06-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Please watch the 50 second video.:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtgK20Q0Ows

fogducker III
06-23-2009, 06:42 PM
another 50 seconds of my life wasted..........:nilly:

vrod02
06-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Not wasted. Hes got something VERY special there. :popcorn: WOW!! Congrats.

Ghost
06-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Weird, my wife just said that....

cutwater
06-23-2009, 07:58 PM

For sure. I have always loved that boat.

fogducker III
06-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Weird, my wife just said that....

LMFAO............:wink:

fogducker III
06-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Don't get me wrong, nice boat, just not my cup of tea, if I was interested I would be on the Nova Marine/Wellcraft site...............:wink:

cutwater
06-23-2009, 10:45 PM
if I was interested I would be on the Nova Marine/Wellcraft site...............:wink:

Uhhh... Check which section you're in, haha :wink:

fogducker III
06-23-2009, 10:50 PM

I realize this section is in order to talk about other boats.....:wink:

My comments were that the specific boat is nice but not my taste, the original post was asking people to watch a 50 second clip, I found that a waste of my time............your point???:confused:

vrod02
06-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Exacty Dog focker the 3rd. Man I'd be proud of that screen name.:nilly:
Mark probably should have used a different name on the thread, but he's excited! as some around here are as well.

penbroke
06-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Nice score Mark! I know she will be in good hands,

Frank

mattyboy
06-24-2009, 08:02 AM
well albeit that this might be only interesting to some who have a love for the hey day , and the siskel and eibert's might trash the cinematography.

all that aside it is a great piece of history, i have a question is this one of the boats Brownie ran with twin engines and a single screw v drive??? I can't figure out what the port is on the side a midship is it an exhaust for an inboard motor or is it a discharge for ballast system??

Ghost
06-24-2009, 08:43 AM
well albeit that this might be only interesting to some who have a love for the hey day , and the siskel and eibert's might trash the cinematography.

all that aside it is a great piece of history, i have a question is this one of the boats Brownie ran with twin engines and a single screw v drive??? I can't figure out what the port is on the side a midship is it an exhaust for an inboard motor or is it a discharge for ballast system??

That's the side exhaust for the forward motor. -Mike

mattyboy
06-24-2009, 08:56 AM
that's what I thought Brownie had some sucess with twin 427's turning a single screw is this one of those boats?

fogducker III
06-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Exacty Dog focker the 3rd. Man I'd be proud of that screen name.:nilly:
Mark probably should have used a different name on the thread, but he's excited! as some around here are as well.

Thanks speedy.........I like my screen name as well....:wink:

f_inscreenname
06-24-2009, 09:39 AM
that's what I thought Brownie had some sucess with twin 427's turning a single screw is this one of those boats?

Hey Matt
That is the boat. There is only one SuperNova.

Hey Fog
It is what it is. It's your choice not to like it. I'm not big on 57 Chevy's but they seem to have a following. :kingme:

The rest of ya,

Thanks! I hope you all will help along the way.

cutwater
06-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Hey Matt
That is the boat. There is only one SuperNova.

Are you taking it back to the racing livery? I think it would look cool with repro's of the original decals/original paint job.

f_inscreenname
06-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Are you taking it back to the racing livery? I think it would look cool with repro's of the original decals/original paint job.

Sure am. Just like it looks in the picture. Even contacted onesubdrvr down in the for sale section about some decals (got to start saving for them). The only difference will be that the 427 ford side oilers are history. One is trashed and the other.....well ....needs work. Those kind of motors also go for big bucks so I saved about 15 to 20 grand leaving them with Ferd. That and I plan on driving this boat and would rather have "lesser" motors that will last longer. That being said, a couple of 454 @ 400hp a piece should get it around.

BlownCrewCab
06-26-2009, 06:35 AM

It's the most Popular one. The one that ended his Racing Career.

VetteLT193
06-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Don't get me wrong, nice boat, just not my cup of tea, if I was interested I would be on the Nova Marine/Wellcraft site...............:wink:

Did Wellcraft have anything to do with Nova?

