PDA

View Full Version : New Boat!

zelatore
06-25-2009, 07:31 PM
I finally got fed up with this whole procharger thing and just bought a new boat.

This is one serious machine. Not for beginners. You do not want to mess with me over the 4th, 'cause that's a full 20 hangin' off the back baby!

Actually, given the HUGE weight of both the dink and the 4-stroke motor, I'm not sure what it will do. Just got the motor today, so time to take it out and put some break-in time on it. :yes:

The Hedgehog
06-25-2009, 07:40 PM
I finally got fed up with this whole procharger thing and just bought a new boat.
This is one serious machine. Not for beginners. You do not want to mess with me over the 4th, 'cause that's a full 20 hangin' off the back baby!
Actually, given the HUGE weight of both the dink and the 4-stroke motor, I'm not sure what it will do. Just got the motor today, so time to take it out and put some break-in time on it. :yes:

Bring it.

I will take you with the Watertender and some oars any day!

gcarter
06-25-2009, 07:42 PM
So does it fit the foredeck of the Carver, or does it need some davits??????:wink:

yeller
06-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Excellent! And you said if I came by you didn't have anything to run with me. What a sandbagger.......

yeller
06-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Hey Don, I was at the GM dealer picking up some oil and saw this for your 22. Only 427 made and only 30G's. Should I bring it down for you? You might even be able to wedge it into the dink with an arneson. :pimp: :yes:

I was talking to the parts guy and at the other local GM dealer, someone backed a truck through the window, loaded the motor up and took off. Only problem was, they never tied it down or closed the tailgate. Morning crew found the motor sitting in the middle of the parking lot. :bonk:

Donziweasel
06-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Shheeeshhh.....now we are going to have to have a Poker Run for the dinghy's. Bill and Don.........:):bonk:

wannabe
06-25-2009, 09:27 PM
You have excellent taste. A very high quality inflatable. My kids have a blast with our old achilles and the 9.9 two stroke Yami.

f_inscreenname
06-25-2009, 09:48 PM
You already beat a couple boats in my yard. The red one my take ya on a good day. :wink:

Lenny
06-25-2009, 10:10 PM
I love the little "gunkholers" and the fun to be had in 'em. That is where it started for me, and that is where it will probably end :yes:

Everytime i sit in one, with a small outboard I instantly go back to being 6... pretty cool...

zelatore
06-25-2009, 11:04 PM
So does it fit the foredeck of the Carver, or does it need some davits??????:wink:

Can't put anything on the foredeck of the Carver if I want to see! Part of the deal for the boat included a St. Croix davit system that I'll mount on the swim step. Probably not until this winter though, as I think I'll add some extra supports for the weight. The last dink was a little smaller, single hull aluminum, and had a 15 hp 2-stroke. I carried that on a set of snap davits. This boat is a double-hulled 'glass setup + a 20 hp 4-stroke and a heavier davit system. I'll be close to 400 lbs all up. :eek:

Hey Don, I was at the GM dealer picking up some oil and saw this for your 22. Only 427 made and only 30G's. Should I bring it down for you? You might even be able to wedge it into the dink with an arneson. :pimp: :yes:
I was talking to the parts guy and at the other local GM dealer, someone backed a truck through the window, loaded the motor up and took off. Only problem was, they never tied it down or closed the tailgate. Morning crew found the motor sitting in the middle of the parking lot. :bonk:

You know, I sent a couple guys out last week to pick one of those up for me but they never delivered it...If you could just drop it by on your way through, that sure would be handy. :wink:

You have excellent taste. A very high quality inflatable. My kids have a blast with our old achilles and the 9.9 two stroke Yami.

I think the Achilles might be a little better boat. I believe they double-tape all their seems, where this one is single taped. Regardless, it's better than the Aquapro it replaced.

I love the little "gunkholers" and the fun to be had in 'em. That is where it started for me, and that is where it will probably end :yes:

Everytime i sit in one, with a small outboard I instantly go back to being 6... pretty cool...

Funny thing is, I might suddenly find myself with another dink. We've got an older Zodiac Yachtline 320 with a 2-stroke 30 hp Johnson on the back. It's a little rough - the seats need recovered, needs a battery, re-wired, etc. But it does run decent, and it's a full console boat, so it's even got a sounder, tach, speedo, etc. But the tube is bad. I found a local dealer with an NOS tube in stock he'd sell me for $1500 and tried to convince the boss it was a good idea to pick it up and restore the boat, then sell it (should be worth $4-5K with a little work) but he said no. So I offered to take it as payment for my $500 expense check this month. Still waiting on a decision, but I think they might go for it.

