PDA

View Full Version : Engine paints

captdennisgray
06-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Hey guys, Finally got the old 302 out of the St T and presently putting the new engine together.... I have a question on the types of paints that work well on the engines... I believe Harbormaster had a really sharp paint job on his recent motor swap and wonder what brand of paint was being used to get that super glossy look.

I plan on a sunshine yellow with black accents on the St T's motor..

Any comments will be greatly appreciated...

harbormaster
06-24-2009, 09:16 AM
we use PPG concept 9200 urethane paint for all kinds of stuff including engines. Its really durable and looks wet all the time. Its also easy to spray.

gcarter
06-24-2009, 09:45 AM
I agree w/Scot.
There's lots of single stage urethane paints that are good on everything, not only engines, but drives and tabs.

hot shot
06-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Yep both replies are correct... I reccomend Matrix System's MAU single stage for 3 reasons... 1. Its almost a copy off ppg 2. its close to 1/2 the price without sacrificing any quality and # 3 I sell it/// I have been in the paint business for about 22 years selling ppg, basf, dupont and dollar for dollar you can't beat Matrix... just 2 cents

captdennisgray
06-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Ok.... I was wondering what type of paints were leaving that super slick finish... i will be looking to paint the engine by late July...

thanks for the input .....

Hot Shot ,, I will probably get a msg to you about a purchase order soon.... Looking for a bright yellow (maybe sunshine or daytona) and trim out in a gloss black...

One last question...... Evidentally the paint can handle the heat from the engine without cracking ?

hot shot
06-25-2009, 07:52 AM
you are correct.... the reason that you see rattle can's of engine paint in your local auto parts stores is that it will match oem colors... it is no more heat resistant than acrylic or urethane finishes... not sure i can ship it to ya because the shipping charges for haz materials might be a deal breaker... let me know and mabe i can help mick

captdennisgray
06-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Hot Shot thanks for the info.... what would be the best type primer to lay down first?

Barry Eller
06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Ok.... I was wondering what type of paints were leaving that super slick finish... i will be looking to paint the engine by late July...
thanks for the input .....
Hot Shot ,, I will probably get a msg to you about a purchase order soon.... Looking for a bright yellow (maybe sunshine or daytona) and trim out in a gloss black...
One last question...... Evidentally the paint can handle the heat from the engine without cracking ?
I used Imron on my 502. The color was Freightliner Yellow. I have black trim, polished aluminum and stainless steel accessories.

mrfixxall
06-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Hot Shot thanks for the info.... what would be the best type primer to lay down first?

i used zinc primer, and toped it off with imron,10 yrs and still holding:)

i used sun poppy b/c yellow its a little more yellow then barrys motor,like the yellow on carl c boat..

captdennisgray
06-29-2009, 09:27 PM
I really appreciate all the info guys... will post pics when i get her together......