PDA

View Full Version : Red 1987 22c on ebay!!!

21GT
06-29-2009, 08:58 AM
noticed one there w/ no reserve!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150355019483&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MESELX:IT

jvcobra
06-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Looks like the one from craigslist that was listed for $8500. Based on the ad it looks like someone bought it and is trying to flip it.

Is all this stuff true about the 87' Donzi's????

"This is extremely hard to find 1987 Donzi 22 foot speed boat. So it great to be able to offer this Crimson Red & White 22 Foot speedster whipping thru the waves or coming in from a late run on the glass like water at dusk. The hull on the mid 80's Donzi's are rock solid and this one cuts thru the waves like a much larger boat. The 1987 Donzi is considered one of the very best years because the hulls were super strong and the engines had a 1 3/4" raised X dimension which gets the prop closer to the water line and letsthe hull lift up and GO GO GO. I am told that the 1987 22 is normally about 5 miles an hour faster than the others because of this little hidden trick."

Donzi Racer
06-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Looks like the one from craigslist that was listed for $8500. Based on the ad it looks like someone bought it and is trying to flip it.

Is all this stuff true about the 87' Donzi's????

"This is extremely hard to find 1987 Donzi 22 foot speed boat. So it great to be able to offer this Crimson Red & White 22 Foot speedster whipping thru the waves or coming in from a late run on the glass like water at dusk. The hull on the mid 80's Donzi's are rock solid and this one cuts thru the waves like a much larger boat. The 1987 Donzi is considered one of the very best years because the hulls were super strong and the engines had a 1 3/4" raised X dimension which gets the prop closer to the water line and letsthe hull lift up and GO GO GO. I am told that the 1987 22 is normally about 5 miles an hour faster than the others because of this little hidden trick."

From experience I can attest to the fact that the 1987 model was one of the final great Donzi's. The hulls were hand layed fiberglass from what I have been told. When they were sold to OMC in 1988/89 they started using a chopper gun to make them and while that is an industry standard maybe, it ain't the Donzi's that I grew up with, which were thick solid hulls that seem to go on & on. We have had Donzi's from 1966 to 1990 & the only one that was not the quality was the 1990 16. I really liked the 1990 and it was a blast but just not the superb quality the earlier ones are. Now as far as the higher X in the '87 I can only attest to the ones we have had. We have had 2, 1 small block that out ran stock 454's by 4 to 6 mph and a 454 that runs 70 mph right out of the box with no speed equipment what so ever. Both are GPS figures and they seem to lose their bite in the water much sooner when trimmed than others which seems is how a boat works when the X has been raised, from past experience.

With this 22 being offered with absolutely no reseve, someone might get a real deal. Time will tell. Tom "Jus wantin a Race"

jvcobra
06-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Cool, good to know. I have an 87' and really didn't know about the benefits.

Planetwarmer
06-29-2009, 03:27 PM
I have an all stock 1987 22C with the 454/Alpha combo and ran 63 mph on the gps with 5 adults and an ice chest. That is the only time that I gps'd it.

cutwater
06-29-2009, 04:14 PM
I have an all stock 1987 22C with the 454/Alpha combo and ran 63 mph on the gps with 5 adults and an ice chest. That is the only time that I gps'd it.

Haha, I don't even think I could plane off with 5 adults and an ice chest...

WifeHatesMyDonzi
06-29-2009, 05:05 PM
My 22 classic that cracked the block this winter is a 87. I didn't know it was such a "find". I'm thinking about selling mine instead of repowering, since I will have to pay a shop to do the rebuild. Anybody interested? I don't even know what it is worth with the bad motor.

Donzi Racer
06-29-2009, 05:17 PM
My 22 classic that cracked the block this winter is a 87. I didn't know it was such a "find". I'm thinking about selling mine instead of repowering, since I will have to pay a shop to do the rebuild. Anybody interested? I don't even know what it is worth with the bad motor.

I would be interested in talking to you about it. I like the 1987's. PM me if you get a chance and let me know color,outdrive, and condition. Thanks, Tom

VetteLT193
06-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Haha, I don't even think I could plane off with 5 adults and an ice chest...

I was just running my Minx @ 5000 RPM with 5 adults plus a packed cooler a couple of weeks ago. You need a cam and new exhaust :wink:

As far as 1987 22's go. Yep, they have the raised X. It's like buying the original Shelby!

ghiafreak62
06-29-2009, 10:41 PM
It is the same boat, I tried to buy it but was a day late.

Donzi Racer
06-30-2009, 03:04 PM
I was just running my Minx @ 5000 RPM with 5 adults plus a packed cooler a couple of weeks ago. You need a cam and new exhaust :wink:

As far as 1987 22's go. Yep, they have the raised X. It's like buying the original Shelby!

Does the raised X apply to the minx & the 18 footers too in 1987?

Tom

NJFASTECH
07-01-2009, 06:32 AM
I had some emails back and forth with the craigslist owner the morning he posted it he had lowered the price to 7900. So I would think maybe 7500 could by it.The auction is well over that now with some time still left. He may be trying to run it up seeing the last bidders indentity was blocked.
Here is some craigslist pics

VetteLT193
07-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Does the raised X apply to the minx & the 18 footers too in 1987?

Tom

It might be an Alpha thing in General. I haven't measured my Minx, but will do so with the info that MOP just posted in the General forum. We had been measuring relative to the transom, which does not work between 22C and Minx because the transom dimensions are much different between the two.

jvcobra
07-01-2009, 08:02 AM
I had some emails back and forth with the craigslist owner the morning he posted it he had lowered the price to 7900. So I would think maybe 7500 could by it.The auction is well over that now with some time still left. He may be trying to run it up seeing the last bidders indentity was blocked.
Here is some craigslist pics

Wonder what he did to shine her up. Sure looks a lot better in the ebay pics.

olredalert
07-01-2009, 08:36 AM
------Is that a leak running down the side of the drive or a seam???........Bill S

MOP
07-01-2009, 09:27 AM
------Is that a leak running down the side of the drive or a seam???........Bill S

Looks like it is coming out of the water pickup but who knows, the Ebay pictures are a lot different then real life. He will have a very disappointed buyer!