If I do get it, I'll clean it up and probably sell it as it's way to heavy for me to carry on my little 32 Carver. Or better yet, I might try to trade it for something like an old Whaler 13 to putz around the delta sloughs with. Perfect boat for exploring skinny water. :boat:

zelatore
06-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Oh, btw, it porpoises like an SOB with one person running slow, although it does settle down if you wind it up a little more (can't run it hard yet, only has an hour on it). It also smacks right into the rev limiter. But it should be just about right for 2 or 3 people.

Ghost
06-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Oh, btw, it porpoises like an SOB with one person running slow, although it does settle down if you wind it up a little more (can't run it hard yet, only has an hour on it). It also smacks right into the rev limiter. But it should be just about right for 2 or 3 people.

Tab down.

zelatore
06-25-2009, 11:30 PM
I tried, but nothing seems to happen when I push the button. I think the pump might not be up to the forces generated by the big speeds.

I'm hoping Griz can set me up with a double-secret prop to carry the bow a little better. :wink:

Donzi Vol
06-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Bring it.

I will take you with the Watertender and some oars any day!

Hedge, it looks like we're gonna have to strap about 100 hp to the back of your dingy to be Don in the great tender race.

The Hedgehog
06-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Hedge, it looks like we're gonna have to strap about 100 hp to the back of your dingy to be Don in the great tender race.

I am in. I plan to add some stringers (don't have any now), beef up the transom and find a wrecked jet ski motor to put in. I will probably lose the jet drive because it is just not efficient enough and strap on an Arneson. It is time for war.

Come on down. I will probably need a throttle man

The Hedgehog
06-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Don,

You have ruined me. I now have to find a real dinghy to hang off the cruiser.

How about a few pics of that bad boy on the davit?

zelatore
06-26-2009, 09:51 AM
I am in. I plan to add some stringers (don't have any now), beef up the transom and find a wrecked jet ski motor to put in. I will probably lose the jet drive because it is just not efficient enough and strap on an Arneson. It is time for war.

Come on down. I will probably need a throttle man

As Al Bundy would say, Let's Rock!

But before you get any big ideas, you better look closer my friend.

zelatore
06-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Don,
You have ruined me. I now have to find a real dinghy to hang off the cruiser.
How about a few pics of that bad boy on the davit?

The davit is sitting in my shop/office. I doubt I'll install it until I haul the boat over the winter.

Here's the website for the system I'm using. It's not the best, but it's fairly light and more importantly, I cut a deal to get it with the dink.
http://www.davit.com/rotating.html

Coincidentally, that's the same model dink in their photos that I have. I may look into adding that seat/helm (I think they call it a 'eurohelm') down the road as my o/b can be converted to remote control.

cutwater
06-26-2009, 10:03 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Hedgehog
06-26-2009, 10:19 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No joke. 200! Is that in lbs?

zelatore
06-26-2009, 11:04 AM
No joke. 200! Is that in lbs?

Sure felt like it when I picked it up and tried to step into the dink. I could do that pretty easily with the little 15 hp 2-stroke. Once was enough with this thing!

I think the published weight is around 120 lbs. The old Merc was closer to 90.

And that is why I'm going to the new davit system. No more installing/removing the outboard.

The Hedgehog
06-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Sure felt like it when I picked it up and tried to step into the dink. I could do that pretty easily with the little 15 hp 2-stroke. Once was enough with this thing!
I think the published weight is around 120 lbs. The old Merc was closer to 90.
And that is why I'm going to the new davit system. No more installing/removing the outboard.

I heard that about the davit system. Mine would have to come off the swim platform. I don't think I could bolt a St Croix to the top of the aft cabin:garfield:

Donzi Vol
06-26-2009, 11:25 AM
As Al Bundy would say, Let's Rock!

Alright Hedge, it looks like we're taking the 200 yamaha off of the 16 o/b and strapping it on the dingy. I couldn't think of too many better ways to leave this world...

zelatore
06-26-2009, 12:36 PM
I heard that about the davit system. Mine would have to come off the swim platform. I don't think I could bolt a St Croix to the top of the aft cabin:garfield:

If you get serious about a davit, I've done a bunch of different kinds on everything from aft cabins to expresses to sedans. I'm sure I can point you to something that will work.