PDA

View Full Version : Gov't money, Electric cars, TESLA

Lenny
06-24-2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/06/23/tesla.electric.cars/index.html

I must say, that I actually "like" the looks of this vehicle. Maybe it will actually work ???

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/index.php

boxy
06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
I like TESLA......
but I love the 5 Man Electrical Band's ORIGINAL version .....
Z1Q7cP3ij5g

Lenny, here is the Top Gear review of the TESLA, pretty cool... :convertib:
AG3bMKR5eXk

zelatore
06-24-2009, 11:05 AM
The key here is the money is targeted at the new model S sedan. It's a 'normal' every day car instead of a sports car. Target price is under $50K - which is relatively affordable. Heck, I pass dozens of cars in that price range every time I come to work, so plenty of people COULD afford it if they want it.

It's a decent looking car. It's also the first car they'll actually design and build in-house - the roadster is basically a modified Lotus.

But (and this was already covered in another poll/thread) with all these companies tooling up to build hybrids and full electrics, who's going to buy them? Does Joe SixPack actually want these vehicles?

MOP
06-24-2009, 11:09 AM
You have to wonder about the validity of articles like these and the ones that say the batteries production from ore to finish has a global carbon track worse then gasoline power. Also the disposal issue will be looming in the future, the general public may reap the same of the same kind of rewards it has gotten from ethanol!
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/environment/2008-02-25-plug-in-hybrids-pollution_N.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/hybrid-technology/hybrid-cars-cause-pollution.htm/printable
http://www.greenfootsteps.com/hybrid-car-disadvantages.html

Has anyone explored "Swift fuel" http://www.swiftenterprises.com/Swift%20Fuel.html

We may be running head long into an even greater problem!

Ghost
06-24-2009, 11:10 AM
...Target price is under $50K - which is relatively affordable. Heck, I pass dozens of cars in that price range every time I come to work, so plenty of people COULD afford it if they want it....

I worry how much the market for $35k-$50k cars has dried up relative to about 2 years ago, and how much further contraction it may see. I wonder if they missed the moving target by a couple years for the kinda numbers they might want or need.

penbroke
06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
I like TESLA......
but I love the 5 Man Electrical Band's ORIGINAL version .....

Thanks Boxy! I haven't heard that in years...

Frank

zelatore
06-24-2009, 11:31 AM
...Target price is under $50K - which is relatively affordable. Heck, I pass dozens of cars in that price range every time I come to work, so plenty of people COULD afford it if they want it....

I worry how much the market for $35k-$50k cars has dried up relative to about 2 years ago, and how much further contraction it may see. I wonder if they missed the moving target by a couple years for the kinda numbers they might want or need.

Oh, a big chunk of that market has certainly dried up. I'd guestimate I see 1/2 or 1/3 the new cars I used to on the road from a couple years ago. There's no question they would have been better off if they could have launched earlier. First, they would have hit the market when money was flowing like water, and second they would have already been in position with the product when gas prices exploded causing all the short-sighted sheeple to sell their SUVs (at a loss) and buy Priuses-Priii-Whatever they are called (at a premium).

Here's a good one for you - they are actually building the cars in San Jose. While I applaud them for the loyalty to their home area, and they did get some tax incentives to build here, there's a reason CA has lost something like 30% of it's manufacturing jobs over the last few years. And not just to overseas markets, but simply to other states. Cost of living and cost of doing business here is crazy!

(do I sound like a Republican yet?)

BUIZILLA
06-24-2009, 11:47 AM
pretty soon you guys are going to be going ga ga over the amp ratings of your electric cars....

the next millionare is going to invent parking meters with 20 amp chargers.... $5 per hour to park and charge your car... such a deal..

I want to see how long these electric gimmicks last in multi hour, rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic, with lights, a/c, stereo, and wipers going... :nilly:

gcarter
06-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Most of them will need a 50 AMP charge, like the Tesla.
At 30 AMPs, it take a considerable amount of time. Pretty expensive parking!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Say N20
06-24-2009, 12:05 PM
. . .causing all the short-sighted sheeple to sell their SUVs (at a loss) and buy Priuses-Priii-Whatever they are called (at a premium).