VetteLT193
07-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Looks like it is coming out of the water pickup but who knows, the Ebay pictures are a lot different then real life. He will have a very disappointed buyer!

i think the boat has been bought, cleaned up, fixed up, and now it is for sale again. notice the location.

cutwater
07-01-2009, 09:46 AM

Pretty sure the boat is in better shape now than when on Craigslist... Looks like someone did a nice job of cleaning it up.

Donzi Racer
07-01-2009, 11:08 AM
It might be an Alpha thing in General. I haven't measured my Minx, but will do so with the info that MOP just posted in the General forum. We had been measuring relative to the transom, which does not work between 22C and Minx because the transom dimensions are much different between the two.

Thanks Meow, the reason I ask is that I know the 1987 LE 18's that I have seen run around 65 mph and that is faster than most stock 18's. Buizilla used to have one that would fly and I think Lenny has it now. Seems like it would do 65 or better and I think it had an ss drive. Don't know if that came with it or was added later. I know from the speed figures on it now, I want some of what it's got. Tom

apollo24
07-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Pretty sure the boat is in better shape now than when on Craigslist... Looks like someone did a nice job of cleaning it up.

Looks like a good, solid 22. I am having Donzi withdrawal. This boat may end up L.A.- Lower Alabama.

apollo24
07-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Damn,

Missed it- got sniped in the last few seconds. Guess I won't be a Donzi owner again for a while after all. :boggled:

CaribouLou
07-07-2009, 12:15 AM
something didn't sit right with me about this boat, thats why I didn't bid...

Donzi Racer
07-07-2009, 01:09 AM
something didn't sit right with me about this boat, thats why I didn't bid...

Cariboulou, You missed a good one there. It was fantastic as far as driving, handling, & performance on a 22 year old boat. Never seen one so average to rough on the outside and so clean & fresh on the inside, when it was picked up. The motor, bravo drive, & transom assembly were like new. Those looked like and performed like new. Lots of options for a old Donzi. I was pulling for my friend Ben to have it. That way I could still go visit him and drive the Darlin. I guarantee the winner will have a big smile on his face while he is tooling around in this one. Mainly because he will realize he is getting the pleasure of having a classic Donzi that performs like a new one for a small fraction of what the new ones retail for. Not too many items in this world that you can find that some of the old ones are about as good as new, even sometimes better. Good luck with your continued search, yours has got to be out there somewhere. Tom

Donzi Racer
07-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Gear oil leaking out the water p/u?

Don't we know this seller??

You probably do not know the seller but a lot of you know the guy that was nice enough to help another Donzi Brother put his Donzi on Ebay & let it reach it's true value on an Absolute Auction! Which is the only fair thing to do when the owner changes his mind and bought a much more high performance Donzi right after he commited to this one and wanted to sell this one quick & easy with no muss, no fuss & NO RESERVE! No Reserves & no funny business, just let it go to what it is truly worth. If it went to $5500, then he would be satisfied to take a little loss since he got the bargain of the century on his new Donzi Toy. He was so happy with his fresh Donzi purchase he could have given this Donzi away and come out way ahead. But as so many people say, when you have money it seems to gravitate to you. Let um know you are coming, Open the pipes & HIT THE NITROUS, jus a racin, Tom

PS although he did not list this Donzi on the Registry for sale because of the horror stories about so many members bashing other people boats that they do not know anything about, I am sure he would like to make a Generous Donation to the Board to continue the insightful articles and for all the help it lends to anyone needing help with their Donzi as long as they are not selling them on the FOR SALE section, cause that part of the site, SUCKS! T

roadtrip se
07-07-2009, 11:27 AM
PS although he did not list this Donzi on the Registry for sale because of the horror stories about so many members bashing other people boats that they do not know anything about, I am sure he would like to make a Generous Donation to the Board to continue the insightful articles and for all the help it lends to anyone needing help with their Donzi as long as they are not selling them on the FOR SALE section, cause that part of the site, SUCKS! T

Tom,

I moderated this area of the site for about five years. I gave it up for personal reasons, but I think this area is still pretty well moderated, all things considered.

I find your comments just a bit pointed, and a little off. I guess the statment, "Slippery When Wet" would describe my impressions from this set of circumstances, even though I have no skin in this game.

What I find very interesting is that you DID use this area of the site to promote the merits of the 87 22 Classic, while just happening to have one avaialble for sale, and then slammed the board after it sold else where. Chances are pretty good that your buyer might have utilized this site to do some research on his pending purchase. That makes you more than just a bit of a hypocrite.

I for one have sold and bought many things on this board, including boats. Some were never officially listed, I just knew that they were available or I made it known that I had something that was available. And then the deal went down. Never a bad deal, between friends in the community. And no games.

I for one would not engage you in any transaction, formal or informal, based on this set of circumstances. Too many dark shadows and most folks I know here don't do business that way.

mattyboy
07-07-2009, 11:33 AM

another reason that the classified Donzi for sale section should not be interactive it should be just a classified. another practice that should be stopped is the look what i found on the web "not Mine" why should we give free exposure to someone who didn't post here in the first place??? There are enough tools on the boards that people can exchange info on boats without trashing the ad. not to mention that their are so many tools now to search ebay and craigslist that posting someone elses's ad here is not necessary a search of the united states takes seconds
sorry the classified section should be for members who have a donzi for sale that's it if you are not selling or buying you are just looking then look that's it

Donzi Vol
07-07-2009, 11:56 AM
What I find very interesting is that you DID use this area of the site to promote the merits of the 87 22 Classic, while just happening to have one avaialble for sale, and then slammed the board after it sold else where. Chances are pretty good that your buyer might have utilized this site to do some research on his pending purchase. That makes you more than just a bit of a hypocrite.

