PDA

View Full Version : USCG documentation

VetteLT193
06-26-2009, 02:33 PM
If I document my boat with the Coast Guard, do I have to display FL numbers on it still? I'm trying to find the laws but even I'm having a hard time figuring it all out.

Last Real Texan
06-26-2009, 03:31 PM
If I document my boat with the Coast Guard, do I have to display FL numbers on it still? I'm trying to find the laws but even I'm having a hard time figuring it all out.
PITA....did I say PITA....just register it normally, there is no benifit for a person in your situation, you have the ability to make a set of nice #'s...

by the way I need you to make a sticker for me, call me i need it printed on chrome or silver....going to turn the 500 EFI into a 850 Sci and want it to look like a factory sticker....make sense?

Tex

mrfixxall
06-26-2009, 03:32 PM

if you go that route to save on the taxs my suggestion would be DONT DO IT!

if they need your boat they will take it and their not responsible for what ever dammage that happens to it if and when you get it back..one of my cust had his boat set up that way and when he went to sell it the new buyer is responsible for the taxs if they deside to take 100% ownership of the vessel plus the boat was vary hard to sell because there were no papers on the boat..i took him 2yrs to sell it,he ended up letting it go for $72.000 and this boat had it all,twin procharged hp 500s efi with imco hyd steering and imco extreme drives,i had the boat up to 94 mph with out any effort with throttle to spare(ran out of realestate)
p.s. he didnt need the numbers on the outside ,they were on the inside of the boat under the engine hatch
just my o2

penbroke
06-26-2009, 03:40 PM
My understanding is that you do not have to register a USCG documented vessel in any state. Some states seem to have differing opinions though.

The lack of registration numbers on the hull will likely invite a few extra safety checks...

Frank

zelatore
06-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Coast Guard Documentation supersedes any state registration.

The plus side is that you only do it once; you don't have to keep re-buying a registration sticker every year.

The down side is it's much more complicated. Like doing your taxes, it's usually better to just have it done for you. We document nearly all the boats we sell, and we've never done the paperwork in-house. Figure a few hundred bucks to have a documentation company take care of the paperwork for you.

Any documented boat has to display it's name and hailing port on the transom, and your official number must be affixed to a structural part of the boat (typically a stringer or bulkhead, but they're pretty lenient on this).

While Mr. Fix's worries about the government seizing the vessel are actually true, short of a full-scale invasion of the US it's unlikely.

Also, a documented boat has a bit more legal protection from 'incidents' should you cruise internationlly. Mexico and south america for example.

Not a problem for you (I assume), but you must be a US citizen to document a vessel. Many lenders require documentation for larger loans (over $100K) and I've actually lost sales over this detail when the buyer was approved for the loan but couldn't document the boat.

There is a minimum size that can be documented. It's somewhere around 25' depending on the boat. Documentation was created for commercial vessels, and is really more about their cargo capacity than anything. That's why the measurements and tonnage they use are so odd for the recreational boating market.

Documentation does not get you out of any state sales or property taxes, but it might mean it takes the state a little longer to find you to send the bill. Don't worry, they'll figure it out eventually and then they'll bill you for the interest and penalties as well.

Myself, I've documented my Carver and state registered my Donzi.

handfulz28
06-26-2009, 04:14 PM
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/FFFVO.pdf

The language isn't exactly crystal clear, but there are exemptions from registration and titling for "federally numbered" vessels not operating continuously for more than 90 days.

I'd want a title, but I wonder if they'll issue one without an FL number?

jimishooch
06-29-2009, 09:09 AM
had to register my USCG documented 33' scarab in texas and display yearly decal.

Ghost
06-29-2009, 09:25 AM
The current Boat US magazine has a piece about exactly this in it, for those who get it and don't always look too closely (like me). It's the issue with the black and white photo of all the waterskiiers on the cover. I think it concurs with a lot of what is in the thread, but might add a tidbit or two. -Mike

VetteLT193
06-29-2009, 12:27 PM
PITA....did I say PITA....just register it normally, there is no benifit for a person in your situation, you have the ability to make a set of nice #'s...

by the way I need you to make a sticker for me, call me i need it printed on chrome or silver....going to turn the 500 EFI into a 850 Sci and want it to look like a factory sticker....make sense?