I know Wellcraft had a nova model, but I though Nova was a totally different brand that Brownie started.

gcarter
06-26-2009, 07:34 AM
In this web site, there's a paragraph or two concerning starting the boat with one of these tandom setups..........http://www.surfury.co.uk/history.htm
Challenging to say the least.
If it were me, I'd probably be tempted to run on one engine most of the time.
But it was THE hot setup in the day if you needed 1200 HP or so.

Congratulations!

BlownCrewCab
06-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Did Wellcraft have anything to do with Nova?

I know Wellcraft had a nova model, but I though Nova was a totally different brand that Brownie started.

Wellcraft Bought Nova From Brownie.....

VetteLT193
06-26-2009, 09:04 AM

Didn't know that, pretty cool piece of history. :wink:

Ghost
06-26-2009, 11:43 AM

There's some history and photography here, if anyone wants more about Nova Marine's history.

http://www.supernova19.com/nova_marine_at_supernova19_com.htm

Morgan's Cloud
06-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Always had a soft spot for the original Novas .

I think it's great that it's going to a good home . I bet it's like having the Holy Graille for you ...... :kingme:

Besides , considering that it almost was a Donzi , folks here ought to take a personal interest in you doing it right ! ! :pimp:

BlownCrewCab
06-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Always had a soft spot for the original Novas .

I think it's great that it's going to a good home . I bet it's like having the Holy Graille for you ...... :kingme:

Besides , considering that it almost was a Donzi , folks here ought to take a personal interest in you doing it right ! ! :pimp:

I think the hull is the Donzi 7Meter, right? So that makes it more of a donzi..

f_inscreenname
06-26-2009, 01:18 PM
From what I was told, the underside of the bow cleat is stamped Donzi Marine. :kingme:

vrod02
06-26-2009, 08:46 PM
From what I was told, the underside of the bow cleat is stamped Donzi Marine. :kingme:
Correct. I think B did some fine tuning. I thought he would be all over this.:lookaroun:

f_inscreenname
06-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Well, that settles it then ;) :D :p

That Allan had sticky fingers or used the same supplier? :D

Ghost
06-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I think the hull is the Donzi 7Meter, right? So that makes it more of a donzi..

Stretched a little to just under 25ft, but exactly that, yes.

gcarter
06-27-2009, 11:40 AM
I'll start figuring out how to make twin engine mounts..

If he's planning on keeping the same tandem engine configuration, why would he need new mounts???
Unless they're rusted out or something....

tommymonza
06-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Pretty Cool eefingscreenname. Look forward to see you working on it. Where did you find it can you tell us what has been happening to it since Brownie retired it ?

gcarter
06-27-2009, 01:56 PM
If he's planning on keeping the same tandem engine configuration, why would he need new mounts???

Never mind.

BlownCrewCab
06-27-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm pretty damn sure he would agree that any discussion of Brownie and sticky fingers would not be suitable for a PG/R rated board :nilly: :nilly: :nilly: :eek:..

It would go exactly like this...Hmmnn.... Ha, That F'r owed us money so we took some cleats.....:yes: He don't get mad at much... Except when we where in germany and he told me to put the bags in the back of the car,He's sitting in the drivers seat and the back seat raises forward so the seat back came over the top of the front seat (spring loaded) well he's sippin on a heinekin and I pulled the lever, the seat flew up and hit him in the back of the head forcing the bottle in his mouth, that made him mad (I chuckled a little)

Donzi Racer
06-27-2009, 06:19 PM
It would go exactly like this...Hmmnn.... Ha, That F'r owed us money so we took some cleats.....:yes: He don't get mad at much... Except when we where in germany and he told me to put the bags in the back of the car,He's sitting in the drivers seat and the back seat raises forward so the seat back came over the top of the front seat (spring loaded) well he's sippin on a heinekin and I pulled the lever, the seat flew up and hit him in the back of the head forcing the bottle in his mouth, that made him mad (I chuckled a little)

I don't care who you are, that is Damn Funny! I can see it now. Tom

f_inscreenname
06-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Alright let me see what I can answer.
Originally Posted by BlownCrewCab
I think the hull is the Donzi 7Meter, right? So that makes it more of a donzi.
If that’s the case then you could call it a Cary as much as you could a Donzi.
MP
I'm pretty damn sure he would agree that any discussion of Brownie and sticky fingers would not be suitable for a PG/R rated
So, when ya bringing her home?? I'll start figuring out how to make twin engine mounts..