Well I stayed out of this as long as I could. I don't need to speak for my uncle here. He's a big boy, he can take care of himself. However, I do have a problem with this whole deal. First off, he did NOT post this ad on here. It was posted by another member. The only things said by Donzi Racer were inquiries about the raised X-dim on '87 model Donzi's.

A while back I was speaking ill of an ad on the registry and matty called me on it. I'm glad that he did. At first it ticked me off, but we had some private message convos about the whole deal and we came to an understanding of one another. Now I go to him for advice on the classic Donzi's that I love so much.

Again, I don't have a dog in the fight, just hate to see a perfectly good Donzi and a long-time board member being spoken ill of all in one thread.

Donzi Racer
07-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Tom,

I moderated this area of the site for about five years. I gave it up for personal reasons, but I think this area is still pretty well moderated, all things considered.

I find your comments just a bit pointed, and a little off. I guess the statment, "Slippery When Wet" would describe my impressions from this set of circumstances, even though I have no skin in this game.

I for one have sold and bought many things on this board, including boats. Some were never officially listed, I just knew that they were available or I made it known that I had something that was available. And then the deal went down. Never a bad deal, between friends in the community. And no games.

I for one would not engage you in any transaction, formal or informal, based on this set of circumstances. Too many dark shadows and most folks I know here don't do business that way.

If you have something to say to me, come on out and say it. If you think it is too personal, then pm me. I have had a real problem with someof the comments on the Boats for sale section in the past and when I put a boat up for sale I am sure it helped me get answers and interest in the ones I sold but found it interesting that I do not remmember selling one from the registry. They all sold off ebay or in person. There were over 30 questions on ebay about this boat which is much more than normal. They were all either about a buy it now price or delivery or financing. No questions about condition, performance, or ? I truly believed that was due to the fact that the ad covered all that. The ad was completely true to the best ability of the writer along with his knowledge and LOVE of the Donzi Classic boat. The answers I gave were as factual as I could be about not this Donzi but the year in general. As far as screaming that it was me that listed the boat on Ebay, I felt that this was a perfect oportunity to test this observation that I had that people, especially confessed DOnzi People should not slam, make inuendos, say anything about anothers persons boat unless they know the boat and even then only if there is a discrepancy in the description. You must realize that I knew that the Registry was not going to sell this Donzi unless it had a asking price of $8500 or less and I just wanted to see what would happen if someone did not say that is mine and then they would be too afraid, embarrassed, kind, or polite to say some of the things that were said. I have bought some of the Donzi's from the SALE section so please understand it is my favorite part of the registry BUT if you are going to moderate it, do it for members and others that have a boat that may have untrue things assumed or said about it that may hurt either the seller or finally the buyer when he finally finds this wonderful site and becomes a member and goes back and reads things about his boat that are not true and he feels like the idiot in class that bought something that no one else would. Finally this auction has some good news for us Donzi owners. It is an indication that for nice older model Donzi Classics there is a real good market and that the 5 or 6 bidders that bid above the 10k mark on this boat they need a boat since they did not get this one and wouldn't it be nice if we could entice them over to the registry to look at some of the what I feel are bargains here. As far as Dark Shadows why don't you PM or get in touch with me and let me know how you feel & if we can work it out fine and if not fine too. I only hope this has finally made this matter come to a head about the bashing on others boats when you might think something but really don't now for sure. My Daddy said if you don't know for sure keep your mouth shut. My Mother said when you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. All I want to do is enjoy the greatest boat in the world, like I have for the last 43 years. Tom

BUIZILLA
07-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Tom, just a schoolboy observation, but if this wasn't YOUR boat then why is it listed in YOUR signature of YOUR stated OWNED boats??

i'm sure this is a minor clarification, so don't assume this was an intended slam...

I will say this much, this boat at 14.3 assures me rock solid of the value on mine when I list at soon at 28k....

Donzi Racer
07-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Tom, I think it is only fair to post my response to your PM here..

My response:

So, I guess your saying you just brokered it, you don't own it or have a stake in the sale??

If so, then perhaps my comments are uncalled for. However, it still stands to reason that if you had personal knowledge of the boat AND were handling the auction for our mystery seller, for you to jump in and shill it is kind of sneaky at best, certainly unethical at the worst.

Maybe if you had admitted you knew the boat, knew what had been done to it, knew it's present condition etc, and informed people who expressed an interest in it of these things, then others here who passed on bidding on it might have felt more comfortable bidding, and you could have gotten your mystery seller a better price while helping a board member get the boat of their dreams..

As far as the For Sale section sucking, you play in it a lot, so if you have suggestions to improve it I would think you would tender them rather than just advising folks to not use it. For a guy who flips boats pretty regularly I would think this section would be something you would want to use to your advantage..

