PDA

View Full Version : 1969 16 Ski Sporter

classicform
06-29-2009, 06:13 AM
Hello all,

New here to the forum, I am looking at a 1969 Donzi 16 that I would like opinions on.

It seems that the price range for these is 6500-10000 (having read around here) but would like to know what you all think. I am told it is an all original fresh water boat.

It is all red (hull and deck) with a blue stripe and blue interior. Holman Moody 289 with H/M outdrive and H/M plate on the gauges.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this color configuration before, I've searched and searched and can't find a reference either here or anywhere else online.

I'll try to post a pic...

Well, tried to post pic but am photobucket is blocked here at work. I can add a pic tonight when I am in the home office.

This would be my first Donzi after being away from boats for 10 years or so. Previous boat was a 1987 19ft. Sea Ray Pachanga.

Thanks for any advice...

olredalert
06-29-2009, 07:49 AM
-------The blue stripe and interior in combination with a red hull would be somewhat unusual. However,,,DONZI would build you any color or color combo boat you could dream up. I would expect this 16, if original, was an ordered boat by an end user, not a boat ordered on spec by some dealer. Check to see if the hull color and the deck stripe are original gell-coat. That would pretty much end the discussion.........Bill S

mattyboy
06-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Bill
pretty much summed it up, some words of caution a 69 would have a steel gas tank and it is at the end of it's life, look to see if the tank has been worked on or replaced that can also tell you how original it is. again not sure in mich if you are e-10 or not but if you are the e-10 is going to have a field day on 40 year old rubber.

if it is original it should have a h/m serial number on the bell housing I would be surprised if it is a 289 and not a 302 but the serial number will tell you that

classicform
06-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys...I think I'll go have a look at it this week. I've just been exchanging emails so far.

He did mention that the tilt doesn't work, not sure what the extent is but worse case what am I looking at?

Any added value due to the custom order? Fair price for this boat would be (assuming it is all original and needs the usual work)?

Just Say N20
06-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Welcome.

Where in Michigan? You can PM me if you like. I'm in Grand Rapids, and have a 1967 16 Ski-Sporter apart in my garage, if you would like to easily see what to look for. Here are a few pictures.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58186

If you are on the west side of the state, I would be happy to help you look over the boat. I believe I remember seeing the ad for a boat with this color combination some time ago.

Just Say N20
06-29-2009, 08:36 AM
He did mention that the tilt doesn't work, not sure what the extent is but worse case what am I looking at?

This vintage Volvo outdrive didn't have trim, only tilt. Trim would allow the outdrive to change angles while underway. Tilt is used for raising the outdrive to a trailering position. It is not for use when underway. Even the slightest throttle will force the outdrive to its lowest position.

DonziBuoy
06-29-2009, 11:08 AM
I just bought a 16 ski sporter with the tilt taken out. A power steering system has been put in, however, I think there may be enough space to fit the tilt motor. I was wondering if anyone has the tilt drive and has dimensions on it? Also, does anyone have a tilt drive they want to sell. And I am curious if anyone has upgraded their early boat with a volvo to a merc outdrive?

Thanks,

classicform
06-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Pictures of boat in question...

olredalert
06-29-2009, 05:46 PM
------You could probably count on one hand the number of 16ft. DONZIs that still have the original drivers seat, and that is one in this red 16. The seats were a weak design and the backs tended to fold backward when you leaned back too hard. It is very cool that the seat is still in good condition. I assumed that the deck was white with a blue stripe, but I find this combo really neat. On the face of it this boat looks to be very original. I even see the original shift knob!!! Would love to see pics of the motor. Do you know how many hours on the boat or motor???.........Bill S

classicform
06-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Not sure of the hours...looking at a close up of the hour meter doesn't focus well enough.

Here are more pics.

mattyboy
06-29-2009, 09:45 PM
in the second motor pic you can see the holman moody serial number tag get the numbers off it that will give you a time frame as will the numbers off the top of the drive

superhatz
06-30-2009, 02:49 AM
You should buy that boat....it's very original and AWESOME!!!!!!

:)

Rob M
06-30-2009, 03:47 AM
Nice boat - all original looking hardware - looks like a survivor.
If you want to check the original colour you may be able to do so wherever there are chunks or gouges out of the gel coat. The stern photo looks like there is a good spot to do so where the stripe meets the red deck colour.
It looks like there was bottom paint on this boat at one point - but may just be an old waterline. Also, the deck looks like it has 'orange peel' or at least pitted or crazed gel coat and in one photo the engine hatch looks like there is a spot of delamination. All issues to be expected in a 40-year old boat.
I agree with Superhatz...it is cool, buy it if the price is right...but get a certified marine inspection to be on the safeside. Good luck.

classicform
06-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Thank you all for the help here.

I was told that there were 100s or 1000s of gel coat cracks, you have a keen eye Rob.
I do think that what you are seeing as far as waterline/bottom paint is just a reflection of the asphalt. I think these boats sit a little deeper in the water for a water line and trailer boats don't get painted much around here in fresh water land. edit 070509...waterline it is.
I'm thinking of taking a look at it this week...I'll take more pics and share if you guys are interested.

jl1962
06-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Looks awesome! Cool old Ski Sporter. Try to get a hull# when you see the boat. Whether or not the tank has been replaced will be a big factor in the price. Good luck.
JL

Bobby D
06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Very nice ski sporter with lots of original stuff, HM gauges, outdrive badge, and exhaust logs. The hour meter and stern light look to be the only things added or changed from the factory. IMO although it’s a unique color combination the interior does not appears to be original due to the snaps being installed backwards on the wrap around (snaps are outside and not underneath) however the single seat is original and shows that the boat was taken care of. They did not hold up very well and many were replaced after several years of use. As stated before it’s a 40 yeas old boat so look hard at day one parts that will need to be addressed and be prepared to turn a wrench and spend some cash on new parts.
Good luck.

mattyboy
06-30-2009, 01:43 PM
I would say judging by the way the tuck and roll pleats make the radius of the turn and the notch in the back seat for cover strut plus the general quality that is a replacement bilt rite interior and they send them with the snaps unistalled and the installer didn't know about the underneath part ;)

nice looking boat

DonziBuoy
07-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Very nice!

classicform
07-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Just got back from the inspection of this boat...took alot of pics if anyone wants to see anything in particular. Looks like the tank is original. can't tell if it has been painted or not, I felt a difference between the blue deck stripe and the ORANGE (I thought it was red but is very orange). I'll post a few pics and will post them all if you would like. Lots of deep cracks on the deck, and bubbles, some large. Let me know what you would like to see and I'll post em.

Hour meter reads 715

In case you can't read the tag on back of seat:
Hull No. C16-539
Outdrive no. 2504181A
Engine no. D9HM-3197-1-R/W

Tag in Engine compartment: (best I could tell)

D9HM-3 197-1-RW-I/0 A
CPM-235-4V C6HM MB1
CR 10.5:1 ???12Degrees

classicform
07-02-2009, 06:07 PM
More pics...

Rob M
07-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Wow - that looks like some serious osmotic blistering. It looks much deeper than merely a deteriorating paint job - just my 2 cents, but think very seriously about how big of a cosmetic/resto project you want to tackle.

Tony
07-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I agree with all of the above, very cool and looks all original.
The gel resto just drives the price down, and gives you an opportunity to paint it a color scheme of your own choosing!
Listen to Matty, the fuel tank is another pretty important restoration item.

:beer:

JimG
07-03-2009, 05:39 AM
That boat looks great! Don't let it get away!

mattyboy
07-03-2009, 07:56 AM
not a 289 it a 235hp 302 a common power plant for a 16 in 69 10.5 to 1 compression raw water cooled standard auto rotation 12 degree timing

mated to a 1.3 to 1 volvo penta aquamatic 250A propping that could be problematic that is a low ratio drive for a 235 hp motor

make sure the outdrive number on the foil tag matches the serial number on the top of the drive this looks like a numbers matching boat like my old 16 pretty cool

classicform
07-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the breakdown...Can you give me some more opinions on the boat? Does it look like it has been painted or re-gelled at some point? What about the glass damage, OK to run or will it just get worse? I'd really like to purchase this thing but don't want to get in too deep.

I only found the two tags, was there another that I missed somewhere? Does it look like the outdrive was changed at some point?

Talk to me about the propping issue.

classicform
07-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Looks like there may have been a windshield on the boat at one time as well...

mattyboy
07-03-2009, 08:56 AM
it looks like a paint job to me ;), hard to say the deck doesn't bother me i would be looking at the transom the bottom and the stringers, my 16 had a lot of spider cracks in the bottom but is still holding up. it is a 40 year old boat it will be in need of constant attention if you can do the basic stuff and monitor the condition of the boat, it will eventually need to be restored both mech and cosemetically

before i type a page on props on the top of the outdrive there is a metal tag it should match the foil tag

classicform
07-03-2009, 09:52 AM
The hull and transom looked good. I didn't see any stringer problems. Do you think the paint is in the original colors or does it look like it has been changed? If you look at one of the pics above it shows blue under the cracked orange, what do you make of that? The interior of the boat is for sure original and not painted judgeing by the battery compartment and floor storage.

I didn't get any numbers off of the outdrive itself and have no picture of the top, just the underside. I'll add a pic here of one side of the hull.

mattyboy
07-03-2009, 10:00 AM
sorry that didn't come out right, I meant it looked like it would need a paint job, judging from the chip in the foil tag with the same color behind it and paint cracks then peels ( i am not a real paint genious) right I mean the spider craks and the blister if it was paint would have peeled there no?