Alright I will give you that one.
The trailer came home today. Only lost two hub caps and chased an old lady off the sidewalk. All and all not a bad trip. The trailer neeeeddddddddsssssss work before any boat could sit on it. Spent the day beating out rust and finding out how bad it really is.

GC

I’m not even sure what I am getting yet. I’m sure Ferd will give up everything he can find but I think I will be getting parts for the next few months. It's good to have a back up plan.
TM
Pretty Cool eefingscreenname. Look forward to see you working on it. Where did you find it can you tell us what has been happening to it since Brownie retired it ?
First, I got a cool Monza for sale.
I’ve know where it's been for years now. Just know one else did. Well, Brownie did. Its also has been on my site for years ( SuperNova19.com - shameless plug) and I think if someone would have came to me wanting to seriously buy it I would have took them to it. But……
All I know is, in reverse order, me, Ferd, Car dealer (that had no clue what it was), a DuPont, …………, Brownie.
BBC
LMFAO Great story!

vrod02
06-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Cary was top pop. Nothing to do with the hull. Richard Cole design on the 7.

f_inscreenname
06-28-2009, 01:52 AM
Where can I get aluminum 3" tube, cheap?

Morgan's Cloud
06-29-2009, 07:07 AM
Hold on ..... the Seven Meter had 3 strakes per side ... As similar as the hulls appear otherwise , that's a pretty significant difference ..

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53086&highlight=donzi+meter

Ghost
06-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Good eye--I hadn't noticed the extra strake on the 7Meter. (Though down that low, almost along the the keel, I wonder how much it actually can do.) -Mike

f_inscreenname
06-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Where did you get that with the spelling error?:kingme:

Got power.:nilly:
http://i.ebayimg.com/23/!BUqN6Wg!mk~$(KGrHgoH-EUEjlLlu)UgBKOoFo3)b!~~_1.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!BUqN8cgBmk~$(KGrHgoH-CYEjlLl8jjFBKOoFtycBw~~_1.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/06/!BUqN+1gBmk~$(KGrHgoH-CsEjlLlzPB1BKOoF3G1rQ~~_1.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/22/!BUqOBlgCGk~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLlzw8!BKOoF7hw+Q~~_1.JPG

realbold
06-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Why 2 anchors?? :D :D

:hyper:

BlownCrewCab
06-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Are those aluminum heads? Are you going to hook up with brownie for info?? The whole family is headed to Martinsville, Va. For a wedding, He said he couldn't go, something about some "South Fla Beavers" that needed taking care of:kingme: But I may go down and see him for the south Fla Wedding Reception 2 weeks later if you need me to find out anything. I think he'll be there (with his skins)

f_inscreenname
07-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Questions…….questions…..where to start? I’ve had so many over the years that the race boat is just the tip of the iceberg. But I will stick to the boat at hand.
1, year built? Not the year titled but the actual year the hull was finished (69, 68 makes no difference to me accept for a dream I have always had of owning a 68 Nova. I thought mine would be a two door but go figure).
2, Races won with this boat (when I take it to shows I would like to make a plaque of it’s history)
3, Will brownie authenticate the boat as being the one and only “Super Nova Race Boat”?
4, was it the first Nova or was there production boats first?
5, any better pictures of it back in the day? Want to make sure I get the graphics right.
6, I’m also thinking of putting names on the boat like NASCAR drivers do over the car door. Of course it would be Brownie for the driver, would “Big Dirty” be the co pilot?
7, Who owned it after him?
8, Is he mad that own it now?
9, Dose he want to take a me for a ride in it next summer?
I could go on for ever but it’s late.
It is definitely the original trailer and must not have been used much over the years. A car buff friend of mine was over last night updating me on his neighbor’s progress of digging out his welder. As I was showing him the spots that need to be done he looks at the tail light and says, “these are original” as I look at him stupidly he says, “the code on the lens is from 68”. Sadly there is only one left. The other is just a rotted out box and part of a lens.
Speaking of that, I going to have some Brownie memorabilia for sale. A couple frozen pump jacks actually pumped by Brownie. 4 semi dry rotted 8 ply, bias ply tires (that held up considerably well for 40 years old) ridden hard by Brownie. Last but not least, some of Brownie’s “wood” (from the trailer). :kingme:
I do need help with bearings though. Really bad. The axle’s inside bearing is 1.5” and the outside is .934 (I think) and I cant find them anywhere. No bearings no race boat. It’s 1969 Rocket trailer (their 25’ version ) with torsion axels. Please someone help.

f_inscreenname
07-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Notice I didn't answer the heads question.:wink: I don't know what they are. I've got my figures crossed. It has to be better then the last block of 454 rust I bought for $800 out of a corn field in Pennsylvania.

olredalert
07-02-2009, 08:09 AM
------F_in,,,I may be the only one on the board that actually saw your boat back in the day. I think it was 69/70 when at DONZI one day I wandered over to the in-n-out at the end of the canal and this Nova raceboat was there on the lift. The reason I remember it so well is that the boat had what I would call "cavitation plates" mounted on the transom the full width of the hull. My memory says that they were about two feet deep, though. I have never seen anything like it since. I had no knowledge of Brownie back then, but much, much later in Sarasota at Mikes DONZI get-together I saw a picture in one of the albums he brought. I managed to put two and two together at that point and asked him about the boat. He responded by telling me all about the "cav-plates" and how they were supposed to work, but didnt. Do you have any signs left of those "plates" being attached to the transom???........Bill S

f_inscreenname
07-02-2009, 10:14 AM
There is something that was on the transom (the transom is striped right now). From what I was told they were tabs that had aircraft actuators. There is still a lot of questions I will not answers for until I get the boat and all of its parts. If it dose come with them I will be sure to leave them off. :wink:

vrod02
07-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Have you contacted the B? Give him a shout over at Stainless if not. He's always answer ? for me. I think they even have a "ask Brownie" thread thing on the site, If you dont want to disturb him with a phone call at work.

f_inscreenname
07-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Have you contacted the B? Give him a shout over at Stainless if not. He's always answer ? for me. I think they even have a "ask Brownie" thread thing on the site, If you dont want to disturb him with a phone call at work.

I didn't think he was at SM anymore???

BlownCrewCab
07-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I didn't think he was at SM anymore???

Nope, Now he's working for Harry Shoell (but NOT On Boats) You could still call him if you needed. (wink)

vrod02
07-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Nope, Now he's working for Harry Shoell (but NOT On Boats) You could still call him if you needed. (wink)

Another reason to call , Monza dude.:shades:

f_inscreenname
07-09-2009, 09:48 PM
150 bucks for bearings and seals. Both inner and outer bearings and the seal all come from 3 different places. :boggled:

f_inscreenname
07-31-2009, 05:14 PM
The trailer is done. Should be picking up the boat in a couple days.:shades:

From this,
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/4012/73217946.jpg

To this,
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/6974/49985645.jpg

penbroke
07-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Lookin' good man! Keep it up, you're just getting started...

Frank :cool:
I love history. I just can't afford it...

gcarter
08-01-2009, 06:38 AM
You need another boat in your driveway! :yes::boggled:
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/4012/73217946.jpg

f_inscreenname
08-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Looks great man, you get the brakes working OK?
Ya, I’m a platinum card carrying member of the trailer superstore in Delaware. Found complete backer plates for the brakes cheaper then I could buy the parts to rebuild them for. The master cylinder was a little tougher to find but I did and it’s on also.
So to return this pile of rust to the road it took, 2 new box beams, 4 new tires and stems, 8 bearings (very hard to find), 4 seals, 2 new brake backer plates, 2 drums re-cut, all new brake lines, new master cylinder, new lights, new wiring, new electric winch, new home built bow stop, some new rollers (some were still good), 2 customized pump jacks, about 45 cans of spray paint, lots of banging, beating, drilling, drill/wire wheel brushing, welding and a untold amount of nuts, bolts and washers. 6 weeks and to much money.

Lookin' good man! Keep it up, you're just getting started...

