PDA

View Full Version : GT21- Rotten Transom

axelkloehn
06-25-2009, 03:12 AM
Hi there,

if anybody thinks his transom is still good after 30 years in salty water take a look at this beauty....

After chopping it off do you guys have any recommandations for restoring it?
What kind of wood, what thickness (it was 1.7 inch for a Berkeley Jet, but now it gets a 7.4 Bravo one with sterndrive)?

Any other things to take care of?

Thanks, Axel :germany:

gcarter
06-25-2009, 06:08 AM
Looks like a fun project!
We need some more info....what is the stringer spacing?? Inside to inside?
We can convert from metric.

Morgan's Cloud
06-25-2009, 06:45 AM
'Tis just a small part of what needs to be done in the resto that lies ahead :biggrin.:

Actually , getting it to that stage is a significant part of the work and you may find the rest , not that difficult all things considered ..

There's been a load of discussion over transom core material but no matter what you end up utilising , the key is to make sure that every inch of the new cutout and every hole drilled is sealed absolutely perfectly.

Do give consideration to using epoxy resin for your job ahead ... It may be expensive ,but it's amazing stuff to work with.
Bear in mind that once you use it , you have to stick with it for any future work and in some areas special primers will be required if you want to gelcoat over it.

Remember ... be patient , take your time and go for the highest level of finish possible.

RedDog
06-25-2009, 06:51 AM
I don't know about the transom, but I'd be a little worried about that hole in the bottom ... :wink::wink::wink:

axelkloehn
06-25-2009, 07:40 AM
I don't know about the transom, but I'd be a little worried about that hole in the bottom ... :wink::wink::wink:

...oh yeah, that's another fun to deal with...:garfield:... might close it with combination of alloy plates in- and outside with screws and fiberglass on top... and than let it jump and see if it's strong enough :wink:

Axel :germany:

axelkloehn
06-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Looks like a fun project!
We need some more info....what is the stringer spacing?? Inside to inside?
We can convert from metric.

...Stringer spacing is about 35 inches, must measure...

...my concern is that the surface is not straight, it has a lot of camber which makes one strong wooden plate not fit- guess I need to sand it down left and right or glue it in in pieces, but than still there is camber and the inner bravo transom does not fit...

gcarter
06-25-2009, 08:59 AM
The bottom and the transom are easily repairable, there is a well known process that needs to be followed precisely.
I would suggest that you buy a book on the subject;
The Fiberglass Boat Repair manual by Alan H Vaitses
ISBN 0-07-156914-6
Here's a source;

http://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-Manual/dp/0071569146/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245938060&sr=1-1

There's a lot to absorb on this subject before you start experimenting. I found this book to be a really good guide.

Good luck.

axelkloehn
06-25-2009, 01:10 PM
The bottom and the transom are easily repairable, there is a well known process that needs to be followed precisely.
I would suggest that you buy a book on the subject;
The Fiberglass Boat Repair manual by Alan H Vaitses
ISBN 0-07-156914-6
Here's a source;

http://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-Manual/dp/0071569146/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245938060&sr=1-1

There's a lot to absorb on this subject before you start experimenting. I found this book to be a really good guide.

Good luck.

...yeah, that's great. Gotta buy it asap. I still have time, there is no need of a hurry to fix it up. Thanks for your help,

yeller
06-25-2009, 07:19 PM
If by chance you decide to put the jet back in, you don't have to do anything. A jetdrive does not need the transom reinforced because it does not transfer any torque load to it.

widowmaker
06-25-2009, 09:33 PM
I don't know whether the material is available in Europe, but I would suggest that you look at the Coosa Composites web site. I used double layers of their Bluewater 26 when re-doing my transom and sealed it well. I know that Grizzly bought some for his Criterion. Check it out at http://www.coosacomposites.com/bluewater.htmleck

axelkloehn
06-26-2009, 01:55 AM
If by chance you decide to put the jet back in, you don't have to do anything. A jetdrive does not need the transom reinforced because it does not transfer any torque load to it.

Yes, that's right. But I have a Bravo one with a 454 Mark IV lying around in my garage, and I don't have the Jet....

cheers, Axel :germany:

axelkloehn
06-26-2009, 01:57 AM
I don't know whether the material is available in Europe, but I would suggest that you look at the Coosa Composites web site. I used double layers of their Bluewater 26 when re-doing my transom and sealed it well. I know that Grizzly bought some for his Criterion. Check it out at http://www.coosacomposites.com/bluewater.htmleck

...we've got the same stuff in germany, different company but same product. Sounds like an interesting alternative. Will check the price.

thanks, Axel :germany: