PDA

View Full Version : BBC books

zelatore
06-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Since I'm about to build my first BBC, I wondered if anybody had a recomendation for a good performance oriented book on building marine BBC's?

In particular, something that addressed supercharged applications.

I admit, I haven't done any looking yet, but though I might as well ask. I've of course got the Seloc books for Mercs, and have access to the Merc service manuals through a friend, but I'm looking for performance stuff. I've got some books for small block Ford auto applications, but somehow I don't think they will be all that relevent. :wink:

*still pondering exactly what to build*

mrfixxall
06-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Since I'm about to build my first BBC, I wondered if anybody had a recomendation for a good performance oriented book on building marine BBC's?
In particular, something that addressed supercharged applications.
I admit, I haven't done any looking yet, but though I might as well ask. I've of course got the Seloc books for Mercs, and have access to the Merc service manuals through a friend, but I'm looking for performance stuff. I've got some books for small block Ford auto applications, but somehow I don't think they will be all that relevent. :wink:
*still pondering exactly what to build*

We all have our own books written in our heads:) google how to build a supercharged bigblock and you will find a ton of info..when it comes time for your cam contact RMBUILDER"/Bob Madara of Marine Kinetics in N.Y. 585-654-8583.Bob knows his chit!!! .....

mrfixxall
06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Zel heres a start for ya! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Big-block-Chevy-Manley-Pistons-blower-turbo-4-560-bbc_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dSIQ26itsQ3d IQ252BCQ26ituQ3dFICSQ252BUAQ252BUCIQ26otnQ3d15Q26p oQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d54QQ_trksidZp3907Q2em263QQcategoryZ 33623QQitemZ380132928694

BigGrizzly
06-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Lets find what is wrong first.

zelatore
06-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Lets find what is wrong first.

There you go, being all reasonable again. Where's the fun in that?:wink:

Don't worry, I'm not doing anything yet. I haven't even pulled the motor apart. I did soak the low cylinders in the carbon buster and re-run a leak down, but with the motor cold the numbers were so low I discounted them. I think the BEST I got was 40%....some of the others were 90%. (I don't have the numbers here at work).

I did get my Carver sorted and ready for next week's trip. And I hung the (freakin' heavy-azz 4-stroke!) new Tohatsu on the back of the dink and fired it for the first time just about an hour ago. So I'm not sitting on my hands here.

But I figured if I had some basic reading material for when I'm hanging on the hook over the 4th it wouldn't hurt.

The Hedgehog
06-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Sounds like a nice 4th to me!

MOP
06-25-2009, 08:19 PM
I barely read the other posts!!!! If you are going where I think you want to go then a go over board, IMO that is the best advice anyone can you, best rods, best pistons, best crank!!! When one goes boating one does not want to sweat what is going to let go! Pushing the margins is always risky that you can not avoid but the best parts will will let you breath a little easier! I breath very easily but I don't care about how fast but how long!

Phil