Almost everything you say is completely right on except that I wanted to really see what people would say about the boat without me stopping them by letting them know for sure who was selling it. If you look back over the posts all the positive things that were said were true observations that came from members that know me and could tell that the boat was listed by me for the following reasons, I am from Decatur Alabama before moving to Titusville FL. 2nd that the boat has pictures with the enlarge feature and I am driving the boat in all the pictures except when my precious neice wanted to sit in the drivers seat and being the marketing guy that I am, I thought it was a cute shot and took it and used it. I did not shill the thread. I said nothing about the boat but the obvious, it HAD NO RESERVE & what a wonderful oportunity to buy a Donzi without a set price either too HIGH " cough cough" or low. You set the price. I believe there are a few people out there on the board with rare Donzi's that can afford to take a chance financially, and I challenge them to drop their Beautiful Donzi Queens on eaby with a dollar starting price and NO RESERVE and no funny business with shill bidding either. I guarantee I will bid on everyone of them that are the classics. EVERY ONE OF THEM. Once again I love the registry but am tired of the constant bashing of unknown people that are selling Donzi's and this was a wonderful oportunity to see it in action. If I would have said something to the others that did not realize it was me,which they should have if they looked close enough,then none of the post would have materialized. If you doubt my honesty or sincerity in this I have a few members that I told what I was doing and that is why I did not want to start the thread. I just could not tell you the moderator until the auction was over. Now lets clean up this mess and everyone remember if you have a somewhat opinion and it is not a possitive thing then pm your moderator and let them know. By the way I wll not put my hard work where my mouth is and be a moderator or monitor or bouncer,because I know how hard you guys work and I do not have the time. Now excuse me I am on my way north to pick up a GREAT DONZI BOAT that has been for sell on this site for 3 years and not grabbed up. Well consider it GRABBED!!! Guess which one? And if I decide to sell it on Ebay, and someone puts the ad on here I will be sure to full disclose the fact that it is me that is selling it and answer any questions about why it had not sold before & why I will enjoy hell out of it until I sell it. Everybody up and back to normal, we are running smoth again. Hoped I have helped answerred any questions on my motives now and if not you are welcome to call, email, or pm me. Tom

PS as a result of this experiment, I am now actively looking for any 1966 to 1988 Donzi Classics that might be out there. Like mercs with alpha or bravo drives are best. Please call me at 256-777-0844 or email me at mishunaire@aol.com and I will be happy to take yours to a new home. Cash always available and consignments welcome. Scott where can I make that donation and how? T

VetteLT193
07-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm guessing you are picking up metra's testa.

I might be talking to you about my Minx soon, haven't heard from the 'buyer' yet.

roadtrip se
07-07-2009, 12:59 PM
If you have something to say to me, come on out and say it.

Oh, I think I did just what you described. As for Momma and Daddy sayings, I have one for you from my Grandpappy, a decorated WWII vet, "Always shoot straight!"

Your little expirement just back-fired and you got called on it, so accept it for what it is. I think what you did made you look worse than the critics that sometimes pop up here that you are so aptly complaining about.

As for suggesting no one would pay a fair price for this boat here and having never sold a boat here, well I have experience in this area too, as I have done some brokering on this site, too.

Two examples come to mind:

1) A real nice 1996 BHLE #32 that sold for $33,500.

2) A real nice 2001 33ZX with 500EFIs that sold for $133,500.

Both sold to people right here, not EBAY, at very good prices for the age and condition of the subject boats. Some people don't want the hassle of retailing their old boats, and I got good deals put together for folks right here with no shennanigans and straight-up representation.

Always two ways to look at things. I'm done.

Donzi Racer
07-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Tom, just a schoolboy observation, but if this wasn't YOUR boat then why is it listed in YOUR signature of YOUR stated OWNED boats??

i'm sure this is a minor clarification, so don't assume this was an intended slam...

I will say this much, this boat at 14.3 assures me rock solid of the value on mine when I list at soon at 28k....

That was the point that I was making in the long drawn out post thatI was writing while you slipped this little ditty in. I have always said these little jewels are at bargain prices and there are people out there still with money that want to enjoy something wonderful in life and there is almost nothing better than the 10k to 20k Donzi to do that. What else can you show up in and Multi millionaires will fall all over themselves to get a look or a ride? Oh yea & I almost forgot it cost you only 10k?

I include all the boats that pass thru my hands on my signature. It will be up to around 20 when I get back from the trip I am heading out on now. Florida to boston, to michigan, to Missouri to Decatur Alabama.If anyone has one for sale along that route, please let me know.

Now as far as you Critter, I am sorry to hear that you will be considering selling it but I think you could afford to take a chance also. I challenge you, to put it on ebay with NO RESERVE at a Dollar and let er rip. I promise I will be bidding on it. Now come on boys lets see who has the guts? Hmmm? The one thing I can promise you is that it will sell, and it will be quick and painless.

ALso Jim cannot wait to tell you about the 22 I just pulled into Meritt Island with. Just remind me to tell you about the Lingerfelter 22 TESTA ROSSA. It reminded me of something you or Big grizz would get a big kick out of.

Thanks, Tom

Donzi Racer
07-07-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm guessing you are picking up metra's testa.

I might be talking to you about my Minx soon, haven't heard from the 'buyer' yet.

I do not love the fact that the guy did not show up, but I would love to have it. That is one fine looking classic. Thanks and give me a shout if I can help you with it. That is what I try to do. ha ha Tom 256-777-0844

Donzi Racer
07-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh, I think I did just what you described. As for Momma and Daddy sayings, I have one for you from my Grandpappy, a decorated WWII vet, "Always shoot straight!"

Your little expirement just back-fired and you got called on it, so accept it for what it is. I think what you did made you look worse than the critics that sometimes pop up here that you are so aptly complaining about.

As for suggesting no one would pay a fair price for this boat here and having never sold a boat here, well I have experience in this area too, as I have done some brokering on this site, too.

Two examples come to mind:

1) A real nice 1996 BHLE #32 that sold for $33,500.

2) A real nice 2001 33ZX with 500EFIs that sold for $133,500.

Both sold to people right here, not EBAY, at very good prices for the age and condition of the subject boats. Some people don't want the hassle of retailing their old boats, and I got good deals put together for folks right here with no shennanigans and straight-up representation.

Always two ways to look at things. I'm done.

