PDA

View Full Version : Better than C.L.R.

McGary911
06-27-2009, 10:26 AM
I have a bottle of C.L.R., and don't feel the stuff works all that well. Or at all.

I have some rust spots on my concrete patio around my pool. The concrete is coated, so it's not porous....or not as porous as raw 'crete would be. Some cheap hardware on some expensive chairs got rusty, and the runoff stained my concrete. Tried CLR diluted, straight, let it sit, hosed it high pressure style. It barely faded it. Will muriatic acid work? I have a bottle of that.

CLR also failed on the pool. on the blue tile by my waterfall, there's slight milky haze, probably from mineral build up. Tried straight CLR on that too. No difference. I'd like them to shine again like when they're wet.

Anyone have a better product, or an idea for me? Appreciate any guidance.

gcarter
06-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Try "Iron Out"....it's phosphoric acid rather than the acid used in CLR.
It comes in powder form in a rectangular white plastic bottle in most any hardware store in the plumbing dept. I know HD and Lowes carry it.
We treat sprinkler systems for iron at times and have to do a bit of cleanup.
Works well on iron stains. There're laundry instructions on the label, but primarily for whites.

I wouldn't use muriatic acid, it'll probably work a little faster than what your prepared for.

tmdog
06-28-2009, 12:55 PM
CLR also failed on the pool. on the blue tile by my waterfall, there's slight milky haze, probably from mineral build up. Tried straight CLR on that too. No difference. I'd like them to shine again like when they're wet.

Anyone have a better product, or an idea for me? Appreciate any guidance.

For the tile use green cloth. Removes almost all residue on tile and safe.

McGary911
06-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks George. Bought some Iron Out today in the hardware store. I'll try it on the rust later today.

TMDOG. NEver heard of green cloth.

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.gleencloth.com/

If not, you have a link so I know what to look for? Appreciate the advice for sure.

tmdog
06-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks George. Bought some Iron Out today in the hardware store. I'll try it on the rust later today.

TMDOG. NEver heard of green cloth.

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.gleencloth.com/

If not, you have a link so I know what to look for? Appreciate the advice for sure.

Green cloth is a scouring pad. Sold at all hardware and food stores. Pad comes in different colors, white, black, green and maybe some others. Colors denote how abrasive each are. For pool tile use green.

harbormaster
06-29-2009, 12:36 PM
green cloth = scotchbrite?

McGary911
06-29-2009, 05:05 PM
I have scothbrite pads, if that's it.

BTW, George, the Iron Out worked. I had to leave it on there for about an hour, but it did the trick. Thanks for the advice.

gcarter
06-29-2009, 07:55 PM
BTW, George, the Iron Out worked. I had to leave it on there for about an hour, but it did the trick. Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome.