PDA

View Full Version : Tom's maiden voyage.....

HOWARD O
06-24-2009, 08:20 PM
I just had the pleasure of assisting Tom Smith on his first launch of his 1966 Barrelback that he acquired from Donzi Racer. Unfortunately, it was a little choppy this evening, the wind had kicked up. But Tom is obviously experienced and his new boat sure didn't mind it one bit, it rides beautifully! Tom says he's on Cloud 9.
Anyway, I snapped some photos of our short excursion, as did Tom's wife when we got back. I was easily outclassed today...... :yes:

HOWARD O
06-24-2009, 08:22 PM
let's do it again soon, Tom!

fogducker III
06-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Wow! I wanna go...........:yes: Both boats look VERY nice, what do you mean, "a little choppy"? that is PERFECT weather........:wink:

HOWARD O
06-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Wow! I wanna go...........:yes: Both boats look VERY nice, what do you mean, "a little choppy"? that is PERFECT weather........:wink:

I had a beautiful 40 minute ride back home with the sun setting, I'll tell ya that much! :yes:

Does Tom look at home in his boat or what?

penbroke
06-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Nice boat! That looks like perfect Donzi water to me. Gotta let the old girl do what she was built for now and again.

Frank :cool:
Just got back from doing the same.

Donzi Vol
06-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Tom,

I'm incredibly happy for you and incredibly jealous all at the same time. Haha. I'm glad that you're enjoying it. She sure does look good. I really like the blue bottom paint versus the brown color. Kudos on that call.

-David

Tom Smith
06-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Many thanks to Howard O for his moral support. He sure was a great confidence builder. This is by far the "hottest" boat I have ever owned so I was a bit concerned. Not to worry. That Holman Moody 289 runs like a swiss watch and the boat handles great. Looking foreward to many fun hours out here on the Neuse River. I agree, that blue Pettit Vivid does look great on there compared to that other reddish stuff. I don't see many Donzi's with bottom paint on them put I plan to leave it in the water for long weekends and with the brackish water here in the Neuse I felt compelled to protect the bottom and outdrive. See y'all on the water. Tom

smbarcelow
06-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Beautiful boat!

Speed Racer
06-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Beautiful boat!

+1!
Sweet PAIR of Donzis!!

BigGrizzly
06-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Nice going your on your way.

Tom Smith
06-26-2009, 11:14 AM
I took Elaine out last night for a sunset cruise and she loved it. She said it was like riding in our hot rod, but on the water instead of land. This is a good thing. The river was choppy as all get out again (shallow, and 6 miles wide) so we turned back into Northwest Creek and ran it in there. A slight chop and she was right at home around 40 mph. Can't scare momma on the first run ya know. I'm happy at that speed anyway. My racing days are over I'm afraid.

Having a bit of trouble with the throttle/shift lever. Coming back into the dock at idle I pulled the handle back expecting it to go into neutral and it just kept idling foreward. I had to cut the ignition and jump up on the foredeck to keep from ramming the dock. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement throttle quadrant for this old girl. Is there something newer that I could replace it with. My docking facility is kind of tight so I need full control at all times.

I noticed when Donzi Racer took us out for a test ride in Florida that the transmission would bang into gear. On my first run the night before last I backed away from the launch ramp and it went into neutral, quietly. I then pushed foreward and it silently went into foreward (no bang). I said to myself that maybe Tom was not shifting it right but last night with Elaine in the boat I backed out of my slip and when I put in into foreward, BANG, it did the dame thing to me it did to Tom ( bang). It's is going directly from reverse into foreward. Not a good thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I love this boat. Tom

Donzi Vol
06-26-2009, 11:22 AM
I noticed when Donzi Racer took us out for a test ride in Florida that the transmission would bang into gear. On my first run the night before last I backed away from the launch ramp and it went into neutral, quietly. I then pushed foreward and it silently went into foreward (no bang). I said to myself that maybe Tom was not shifting it right but last night with Elaine in the boat I backed out of my slip and when I put in into foreward, BANG, it did the dame thing to me it did to Tom ( bang). It's is going directly from reverse into foreward. Not a good thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I love this boat. Tom

Yep...it's the idle. I had the same thing happening to me until I slowed it down. Adjust the screw on the carb and you should be fine.

Tom Smith
06-26-2009, 02:30 PM
David, the only guage on the dash that is working is the ammeter, so I have no idea what RPMs this motor is turning. When at full low idle and in neutral, not start neutral, it is running pretty slow. The whole throttle quadrant is kind of loose. Only 2 of the 4 screws that hold it in the side panel are in place. That may be allowing some play in there and not allowing it to go fully into neutral before shifting into the opposite gear. I'll figue it out, but would like to know if there is a more up to date replacement for this system. The instruments are another story. http://www.donzi.net/forums/../ubb/icons/icon9.gif Tom

HOWARD O
06-26-2009, 06:46 PM
I'd be happy to bring over my digital timing light. It has a tach function, works nicely. :yes: Maybe take a gander at your throttle too? Two heads are better than one!

Glad Elaine likes the boat, that's great! Truly is like a hotrod on the water!

Howard

Tom Smith
06-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Glad you made it back safely. If you get some free time I would appreciate you taking a look at this throttle thingy for me. Rick, the guy who owns the dock I use, is here for the weekend with his wife, mom, daugher and son in law and a few little kids. I think it best if we wait till they leave on Monday, but I would appreciate you taking a look. Tom