Thanks for that last analogy TRIP, and I have always been one to believe we have the right to disagree. I am sure there are some nice Donzi's sold on this site although the ones that you list are a bit out of my range and most of the friends and clients that I run into. I have put 4 older Classics and someone put this last ebay ad on & although a DOnzi registry member was in the fight right up till the end, that is 5 up and 5 down. So for the type of boats that I find, personal sales or ebay is the way for me, not saying it would be that way for others. And if I see the Sale site get better in this economy , I will be right here with them. I will say if any of my ebay ads are ever put on here I will of course confirm that it is me ruinning it. I have proven my point as I wanted to and please remember I informed Donzi Members what I was doing before it ever was listed on the registry by someone other than me. I was definitely not trying to do anything wrong as far as the sale went, just see what people would say if they did not know. ANd yes I did stir the pot a bit by posting answers to general questions or ask things that I was truly interested in. But the rest was right there square in their face. This is my last post to you also as we will agree to disagree if this is not enough of an answer for you. Remember the boat is what it is, it sells itself as long as you describe it correctly and get to the 6000 people that viewed it on Ebay. I truly do not know why I keep telling all my secrets. Take care of that beautiful lake you got up there. Tom

BUIZILLA
07-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh yea & I almost forgot it cost you only 10k? 10k????????? uh, no... seriously wrong....

mike o
07-07-2009, 01:33 PM
From experience I can attest to the fact that the 1987 model was one of the final great Donzi's. The hulls were hand layed fiberglass from what I have been told. When they were sold to OMC in 1988/89 they started using a chopper gun to make them and while that is an industry standard maybe, it ain't the Donzi's that I grew up with, which were thick solid hulls that seem to go on & on. We have had Donzi's from 1966 to 1990 & the only one that was not the quality was the 1990 16. I really liked the 1990 and it was a blast but just not the superb quality the earlier ones are. Now as far as the higher X in the '87 I can only attest to the ones we have had. We have had 2, 1 small block that out ran stock 454's by 4 to 6 mph and a 454 that runs 70 mph right out of the box with no speed equipment what so ever. Both are GPS figures and they seem to lose their bite in the water much sooner when trimmed than others which seems is how a boat works when the X has been raised, from past experience.

With this 22 being offered with absolutely no reseve, someone might get a real deal. Time will tell. Tom "Jus wantin a Race"... Is this where the experiment started. I kinda feel like a laboratory animal.:kingme: Nice job on the gelcoat.:kingme:

Donzi Racer
07-07-2009, 01:34 PM
So, let me get this straight: you ARE the mystery seller you referred to?

No Scott, I went and picked up the boat for the customer that bought the boat and brought it back to Decatur to clean it up and do the magic to it that you saw for the seller. When a couple days after I got it one of our homes, I found the buyer the GREATEST DONZI FIND in this or any other world and he decided to go ahead & sell the Crimson & White Donzi and go for the best DONZI I have ever seen in my 40 odd years of looking at them, which he eventually bought and that I just finished delivering to him in Merrit Island FLorida. I always list the Donzi's that I have had even for a short time on my Signature. This was not my boat to sell. Thanks for the ones that understood what I was trying to accomplish and to the ones that got their hands caught in the cookie jar or cannot see the trees for the forrest as far as far as we need to police the site better about negative or derogatory comments about anyones boat that ends up here not just our friends or other members. That will make this site a great opportunity for everyone to enjoy cause from a good ole country boy that looked for a single DONZI to buy for 10 years in Alabama, this site and the florida area that we have moved down here to, have opened my eyes to the amazing world of available Donzi's and the site is great for finding them just not for selling them yet, but know it can be. Tom

jvcobra
07-07-2009, 01:35 PM
I just want to know how you got it cleaned up so well, did it need a wetsanding?

BTW, congrats on the sale. I almost let mine go for 16k and I'm glad I didn't.

cutwater
07-07-2009, 01:37 PM
10k????????? uh, no... seriously wrong....

Reread... I don't think he meant "you" specifically :wink: But I'd give you $10k right now, no questions asked :wink: Haha, and an extra $500 for Bill's El Pescador. :yes:

CaribouLou
07-07-2009, 01:42 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Donzi Racer
07-07-2009, 01:46 PM
... Is this where the experiment started. I kinda feel like a laboratory animal.:kingme: Nice job on the gelcoat.:kingme:

Thanks and even though I did not list or ask anyone to list the ad on Donzi Registry, I knew someone would and then the sniping and inuendos would start until they found out whos boat or who was selling the boat. As soon as it was announced who was selling the boat, the snipes & enuendos might have continued but it would be by private messages and emails as it should be. If you read any of my lengthy posts and then the ebay ad, most people that know me, knew that it was me. I had a lot of them call or email about it and I asked them to just wait see what would be said about the boat if they thought they were putting down someones boat they did not have to answer for. I am so sorry you felt like a laboratory rat, I must say that you just said what you felt and then after I informed you what I know of 1987 boats, not neccesary this one and a couple confirmed my beliefs, you were very gentlemanly and came back and said nice things. I appreciate the opportunity to let us all see this because no one really said anything terrible, it is just a lot of them said what they were thinking without thinking of how it might affect someone else. Hopefully we can get it going great and as the harbormaster said recently, & I parafrase since I do not have it in from of me but he was very concerned about the reputation the site was getting and that people were affraid to put their Donzi Boats on this forum because of what would be said about them. If I am off on his content someone let me know. Thanks again, Tom

Donzi Racer
07-07-2009, 01:55 PM
I just want to know how you got it cleaned up so well, did it need a wetsanding?

BTW, congrats on the sale. I almost let mine go for 16k and I'm glad I didn't.

Cobra, that is exactly what should be going on in this site. Wow did ya'll see that piece of shiXXXX uh I mean that boat that was on craigs list that looked like something that had been rode hard and put up wet a thousand times? Well all I want to know is what did he do in the 3 days to bring that boat back to the beauty that it is now? And I appreciate that because I am not a normally hands on person but since I had the worst flu in whenever, I had time to work on it and do what I call my magic. You must know that I was standing there when I picked it up and could not believe the condition of the gell. God awful is how I described it to the customer. I had no way of knowing it would come back like that. I would have bet $1000 it would not have ended up even a 5 front to back and now I think it is a 7 to 8 on a 1-10 scale. I will be glad to divulge my secret to another Donzi Brother but only if you pm or email me directly. Thanks again for participating. Tom

Donzi Racer
07-07-2009, 02:04 PM
10k????????? uh, no... seriously wrong....