Do I ever know it. I’ve gone from pessimism to optimism about this one over and over. Thinking it may be done next summer or the summer after. There is so much to do but at the same time there is so little with the boat. It’s not a cruiser with cockpit and cabin. Hell it aint even got seats. The work Ferd did to it has got it up to ……..well the only thing I can compare it to it a model car that’s still in the box. Nothing has been cut out, doors just sit there because the hinge system wasn’t figured out yet, etc, etc. For me it is the perfect starting place. The best thing is Ferd did all the molded parts (I’m not that good with glass) so it just has to be spotted up, sanded and painted (like a model car) and then comes the fun part, putting it all together. Or what I like to think of as, “recreating history in my driveway.”
I may be bit upstaged when it comes to history by Baltimore (7 miles up river) or Fort McHenry (5 miles up river) and that Francis Scott Key’s poem (written about a mile up river) but all I keep thinking about when this boat is done is that Jack Nicholson line from BatMan, “wait until they get a load of me.” My version is, “wait until the folks on the bay get a load of this one”:nilly: and then before work I can walk past my chunk of history and touch it. Life is good.

You need another boat in your driveway!
The yellow one is on the block as soon as I fix a valve. The red one…..stays for ever.:wink:
And for that matter I need to go get some gas in it and see if I can empty the tank before the night is out if you know what I mean.

Craig S
08-01-2009, 01:52 PM
All Novas must have come with that trailer...same one mine has.

Ghost
08-01-2009, 03:50 PM
All Novas must have come with that trailer...same one mine has.

+1 on that (or something very similar), though mine is long gone.

f_inscreenname
08-02-2009, 01:45 PM
And so it is Craig,
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8224/craigsnova.jpg

I do have a question, was the wood under the boat for storage or stability?

And on a side note. This 19 must have an original trailer also.:yes:
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1568/sngsnovamarine19.jpg

Craig S
08-03-2009, 04:36 AM
And so it is Craig,

I do have a question, was the wood under the boat for storage or stability?

Yes? Seriously, I was storing stuff. Geez, my boat looks pretty good there...

vrod02
08-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Ok I'll be the Richard. Thats fine till you install the forward engine!!!:shocking:
Your gonna have to beef it up.

f_inscreenname
08-04-2009, 08:02 AM
You are only bringing up thoughts that I have already had. I’m not so worried about the weight, there’s a lot of cross members to the monster. I’ve been a little more worried about the stability. Just a couple poles hold it up from flopping over. I’m thinking that I may add some sort of bunk at some point.

f_inscreenname
08-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Going to pick up an old friend. http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/Smileys/classic/Bouncing.gif
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2357/45798335.jpg

f_inscreenname
08-06-2009, 08:54 PM

Look at this picture. Can you still say that? If you say yes then I call Bull $hit.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9700/81969846.jpg

olredalert
08-06-2009, 09:04 PM
----F,,,That is waaaaaay cQQl,,,waaaaaay cQQl!!! :cool!::cool!::cool!: .......Bill S

penbroke
08-06-2009, 09:09 PM
----F,,,That is waaaaaay cQQl,,,waaaaaay cQQl!!! :cool!::cool!::cool!: .......Bill S

What he said...x10!!

I can tell she likes her new home...

Frank :shades:
Step back non-believers or the rain will never come...

Ghost
08-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Awesome!!!

BlownCrewCab
08-07-2009, 08:47 AM
That is cool. I can't remember the last time I saw it. I think it was actually racing.. In my photo album I have a pic of it (at what is now TnT) sitting on a lift. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

f_inscreenname
08-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Hell of a birthday present man, now go get more pics!! :happy_bi: :happy_bi:

Thank you and that it is. And I got exactley what I wanted.

