PDA

View Full Version : Do i qualify?

mrfixxall
06-28-2009, 10:32 PM
their starting to crack down on noise on the lakes i boat on..My boat being a 1977falls in their 30+year old boat classification.doesnt say anything about boats being that old being modifyed tho!

http://63.135.96.26/ordinances/pdf/Chapter8.pdf page 2 line 5,c

mattyboy
06-28-2009, 10:44 PM
in NY the cut off for antique vessels is 1964, i would be researching the heritage watercraft thingy big time that is the first time I have seen a time frame like 30 years old they will soon find out that time passes pretty quick sort of a line in the sand thingy not a clear line as each year more boats are exempted??

each state has the same basic rules each has it own loop holes

Just Say N20
06-28-2009, 10:49 PM
I guess if they want to ticket you, they are going to find a way.

That being said, the exemption is for watercraft older than 30 years. Period. It does not specify that the 30+ year old craft be in original-as-manufactured condition. It also does not make any mention, or prohibition regarding modifications.

I would say that according to the letter of the law, your 30+ year old boat is exempt. However, in the spirit of the law, if you made modifications that made the boat substantially louder than it originally was (how are they going to prove that), you would probably get a ticket.

I would show them the registration, and say it is over 30 years old, and therefore exempt. It doesn't say you have to open the hatch for them to verify anything.

Good luck.