PDA

View Full Version : electrical

22zxla
06-24-2009, 05:51 AM
Have a 22zx, and this might be hard to explain, but here goes. On my last two outings I can here the sound of electricity coming from the compartment underneath the console. The sound like when something is shorting out. The noise isnt constant ,but i would say 70% of the time. Its pretty loud, scary loud! Pushed all the fuses in tight , wiggled the wires, seem tight, and dont see any electric arching. Boat runs fine and all the swithes seem to work everything. So what you think, circuit board? Thanks!

fegettes
06-24-2009, 06:48 AM
IMO. Some times it is difficult to tear into some thing when it is working perfectly fine. But, the way I see it, you have two choices. You can either tear into it now and fix it, or wait until what ever it is burns up, and then replace burned up components.

Can you open up the console and look for some close connections that may be periodicly arching?

Steve

Ghost
06-24-2009, 07:06 AM
FWIW, if there is arcing going on, I would think viewing it in the dark (for once) would help you see what you were looking for. Not sure if that's what you tried, but maybe worth a shot. -Mike

glashole
06-24-2009, 07:13 AM
its not a bad ground on the stereo coming through the speakers is it?

mattyboy
06-24-2009, 07:33 AM
a quick track down would be pull all the fuses , then replace one at a time cycling the key on and off each time to see if you can identify which circuit is causing the noise hopefully it is not the main buss

MOP
06-24-2009, 08:19 AM
I had a customer complaining of what sounded like loud sparking under the dash, said it happened in rough water. What we found was that when the boat hit a wave the dash it's self was crackling making a sound similar to sparking. May want to explore that!

BUIZILLA
06-24-2009, 09:00 AM
does the volt meter jump around when this happens?

if not, follow MOP's plan...

22zxla
06-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the replies! I can open the hatch under the console and all the wires are right there. Im not that electrically inclined ,so im lost under there. Was hoping someone would say , oh thats a relay or .... Will look further into it. thanks!