PDA

View Full Version : Volvo drives

HIGH LIFE
06-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Will a 280 T fit in the same bolt holes as a 270 w/o trim ? Any other pictituclars to make it fit ? Thanks in advance. HIGH LIFE

Kirbyvv
06-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Yes. You will have to drill a couple more holes for 2 extra bolts and hydraulic lines.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Will a 280 T fit in the same bolt holes as a 270 w/o trim ? Any other pictituclars to make it fit ? Thanks in advance. HIGH LIFE

Yes. You will have to drill a couple more holes for 2 extra bolts and hydraulic lines.

Michael,
Kirby is correct. I did just that coversion on my 1971 18' Donzi. Bill

Kirbyvv
06-29-2009, 11:40 AM
i did a 280 to a 280t and it's a relatively easy swap. Trim makes a huge difference. Where in MA are you?

onkel egon
06-29-2009, 03:34 PM
If you want to install the transum plate with the "trim ears", its called 280PT
and this will fit mainly.
If you have the 280T or 270T with the trim in the bottom and tilt at the top,
You have to drill some new holes, cut a little bigger hole and you have to mount it on an about 2 cm extension plate.
I wanted to just swap it this spring, but when I found out about the differences of the transum plates, I decidet to do it in autum.

Tony
06-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Strong first post onkel egon, and welcome to Donzi.net!
I've got that same chart in poster form...pretty cool.

:beer:

penbroke
06-29-2009, 08:45 PM
That chart is a keeper for sure. Thanks!

Oh, and welcome to the madness. :cool!:

Frank

mphatc
06-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Onkel Egon
for those who don't know . . :wink:
this translates into "Uncle Egon" . . and Egon is located in Germany . .
http://www.mapsofworld.com/germany/federal-states/niedersachsen/niedersachsen-federal-state-map.html
Egon,
Wo benutzen zie ihren Donzi?
Habe ich das richtig geschrieben?
Veile Grusse von NH in der USA
Mario L.
1969 Donzi Corsican
1968 Magnum 27

HIGH LIFE
06-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Kirbyvv, I'm in Hingham,Ma. south of Boston on the coast. I have a complete unit that I'm selling. "HIGH LIFE"

onkel egon
06-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi everybody,
I think its time to introduce myself:
My name is Frank and I live near Hannover/Germany, but in the wintertime I move to Austria, where I work in a skishop.
My boat is an old Glaston V184 with VP 280 and Ford 302.
Im in the Donzi forum, because I like Donzis, but unfortunately I cant afford it in the moment.
And I like to work on the boat, make the old stuff work and improve it- to buy new stuff is not my style, I want to know how it looks inside too!
The Donzi forum is the best forum to get informations about old volvo drives and I think I learned a lot here.
In the moment I have to break in my rebuild engine. Next step will be to install the 270T transum plate and I hope by then I found a solution to repair the 270E lower unit which I also have with some bad gears waiting on the side.
In the moment the boat is in the Weser River- the best around here, but unfortunately with 35km/h speed limit.
Durig holiday time I like to cruise around the island Rab/Croatia, where the clear blue sea and all the small islands are perfect for boating.
In America I know a little the area of Vancouver, where my cuisins live and I was lucky to go with friends to Lake Powell- Bullfrog Bay, its just perfect there and I have been there before I even could dream about my own boat.
We stayed there on Bills Desert Island- the doubledecker houseboat at Bullfrog.
Thanks again to Bill and Rik for the perfect time there!!

Ok that was a little about me, I hope to learn more about boats here!

Frank

DonziBuoy
06-30-2009, 09:21 PM
I hope I spelled that right. I have just purchased a 16 ski sporter from someone on this board a few weeks back, and am now dealing with the volvo penta 270 without tilt. This means I have to hang it like I see so many owners do, when they travel - I have always had mercs and liked their convenience including easy to get parts. I am stunned at the prices for these old volvo parts.

Is there anyone on this board that deals in volvo? I would like to put a trim as well as get some propellers to make my boat go.

Thanks,

Jim

mattyboy
07-01-2009, 07:32 AM
the trim motors can be found on ebay, the trim motor will not hold the drive up when trailering they made a trailer bracket.
www.allislandmarine.com and www.dougrussell.com have volvo parts but most can be found on ebay.

props, I have a few for sale check the parts for sale section where in NY are you?

DonziBuoy
07-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Hey Matty,

Thanks for the information. I am located in Port Washington, NY. Will your props fit the 270? Also, I noticed on these boards how everyone who has an early Volvo, seems to stay with it. Can these old drives be upgraded to a newer one without refitting?
Jim

Kirbyvv
07-01-2009, 02:17 PM
All the newer drives use a smaller hole in the transom, so in order to switch to a newer merc or volvo drive you would need to replace the transom and cut a new smaller hole. The volvo drives are bullet proof and parts are still readily available. You've got a beautirful boat there, I'd stay with teh volvo and figure out how to work the power steering around a tilt mechanism.

DonziBuoy
07-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Kirby, do you know the boat? It came from upstate originally honey/tangerine, and I admit, it is gorgeous :yes:

would love to get some info from the previous owners.

Jim

Kirbyvv
07-02-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't know the boat, just saw all the photo's and description when it was for sale.