Here is a reprint from C/W if anyone is interested.
http://www.supernova19.com/6778a670.jpg
It sure is intimidating up on it's pedestal.
I had about 10 minutes to look at it in the light over the last two nights. This boat is sick!!!
I have to build bigger bunks for the trailer. For that matter I’m not even sure about the trailer. Backing it in the driveway (a very hard turn) I saw one of the wheels bow out. Not sure with these torsion axels if it’s supposed to do that or not? The most forward trailer roller doesn’t come within 3 inches of the keel and its welded on. I have to adjust the bow stop but that should be no big deal. All and all its just a big question mark after the first ride. The trailer does sit nice and towing it? I would haven’t even known it was back there besides the fact that I was staring in the rear view mirror the whole way thinking it was going to roll off the trailer into the middle of Mountain Road during rush hour. All I kept thinking is, “I don’t want to make the news tonight” but all was well.
As it sits in my driveway I have a 6’ tall step latter that the top is level with the transom’s deck. I’m going to need scaffolding just to paint it. When I stand inside of it, it’s so tall I can see Russia from house.
So like I said I’ve had minutes to look at it last night and then tarped it and didn’t even take it off tonight but this is what I’ve observed so far.
The boat is built the best I have ever seen a boat built hands down.
Not a single jell crack any where. 40+ years. Not sure if it was Ferd or Brownie but its near perfect.
The glass is thick and solid. I always said that I could drive my 19 trough a lesser boat and come out the other side ready to go. The 24, I could drive through that boat and the dock it sat at and still be ready to go.
The boat has no waves. Nothing, notta, not a one. The sides of this boat are smoother/straighter/cleaner then the sides of my van.
It looks to have two massive gas tanks. Big enough tanks for hundreds of gallons of fuel and they are built into the sides of the boat. I’m not sure if they are glassed in metal tanks or if they are only fiberglass. If they are glass I’m thinking I may have some issues.
Many things I do not understand what they are and how they work. Pipes, pick ups, holes that I have no clue about. I will have to shoot some pictures tomorrow.
Believe it or not but the 19 is bigger then the 24. At least in the ass. The 19 is 7’11” across at the top of the transom. The 24 is little over 7’6”. There is almost 4 inches difference.
The Vee on the 24 is only about 2 inches deeper then the 19’s (if you account for the round bottom of the 19 and the sharp Vee of the 24). Besides that the transoms are the same except the 24’s looks shallower or not so bulbous (if you can understand that).
When Jack (my son) saw it coming down the street last night the wife said he lost his breath and then started freaking out. Now boats to him are normally just something to pull him around on a tube or crab from (no chicken necks in my boat). I will be outside flushing the 454 and it sounds gooooood. Jack will walk right by with no notice. At his age I would have took a shower in the exhaust water I would have been so in love. This one got him. Wait until I start plastering big ass numbers on it.
Then there is the wife and financial advisor. Being that it makes the house look small, fills the driveway, there is no bunks, no cabin, no seats, standing room for 3 (we are a family of 4), insane gas hog, knowing buying the boat (for a lot more then we can afford but a deal I couldn’t pass) was just the beginning, no windshield, having to buy two motors a week after we took the hit for the boat because it was another deal we couldn’t pass and last but not least there is no bathroom I expected the worst. The boat is not “turn key” by a long shot for as much as we paid and you know first impressions.
Maureen has never seen it before yesterday except for a couple pictures and you have to see it in person. 6 to 8 weeks of wonder while I spent all my time and money beating the rust out of this big black trailer.
So as I pull up knowing the boat doesn’t look its best I think I need to start giving the, “you know what I can do speech” and “it wont cost that much speech” and “it will be worth it in the long run speech” as soon as I get out of the truck. I never had to say a word. The boat sold it’s self before it got to the driveway and I got the impression she was pleased with the deal. And trust me she knows where every dollar came from and how it will get put back but again, she was pleased.
And last, Maureen stopped by the boat ramp where the sunset watchers, fishing folks and beer drinkers join up for neighborhood talk and the 24 is the talk of the neighborhood. Kids asking if they can come by and look at it. Adults wanting to see it. I think tomorrow I will uncover it and get nothing done all day.
It nice that everyone has an eye on this boat. Good security but a lot of pressure.

f_inscreenname
08-08-2009, 10:00 AM
That is cool. I can't remember the last time I saw it. I think it was actually racing.. In my photo album I have a pic of it (at what is now TnT) sitting on a lift. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Any pictures you got would be very helpful returning it to original. I did discover there was a red boot stripe on an old picture just 2 days ago after looking at the picture for years. So there is still much to discover.
So any history, pictures, thophy's, drivers or owners you can dig up and send my way I will be more then willing to take them.:kingme:

BUIZILLA
08-08-2009, 10:03 AM
are the tanks part of the hull or glassed in metal tanks? E10 is NOT 'glass friendly.. very neat project..

f_inscreenname
08-08-2009, 10:29 AM
are the tanks part of the hull or glassed in metal tanks? E10 is NOT 'glass friendly.. very neat project..