Not your boat cost you 10k Jim, but the boat I was talking about in the imaginary scenerio with the millionaires. The first x-18 I bought and took my wife for a ride after not having one for 15 years and we buzzed a multi million dollar Yacht and the wonderful yuppies on board jumped up from their loungers and ran from one side of the yacht to the other to see this little classic Donzi and I looked at my dear sweet wife, who I was trying to convince into letting me spend $10,000 to buy and said, See there sweety it is kind of hard to believe that this kind of attention a old boat gets from these multi millionaires and it only cost 10k. You could have driven a quarter million dollar Ciggerette up their asses and they would not have even looked up from their drinks. ALso the Best Donzi I ever saw and just delievered that I believe would bring over 30k at Barret Jackson if it were behind a old corvette, it also just cost 10k. That is the one that I thought you would be interested in hearing about. Privately of course. Sorry if you thought I was saying your wonderful Critter cost that although there may have been a time in history you could have picked up one for 10k. Tom

CaribouLou
07-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Donzi Racer, clean your PMs

Donzi Racer
07-07-2009, 07:40 PM

Will do Lou, I opened up my computer this evening and I had been bombarded with PMs! Can't wait to see what kind they are, good ones or ? Tom

PS LOU there is some room on the PM site for you to pm now if you like. Thanks for all the support we have had from our Donzi Brethren on this matter & I am finished my venting. T

chappy
07-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Karma.

apollo24
07-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Tom,

I want to be one to thank you for selling me my first Donzi (X-18) in 2004 and delivering it to my house in Mobile, AL from your home in South FL, and not charging me a penny. You sold me the boat for less than most folks' trailer costs. I was very young and you really wanted to see me get into one and you even offered to finance it for me. If it weren't for your help I'd have bought that Whaler instead and never gotten into the brand and never met a lot of great people who have lived and learned a lot more than me, and a few of whom have a helluva lot more time on their hands than they should, judging by the whining :wink:.

Whether or not you think Tom's great doesn't much matter to me. I will say that he has brought a plethora of classic Donzis back to life and, for a fact, would gladly drive cross country to find you one and ask for very little in return.

I think that we all need to spend a little less time critiqueing roads to a sale and be happy that this 1987 22 Classic was cleaned up, put out there and ended up selling for good money. Makes me wish I had waited a little longer to sell my X! See, Obama's stimulus has done wonders for Donzi values. Okay, nevermind. I have to put this nail polish away. My wife's coming!

Cheers-

Donzi Vol
07-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Tom,

I want to be one to thank you for selling me my first Donzi (X-18) in 2004 and delivering it to my house in Mobile, AL from your home in South FL, and not charging me a penny. You sold me the boat for less than most folks' trailer costs. I was very young and you really wanted to see me get into one and you even offered to finance it for me. If it weren't for your help I'd have bought that Whaler instead and never gotten into the brand and never met a lot of great people who have lived and learned a lot more than me, and a few of whom have a helluva lot more time on their hands than they should, judging by the whining :wink:.

Whether or not you think Tom's great doesn't much matter to me. I will say that he has brought a plethora of classic Donzis back to life and, for a fact, would gladly drive cross country to find you one and ask for very little in return.

I think that we all need to spend a little less time critiqueing roads to a sale and be happy that this 1987 22 Classic was cleaned up, put out there and ended up selling for good money. Makes me wish I had waited a little longer to sell my X! See, Obama's stimulus has done wonders for Donzi values. Okay, nevermind. I have to put this nail polish away. My wife's coming!

Cheers-

Ben, thanks for speaking up, as I have felt that I shouldn't do in this arena. I will say one thing, though. The X-18 you had was the boat that I grew up on, and it doesn't surprise me one bit that Tom would think more of the new owner (you) who gets to enjoy it than he would of any coin made off of it.

As mentioned in another post, we have some "BS detectors" here. I believe it is a total of 2. I understand your points, honestly I do, but I believe that we all need to spend a little more time out on the water rather than chastising a long-time member because he may or may not have done things just the right way.

There's my two cents...take it as you will. I'm getting back to work now. If I'm ever going to finish that triple hatch I had better!

All the best,
David

HOWARD O
07-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I am going to say this once and am not going to discuss it further.

Donzi Racer bought this boat in Delaware. He was going to meet Tom Smith, to whom he had sold his barrelback, when Tom first launched it. I was going to be there (and was) to lend a hand and a support boat for the big event. I was also interested in seeing Donzi Racer's 22 and to meet the man himself. Unfortunately, he couldn't make it and trucked that red 22 down south.

Donzi Racer had asked that we don't mention his buying that red 22. I thought that strange, but no harm, no foul. That's his business.

As soon as this 22 showed up here as an ebay auction, I was pretty surprised. I knew who owned the boat and I saw that he was making comments about it as if he were a neutral observer just like everyone else. This naturally got my hackles up.

I am not going to get into what I think about a person that obviously knew that there was at least one member that knew the truth here and just continues to put said member on the spot to keep his mouth shut.......possibly to the detriment of other members interested in said boat. That's already been stated pretty eloquently in previous posts. FWIW, I did not keep my mouth shut and am glad I did not. :cool:

I do want to add that I am glad that there is someone out there buying and selling these boats. If not for that, who knows what would become of them?

Donzi Racer
07-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I am going to say this once and am not going to discuss it further.

Donzi Racer bought this boat in Delaware. He was going to meet Tom Smith, to whom he had sold his barrelback, when Tom first launched it. I was going to be there (and was) to lend a hand and a support boat for the big event. I was also interested in seeing Donzi Racer's 22 and to meet the man himself. Unfortunately, he couldn't make it and trucked that red 22 down south.