That's pretty funny!

(do I sound like a Republican yet?)

Almost. :eek: :yes:

Air 22
06-24-2009, 12:18 PM
pretty soon you guys are going to be going ga ga over the amp ratings of your electric cars....

the next millionare is going to invent parking meters with 20 amp chargers.... $5 per hour to park and charge your car... such a deal..

I want to see how long these electric gimmicks last in multi hour, rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic, with lights, a/c, stereo, and wipers going... :nilly:

you forgot about them towing...anything...:nilly:

Tesla ....sounds awsome in the Escalade....:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8DrIoBvhzE&feature=PlayList&p=4D50F74C54EBB26E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26

justleft
06-24-2009, 01:38 PM
I agree with MOP, the batteries are not green.

Then think about the recycling mess. 6000+ batteries per car !!

I know how many laptop batteries I've worn out and they ain't cheap
to replace.

HOWARD O
06-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Fascinating thread!

That car tied the 911 GT3 track time on that video, that's very impressive!

But look what this electric car has done to all of you!

It's turned Zelatore into a Republican.

It's turned MOP into a treehugger

Buizilla thinks it's a gimmick.

Ghost is concerned that his poor neighbors can't buy it.

Air22 just wants to tow his boat, nothing else really matters. I agree with him, by the way.

I agree with all of you, but boy, I have to say that it's an electric car that actually made me take some notice, that's for sure!

gcarter
06-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Fascinating thread!

That car tied the 911 GT3 track time on that video, that's very impressive!

But look what this electric car has done to all of you!

It's turned Zelatore into a Republican.

It's turned MOP into a treehugger

Buizilla thinks it's a gimmick.

Ghost is concerned that his poor neighbors can't buy it.

Air22 just wants to tow his boat, nothing else really matters. I agree with him, by the way.

I agree with all of you, but boy, I have to say that it's an electric car that actually made me take some notice, that's for sure!

These are all reasons why this is only a hiccup.
Really good batteries that will safely be able to withstand a collision w/o exploding or burning are prohibitively expensive.
Americans are used to powertrains that will last 200K miles or ten years, I don't think they'll be happy buying 2 or more battery packs in that time.

Bring on the turbo Diesels.

MOP
06-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Though touted in the link below as a new invention it really is not, just guessing at the time frame but about 20+ years ago a group of scientists came up with a rechargeable plastic battery. I remember seeing it on TV shortly after its debut it was bought up by Union Carbide never to be seen again, their battery was suppose to be life time and non polluting. Apparently the guys in the link below also figured out something similar. What is needed is for something safe and non polluting. Not sure how factual but an article I read about the Pruis was the battereis were expected to last 5-7 years, the replacement cost was about $5,000 for a new set.

http://www.rfid-weblog.com/50226711/ultrathin_plastic_battery_for_active_rfid_tags.php

HOWARD O
06-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Bring on the turbo Diesels.

Amen to that. But how? The ridiculous emissions standards knocked VW's TDI out of the picture until what, this year? BMW has had a great performing diesel, is it even available here yet? Look at the new diesel trucks with those ridiculous particulate filters and their mileage pretty much sucks. At least compared to my '03 Ford.

I think diesels show such promise.......but I've always felt that way. But the gov't will continue to be in the way of anything good!

BUIZILLA
06-24-2009, 09:39 PM
bimmer 335d is around

X5 diesel is alllll over Europe

E320 Bluetec benz is around

G320 Benz is around..

VW TDI is around..

Ford can find a diesel for it's Fusion, if it really wanted to..

gcarter
06-24-2009, 09:50 PM
bimmer 335d is around

X5 diesel is alllll over Europe

E320 Bluetec benz is around

G320 Benz is around..

VW TDI is around..

Ford can find a diesel for it's Fusion, if it really wanted to..

Unfortunately, this is the only one most folks can afford.
I like the Bimmer 335d, but I just hate paying the bill!!:nilly:
I guess I'm waiting on Ford.