I would say it is gel if it is the original gel or not who knows, they did do special orders, there is a pink one out there somewhere, if the structural glass is ok and in that shape who cares if it is original gel or not the main thing would be the mech originality and the presence of all the hardware which it seems to be

classicform
07-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Well, this boat is now on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Donzi-Sweet-16-Holman-Moody-1969_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a10Q7c66Q3a2Q 7c39Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q 2em14QQhashZitem3a50a34c5fQQitemZ250460982367QQptZ PowerQ5fMotorboats

No, I didn't buy it and then throw it up for auction. In fact I was still hemming and hawing when I ran accross this auction. Kind of glad it's up...now I can bid what I think it's worth with no back and forth negotiating with the owner (If I decide to bid:)

Thanks for everyones help...very good group of guys here! I'll join the club one of these days.

mattyboy
07-10-2009, 09:16 AM
I was going to say the ad looked very well informed, alot of what was discussed here seems to be covered. an informed buyer is one thing but schooling a seller can cost ya ;)

yes it will find a fair market price on ebay.if you still like it bid what you think it is worth if it is meant to be it's meant to be

well good luck in the search.

:)

classicform
07-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Auction ended @ 6100usd Reserve not met. You guys pretty much nailed the value. Thanks again.

jl1962
07-16-2009, 07:50 AM
Boat would be a good buy for under 7K given known issues (fuel tank, bad gel) and unknown issues (misc mechanical). It would be a good restoration candidate for the right buyer. Expect to pay significantly more for a well sorted out boat. However to my eye - the black 18 on flea-Bay looks to be a better buy in a vintage Donzi.

My .02
:shades:

smbarcelow
07-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Now that you know what it's worth (based on the auction results and advice from members here), you might be able to get a deal on it with some cash in hand. I paid around six grand for mine a couple years ago (in the same part of the state) with fewer original parts. If you're looking for a vintage Donzi to eventually restore and use in the meantime, six grand seems like a great price.

Lenny
07-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for everyones help...very good group of guys here! I'll join the club one of these days.

...aaaahhhh.... I think you just did :)

Welcome aboard.

classicform
09-14-2009, 02:32 PM
I was just contacted by the seller of this boat. He still has it and is offering it to me for 4k.

I will not be purchasing it and wanted to pass it along to those that have the time to restore this boat.

From the seller:
"If you are still interested in the boat I will sell it to you for $4000.00 I am loosing alot but need to sell!"

His email address is: Jipping [kathyjipping@chartermi.net]

Phone: 616-403-0949

I have many pics if you would like them shoot me a pm with your email address.

fogducker III
09-14-2009, 02:52 PM
$4000 and you are not buying it....??

classicform
09-14-2009, 02:55 PM
No, after much thought the last go round I decided not to buy. I know I wouldn't be able to do the boat justice so I let it go. I figured it was gone by now but the email from him just came today.

I think it needs someone with the time and knowledge to do it up right.

CaribouLou
09-14-2009, 03:16 PM
****, this is too tempting.

NO, no no, I can't.

I already have one crappy boat, I dont need another.

Someone buy this thing.

Just Say N20
09-15-2009, 06:38 AM
****, this is too tempting.

NO, no no, I can't.

I already have one crappy boat, I dont need another.

Someone buy this thing.

Tell me about it!

And this one is only 40 miles away from me, not 700+!

And it is 20% cheaper than what we paid for our boats!

olredalert
09-15-2009, 08:07 AM
-------Having more than one (1) DONZI is not a crime. Join the rest of us who have a spare when one is apart. Twice the fun and twice the headaches!!! :bonk::bonk::bonk: .........Mr.Bill

Magicallbill
09-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Don't forget twice the cost..

I speak from experience.

Two more observations..The decal shown is the dolphin/lion logo that I thought was implemented in the early 70's replacing the British flag. Seems like the decals were replaced at some point.
Also, isn't the dash instrument cluster the one on an 18 2+3? The dash on both our Ski Sporters are the "enlongated" ones for lack of a better term.

Mud
06-15-2015, 01:02 PM
To close the loop on this old thread, here she is today...

OFFSHORE GINGER
06-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the forum . Just curious is the boat still in Mich yet , and if you do not mind whre .

Mud
06-15-2015, 02:58 PM
Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the forum . Just curious is the boat still in Mich yet , and if you do not mind whre .

Thanks! I have had the boat for a few years now, but have not had the time to devote to it until recently. The boat is in Lake George, NY.

jl1962
06-15-2015, 03:14 PM
The boat is in Lake George, NY.

With a nice looking trailer under it too.

Making it to the Dust-Off next weekend?

Mud
06-15-2015, 03:43 PM
With a nice looking trailer under it too.

Making it to the Dust-Off next weekend?

The trailer - from Bill at Performance, of course - was worth the wait.
I would love to make the Dust-Off but have both missed the sign-up deadline and (crucially) not gotten sign-off from the missus.

jl1962
06-15-2015, 03:54 PM
The former might not be an issue......

With respect to the latter - it's Father's Day!
Hope you can swing it.

Glad the boat found a good home.