Donzi Racer had asked that we don't mention his buying that red 22. I thought that strange, but no harm, no foul. That's his business.

As soon as this 22 showed up here as an ebay auction, I was pretty surprised. I knew who owned the boat and I saw that he was making comments about it as if he were a neutral observer just like everyone else. This naturally got my hackles up.

I am not going to get into what I think about a person that obviously knew that there was at least one member that knew the truth here and just continues to put said member on the spot to keep his mouth shut.......possibly to the detriment of other members interested in said boat. That's already been stated pretty eloquently in previous posts. FWIW, I did not keep my mouth shut and am glad I did not. :cool:

I do want to add that I am glad that there is someone out there buying and selling these boats. If not for that, who knows what would become of them?

Howard your and my emails were not with me fully understanding what you were having a problem with. Now I understand. When I told you to be quite about who bought the 22, it was sold or bought for the customer I went to get it for. I just did not want everyone on the Registry knowing my business. I could not understand why you took offence to me asking you that? I now understand. I just wanted to keep it quite since It was going to my client and I thought that was his business not everyone elses. When I was not able to meet you and Tom for the splash party, it was because all of a sudden I had found the same customer a much more desireable boat. I never thought to call you or email you and tell you our plans had changed and he was not going to keep the boat. You were not one of the 6 members & friends that I told the guy had decided to sell the boat. I don't think I told them to keep quiet just because I wanted witnesses to the fact that I was not going to say anything about the boat being listed by me, but I am at least grateful that I have them now to know I was not trying any funny business about selling the boat, but was just curious to see how brutal people would be if they did not know who's boat or who was selling it. If anyone really thinks about it, if I was trying to get a better price for the boat, I damn sure would have said that I knew the boat and that the comments about the boat were overstated or purely wrong. I just cannot get over people thanking that I was trying to do something deceitful. I only wanted to see how the registry peanut gallery would react. Please remember that I asked the 6 people not to list the link to the boat because if it had not gotten up on the registry yet, & it would not have been any skin off my nose if it never showed up there. I will say that I should not have poked the bear by posting at all after the link was listed, but I was getting riled up with the comments that were coming up. I agree I should have said something earlier to someone about the registries reputation for the know it alls slamming others boats without even knowing the boats they are talking about. And remember some of those know it alls, I consider friends of mine. And some of the offensive remarks came from friends of mine. I knew if I spoke up though, it would stop and I wanted to see how far they would go. Remember that Scott-Harbormaster had already brought this up in an earlier post that he had people tell him that they were worried to put their boats on the registry in fear that the guys would trash their pride and joys. I was also probably still a little peeved form a previous incident that a friend offered his boat for a bargain and the guys started tearing it apart here on the forum and the boat was eventually put on ebay by a friend of his, hint hint and it sold for 60% more than he was wanting for it on the registry. I thought that would teach some of them to realize that one mans trash is another mans dream but alas, they only thought the purchaser was an idiot for buying it.

Finally a bit about marketing and please anyone that cares about this registry to help sell their boat let is get this thing righted. I have never been upset that none of my boats sold from the registry, I knew where they were going to sell. Anyone that thought that a majority or even any serious number at all of the 6000 people that clicked on this red boat were going to come on the donzi registry to get info on it is floating around in la la land. I would hope they would not come to the registry and see any rude or uncomplimentary coments about their dream boat. We are in a very depressed economy yet 6000 people click on to see a nice looking donzi. Also their were 8 people that bid more than 10k on this boat. And the most remarkable thing of all is that of the aprox 30 questions, not one had to do with condition or concerns. The reason, I feel that was, is because I feel I went thru all that in the description. Now here is my major point of this paragraph, How many of our members that have been trying to sell their 20 & 22 foot donzis wish that someone would come along with 10k to 14k to buy it? Well there are still 7 out there that wanted this boat and they don't have one yet. I am going to try my dangest to accomidate them on that problem. I guarantee!!!

Howard I do apoligize for putting you in that position but I asked you to not say anything before we decided it was going on ebay. I should not have asked that of you if it was against your beliefs, and for that I am sorry.

Now who's got a 20 or 22 classic that would like to get from 10k to 14k? Let me know and I will try and let some of the other bidders know that there are some more of the oldies but goodies out here. And oh yea since they are members boats, we will not have to worry about people being unkind about them. YEAAAAAAAAAA!!!

TOM

Donzi Racer
07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Tom,

Cheers-

Ben, thanks for the encouragement. There is nothing like when a new to donzi fanatic fires up a small block classic for the first time and idles out for a their first experience of the Donzi Mytique. I have loved it for so long and I get a hec of a kick out of bringing as many new entusiast to the wonders of Donzi. I used to take early daybreak cruises when I worked a regular kind of job and it was head clearing moment where you feel closer to the man upstairs and your loved ones that have gone before you. And it does not seem to matter if you are broke or rich, overdue bills and people screaming at you for no reason, you are in a special place. I know you have been there with your X-18 cause we have talked about it. I can't thank you enough for your kind thoughts. That is what makes it all worth while. Increasing the value of classic Donzi's, 1 at a time. ha ha The racer in all of us, Tom

Donzi Racer
07-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Ben, glad you are happy with the deal you made, and believe me, I also loved your boat. Buiz and I discussed buyng it MANY times when it was for sale. I am sure Tom has many sucess stories out there, certailny more than not, but it still doesnt change the point..

DV, I assume I am one of the alleged two? If so, your count is way off..

