PDA

View Full Version : flo torque vs flo torque 2

VetteLT193
06-25-2009, 05:11 PM
What's the difference between the flo torque and the flo torque 2 hubs?

I have 3 hubs. one is a flo torque, two are flo torque II (I think). Mirage Plus props.

The FT has a thrust washer, something else that fits into the base of the hub, hub, then the rest of the crap.

The FTII's don't have the "something else that fits into the base of the hub"

Is that part necessary? Donzi sent me a FT hub to replace 3 missing parts (thrust washer, nut, lock washer) I have all the rest of the stuff.

I'm used to solid hub props. this plastic stuff is new to me.

undertaker
06-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Vette go to Mercury's prop web site, explains the differences on the flo torgue nicely there, was just on the site the other day because I had the same questions as you....

Undertaker:pimp:

VetteLT193
06-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Vette go to Mercury's prop web site, explains the differences on the flo torgue nicely there, was just on the site the other day because I had the same questions as you....
Undertaker:pimp:

I looked there and else where but I can't seem to figure out that last part, and if it is needed.

The 2 hubs in the boat don't have that part inside the hub. the one overnighted to me by Donzi does. The instructions included with the hub kit are a freaking waste because they don't list Mirage as being compatible with the kit at all, even though it obviously is.

BigGrizzly
06-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Vette they are both junk I the the answer, ask Hedg, Tex and Mick

blackhawk
06-26-2009, 07:35 PM
If I remember correctly the flo-torq is for low hp applications and the flo-torq II is for high perf applications. But I would think they should have the same amount of parts.

They should both have the hub, insert, thrust washer, nut and locking collar. I always ran part# 835258K2.

SilverBack
06-26-2009, 07:40 PM
I think that one is composite and the other is solid metal. I think that you can get either of them to fit the square bore mercury hubs and the Bravo and XR shafts. I have never had any problem with either of them.

blackhawk
06-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Pic of components

Ken2
06-27-2009, 09:04 AM
The original flo torque hub was just a rubber hub like most props had 10 years ago.

The Flo torque II (style), is an interchangeable hub.
You can't put the new instert into a old rubber hubbed prop/ or solid prop.

There are 3 types of Flo Torque 2 style hubs.
1. stock. The hub insert is plastic (this is the one that you have).
2. solid. The hub insert is metal (its the one pictured in the above post)
3. racing. There is no thrust washer, or aft adapter or anything. Its one solid piece of metal for the 1 1/4 prop shaft, that still fits into the same hub cavity on the same prop.

I don't really understand what part your missing But, look at this picture.

The part just to the left of the thrust washer is the "bushing" its only used on certain propellers. The Mirage Plus is not one of them. You don't need this part to make it work.

The aft adapter is the brass part that fits into the plastic hub from behind the prop. It has the splines in it.
On the original flo torq hubs, it was not this long because the splines were already in the prop. Back then, there was a pice that looked the same from the back of the prop, but it was only 1/2 inch long, instead of 3 inches long.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa105/kenuwf/Ft2hub.jpg

Hope this helps

blackhawk
06-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Ahhhhh, I'm betting he is missing that piece between the thrust washer and hub on your pic Ken2.

Ken2
06-27-2009, 10:01 AM
yea, I think so too but I wasn't sure.

That piece is only used when you run Tempest Plus, Bravo I's, Rev 4's or Trophy Plus props.

BigGrizzly
06-28-2009, 06:22 AM
I have the better solution. I lost a lower do to the metal hub and the composite is not much better. Honda will NOT warranty any lower units with either metal or solid hub designs. I have seen the causes up close and personal. So have fun with this stuff. I am converting to all rubber square drives- whish is what the Merc drive system is called in the prop industry.

VetteLT193
06-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Ahhhhh, I'm betting he is missing that piece between the thrust washer and hub on your pic Ken2.

BINGO.

Some of the pictures show you are supposed to use it. some show you are not supposed to use it. I don't have them. Bad??? props fit fine

Ken2
06-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Bad? no. its fine. your not suppose to have one on the Mirage Plus

VetteLT193
06-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Bad? no. its fine. your not suppose to have one on the Mirage Plus

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for:)