PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Prop Question

3rdDonzi
06-26-2009, 05:13 PM
I know another prop thread is almost as repetitve as another about what oil to run but I swear I used the search function before I posted.
Has anyone done any in depth sampling of props for a box stock 18' Classic with a 350 Mag./ Alpha? If so could you share your findings.
Thanks,
CC

mrfixxall
06-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I know another prop thread is almost as repetitve as another about what oil to run but I swear I used the search function before I posted.
Has anyone done any in depth sampling of props for a box stock 18' Classic with a 350 Mag./ Alpha? If so could you share your findings.
Thanks,
CC

Turbo 1 or txp:yes:

BigGrizzly
06-26-2009, 07:25 PM
There you go with an occasional Vector in the process.

smokediver
06-26-2009, 07:45 PM
mirage plus ...

BigGrizzly
06-28-2009, 06:24 AM
If you like bow lift and porpoising go with with the Mirage Plus. At this point on this board the Turbo1 and TXPs out numbet the M+ 10 to 1

tamburello
06-28-2009, 09:13 PM
I have the same setup as you and the TXP runs great on mine.

DickB
07-06-2009, 11:43 PM
I have not done extensive sampling but have done a little. I have a '99 350 MAG Alpha 1.62. I've been looking for a bit more speed. I'm not a prop expert, but the prop choice I believe depends upon what you want to improve.

I started with the stock 23P Mirage Plus. Best ever speed was 64.8, but more typical is 63, running at 5000 RPM. Last year a friend loaned me an identical prop that had been labbed, and I did back-to-back runs. The labbed prop picked up about a mile and a half per hour, but the RPMs appeared to have climbed a bit (using the stock Gaffrig II tachometer).

Last week I picked up a labbed 25P Mirage Plus. I did not run back-to-back, just put it on and drove it. I immediately hit 64.4 in light chop with nearly full tank of gas. Based on experience, I would have expected just over 63 with the stock prop in the same conditions. RPMs are now closer to 4900, which makes me feel more comfortable.

I would like to try a Turbo some time. It would help if others could post the particulars on RPM, drive gear ratio, and prop size/pitch along with prop recommendations.

BigGrizzly
07-07-2009, 12:56 AM
DickB, actually the light chop should be an advantage in the speed area. your take "prop choice I believe depends upon what you want to improve." is the correct way to go about this. Going fast is only a small area and one that most of us do not remain at all the time. I prefer handling and allaround performance them just top speed. Passingers are important too.