I don't mean to speak for li'l Nephew but I believe he meant 2 on this Thread! Damn Jim, that leaves you odd man out! Tom

Donzi Racer
07-08-2009, 11:26 PM

Lou, call me at 256-777-0844, Tom

BUIZILLA
07-09-2009, 06:17 AM
I don't mean to speak for li'l Nephew but I believe he meant 2 on this Thread! Damn Jim, that leaves you odd man out! Tom I am about to explode ..... :mad:

Tidbart
07-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Wow. This was an interesting thread.:bonk:

Now, back to more important stuff.... Who is going to join us on the Port Canaveral-Sebastian run in a couple of weeks???:boat::kingme:

B

PS. Poodle, been trying to reach you for some time now. No nextel anymore= no cell number. Know your busy, when you get a minute 321-436-5704.

Donzi Racer
07-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Reread... I don't think he meant "you" specifically :wink: But I'd give you $10k right now, no questions asked :wink: Haha, and an extra $500 for Bill's El Pescador. :yes:

See there Jim, We already got you a $10,000 starting bid and I will up that to $15,000, geez, we are half way there and only 2 bids, and not even offered for sale yet. Now I don't know about you boys but that sounds pretty promising to this ole country boy!!!!! Tom

Donzi Racer
07-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I am about to explode ..... :mad:

Gee, I hope you are not about to explode because of something I said, cause Odd man out, means you are NOT one of the 2. :kingme: Tom

chappy
07-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Let it go Tom.

Really.

Let it go.

BUIZILLA
07-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Gee, I hope you are not about to explode because of something I said, cause Odd man out, means you are NOT one of the 2. :kingme: Tom actually it IS about something(s) you said/posted elsewhere above, and not this specific statement line above, but i'll wait until we see each other to air this out.... :wink: i'm not going to do it here :boat:

Donziweasel
07-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Let it go Tom.

Really.

Let it go.

Although I have no dog in this fight, I think this thread should be closed. Boat is sold, Tom is sorry for how he handled the posting, everyone has taken a piece of his ass, and it is time to move on.........

Nothing good will come out of letting this run any further.

The Lab Weasel

Donzi Racer
07-09-2009, 03:41 PM
actually it IS about something(s) you said/posted elsewhere above, and not this specific statement line above, but i'll wait until we see each other to air this out.... :wink: i'm not going to do it here :boat:

Thanks Jim, I think that would be great to get it resolved. Will be at the event coming up if that is a good time. Tom

VetteLT193
07-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks Jim, I think that would be great to get it resolved. Will be at the event coming up if that is a good time. Tom

Canaveral to Sebastian? did you get a room yet?

Donzi Racer
07-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Final post, I bout blinded myself reading over all the post again to see where the question that Scott had asked me was? I could not find it until I realized he had highlighted it and enlarged it so even a good ole country boy could see it! Thanks for that. I did not want to leave anything unanswerred so for complete disclosure here goes,

POODLE WROTE;
(You now say you brokered it, so I guess the question “who’s name was on the title @ the beginning of the auction: Yours, the mystery seller, or was it still on open title from the original owner?” is appropriate.)

Answer from Tom;
2 quick things, I hate when people put words in my mouth & I have not ever said I brokered the boat or any boat! I have offered to do that for some people since, after this little episode, but I look for, go check out, pick up & deliver, have restorations done and I believe continue the enjoyment of Donzi boats to the best of my ability. I don't usually FLIP boats either since I usually take my time from 6 months to 10 years enjoying them & restoring them before I sell them. Recently I have been looking for special boats for special people and I
had an oportunity to buy this boat for a friend & client with his money. I was told about the boat before I saw it on the registry and went up and brought it home. Subsequently the owner decided to quickly liquidate the boat because I had found him a much more expensive and sought after boat which I personally can only compare to MIghty Mouse which I have always thought to be one of the finest examples of boating beauty & workmanship in the world. The one I got for him was as good lets say as Mighty Mouse in my opinion. He wanted to know how was the best way to get rid of the 22 he had just bought & did not need? I suggested that the quickest way was to let ME list it on ebay & to be fair to all concerned start it for a single dollar and let it go no matter what the price, it sold for. Another experiment on my part because that is the very best way to see what a boat is truly worth. Start it at a dollar and no reserve, see where it ends up? what could be simpler? That is what I did. The boat was picked up this morning by the new owner from south south Texas/Mexico and it is already back in Texas I do believe as I am writing this. They seem to be very happy! The total amount of the sale not even minus the close to $200 ebay fees are deposited into the customers bank account. DONE!
Now for Poodle's question, who's name is on the title? They evidently do not use titles in Delaware, they use registration cards. It has the old owners name on it. Being that I like to be prepared, I had 3 Bills of Sales made out. One with my name on it in case I was pulled over which has happened before, I seem to be a magnet, 1 with the customers name on it for him to register when it got home, and 1 open as Poodle puts it, & please don't think that is unusual since it was headed to alabama & not Florida where it is illegal to hold open titles for any vehicle that would normally be registerred. I hope this answers you final questions Scott, and I will say this has been a hoot! Tom

PS now how do I broker or flip a boat? I got to remember that, cause I think there is some MONEY in that! Tell em Jasper says hey!

Donzi Racer
07-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Canaveral to Sebastian? did you get a room yet?

I can't talk now, I told everyone that last post was my last! ha ha But I will be doing that room reservation soon. Is it too late? Hep me hep me!

Tom

VetteLT193
07-09-2009, 08:56 PM
I can't talk now, I told everyone that last post was my last! ha ha But I will be doing that room reservation soon. Is it too late? Hep me hep me!

Tom

I'll give you a ringy dingy tomorrow. Gotta talk that run + a Minx sale.

Donzi Racer
07-09-2009, 09:25 PM
I'll give you a ringy dingy tomorrow. Gotta talk that run + a Minx sale.

Let me sneak back on here for a thanks and look forward to it. Talk tomorrow. Shhh, Jasper

Shhhhh don't tell nobody but my new incognito name is Jasper Talledega! Maybe they won't know it's me!