Tex

crap, I forgot to call you. I'll give you a ring soon

VetteLT193
06-29-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm not doing it to save on taxes, I already paid the tax. I know FL is super strict on boats in the state and I'm not trying to screw with getting caught not paying.

Bottom line is I can document the boat for $12 through USAA. I figure for 12 bucks, why not?

BUIZILLA
06-29-2009, 01:13 PM
no reason not to

f_inscreenname
06-29-2009, 02:44 PM
I would love to do it being my new (old) boat never had numbers on it but being pulled up for a safety check every 5 minutes don't sound like fun.

show-n-go h2o
06-29-2009, 02:47 PM
I documented mine in 2004 and have never had an issue. Dad's 38 is also documented and we were just stopped yesterday on the river (the rear passager was standing up) and the Wp didn't even ask about it. For $12 i would do it in a second.

Last Tango
06-30-2009, 08:20 AM
I documented my 2000 Z3250 Daytona when I bought it back then. I live in Florida. Seemed like the right thing to do since I was planning on going to the Bahamas from time to time.
Documenting was an expensive hassle. It would not bother with it again unless it was required by the bank financing the boat. You save nothing tax-wise. I affords you no other real protections. Boats not operated offshore or in coastal waters do not benefit from the documentation.

I was never boarded for "safety" inspections because Florida has an excellent and free annual safety inspection sticker from any US Coast Guard Auxillary unit or similar service in your area. I do it regularly even with my small Donzi's. Why would you not keep the proper and current safety devices on your boat?

I still had to register the boat in Florida and get a new sticker every year.

A lot of fooling around just to avoid having numbers on the hull. Of course you have to have the name and registered home port on the stern, so "stickers" are still an issue.

gcarter
06-30-2009, 09:29 AM
There's an article in the June, 2009 issue of Southern Boating and it states Texas is raising all their fees and that they have been charging registration fees to USCG documented vessels for the last several years.

I wonder how many other states do this also?

VetteLT193
06-30-2009, 09:36 AM
There's an article in the June, 2009 issue of Southern Boating and it states Texas is raising all their fees and that they have been charging registration fees to USCG documented vessels for the last several years.

I think Florida has been like that forever. Even with the big boats, we always had a state decal on the side window, just no FL numbers to go with it.

The way the Coast Guard Aux. site reads, every boat in FL, documented or not, needs to have FL numbers now.

Went out last weekend, no sticker or numbers, cops pulled over other people. I guess they didn't want to deal with it.

zelatore
06-30-2009, 09:42 AM

This is new to me. I've only dealt with CA, OR, WA, and Mexico as far as documentation, and none of them required a state registration for a documented vessel. It's always been an either-or. But I'm not surprised. Heck, if CA finds out they can nail all those 'rich yachties' for an extra state registration fee, they'll jump all over it.

Sort of seems wrong to tax and register a boat twice though doesn't it. You know, like paying both sales tax and property tax on it? Oh wait, they already do that...
(and the sales tax just went up to 9.75%...)

VetteLT193
06-30-2009, 09:47 AM
This is new to me. I've only dealt with CA, OR, WA, and Mexico as far as documentation, and none of them required a state registration for a documented vessel. It's always been an either-or. But I'm not surprised. Heck, if CA finds out they can nail all those 'rich yachties' for an extra state registration fee, they'll jump all over it.
Sort of seems wrong to tax and register a boat twice though doesn't it. You know, like paying both sales tax and property tax on it? Oh wait, they already do that...
(and the sales tax just went up to 9.75%...)

I don't think there are recurring fees with USCG documentation. Meaning, you get it once and annually after that they don't charge you. The State has to get their money every year though.

fegettes
06-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I am from Texas and I have seen many boats with a Delaware origin on the back of their boat. When I inquired about the Delaware origin, I was told that they registered their boat in Delaware to avoid having to pay the Texas fees.

handfulz28
06-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Vette, did you read the PDF I posted?

Document the boat then take the paperwork to DMV and have a title issued with USCG numbers instead of FL number.

Besides, you're right there in the heart of the state gov, you can take it right to the top.
:kingme:

VetteLT193
06-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Vette, did you read the PDF I posted?

Document the boat then take the paperwork to DMV and have a title issued with USCG numbers instead of FL number.

Besides, you're right there in the heart of the state gov, you can take it right to the top.
:kingme:

Yes, I read it. It seemed clear until I read other sources. should have stopped with that doc. :nilly: