" or more, up to 1/2"...But not less than 1/4" and when they are up, I like them well out of the water cause I don't want any kind of suction. and on my Burgers I like Real American Cheese.

HOWARD O
07-01-2009, 07:42 PM
If you refering to the holes for the tabs on the transom. Just move the Tabs inboard toward the Drive enough that your new holes will be between the old holes. No need to move up unless they are too low. I Like mine Up 1/4" or more, up to 1/2"...But not less than 1/4" and when they are up, I like them well out of the water cause I don't want any kind of suction. and on my Burgers I like Real American Cheese.

I'm getting the "donor" boat out of the water hopefully tomorrow.....get to see what size tabs it has on it. Here I was worried about height, hadn't thought to move them more to the inside. :boggled: Thanks! Oh, sometimes I'm in a cheddar mood. :cool:

MOP
07-01-2009, 10:36 PM
I am running 12X12 on my 22, you can move them inboard but not to far. To close and they can make the prop blow out, mount them with the leading edges about 1/2" up from the bottom of the hull. When you mount the rams make sure the trailing edges are about 1-1/2" up from the bottom of the hull so the run clear of the water flow at speed. You do not need any tab at WOT, but they are great for cruising speeds.

Phil

HOWARD O
07-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Just pulled the other boat out and they are 12x12's like yours, Phil.

Thanks for the tips, I am hoping to get the Donzi out in a couple weeks and install the tabs.