I dont know yet and I know.:boggled:

f_inscreenname
08-08-2009, 12:28 PM
The trailer, while original, would concern me greatly. It is obviously built for a shallower Vee, and while it did the job in it's time, I would consider down the road a modern interpretation of it that will safely and securely transport the boat. The old trailer will be cool for local shows etc, and I would stash it at that stage (much like my original Donzi trailer I have hidden away waiting restoration for shows) but for real use a new one is in order..

When the time comes, we need to talk..

In the meantime, share a few of the older pics you have, plus the new ones I know your shooting tightass... :D :D

I'm with you on that. It's just the budget is in the red at the moment (and this family doesn't run like the US government, thank god). You will be the first I talk to when it's time. I do need something that is a set and forget trailer that's for sure. I would love for it to have a return trip to Florida one day soon. Maybe that Donzi thing you all do in the spring. :D But until this trailer proves it's self or something different comes up I don't think I will be doing it. Now the gas tanks are big enough that I could just drive it down the coast to FL but i would need a gas truck set up when I got there.:yes: And a large bag of money.

I just thought of another question. Has the boat ever raced over seas? Like that big English race. How was it shipped? Did it fly? Would be nice to know the boat has done over 300mph at 40,000 feet. Even if was on the trailer.:kingme: I'm sure it has traveled more then I have being I have never been further north then Canada (just above Maine), west the West Virgina and south of Atlanta. Don't feel bad for me though. Ive seen mountains, planes, oceans, bays and lakes. The rocky coast of Maine to the beaches of NC. Been all through the Appalachian Mountains to Washington DC.:eek:
Maryland is it's own little microcosm of the world for that matter. From west to east we have mountains, farms, big cities, largest inland bay in the world, more farms, ocean. Anything you could want in the world. Now if I can just get rid of the people.:nilly:

Pictures will come soon (today). Just have to get in the mood to go out and uncover it. It's been a very long year so far. Not complaining. It's better then it flying by but I'm tired. Real tired. It's kind of nice to just sit here and listen to the White Album.
At some point today though I have to go get the new weed wacker fired up. There is still grass to mow even with history sitting on it. And look what just showed up, the gasket set needed to fix the Monza. Well now there is work to do.

gcarter
08-08-2009, 01:23 PM
So, when will you be able to pick up all the existing drive pieces?
That's what I would be concerned about.......
The tandem setup is/was a popular piece of equipment until beefier outdrives came along.
From what I've seen, and read, it's a Vee w/a dog clutch on the front end and coupled to the front engine. They were used by Daytona and a number of other engine/drive train providers.
It's race stuff and pretty user unfriendly and unforgiving.
Most of Levi's boats used them, as well as "Ghost Rider". Ghost Rider is still in use so it and the owner may be a resource for info.
As I understand it, the boat was started w/the rear engine engaged (I can't seem to find any info if the rear engine had a tranny, but I would guess not) so that when the rear engine started, the boat would start moving. Once the boat was underway, the front engine was started and the drivers best efforts were utilized to attempt to synchronize the front dog clutch!
I would guess it would be advantageous to run only on the rear engine most of the time.
Maybe, since the funds are depleted, (I understand, so are mine) that some time is dedicated to investigating the boat thouroughly. That doesn't cost much. Neither does removing the tanks, or anything else doesn't make sense to you.
There's plenty of time next year.
You know this is going to cost multiples more than you would ever realise....:confused:

Anyway, good luck! :)

f_inscreenname
08-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I know all these things (he says sadly).
As for the drive system. Ferd did a lot of work in that area. The original "crash box" has been replaced, it uses counter rotating motors (back to back and tranny's on both. It should be simpler to operate being everything is now hydraulic. There will have to be some things I have to change unless it becomes a trailer queen going to shows. Like one thing is there is no fire walls between the motor bays and the cockpit. Lots of air but I'm not taking the chance having some one slip under the dash after a big wave. Let alone a blown oil line or flying fanbelt coming out at ya.
I hate saying this but I have no plans to even start it yet. There is still the Monza and my wallet to fix, the cover should show up this week, the replacement for the cracked motor should be here Wed. There is lots to do before there is lots to do.
As for the rest of the parts. They are in good hands. I would rather Ferd take his time and find everything then to rush and miss something no matter how small it is. The smallest thing can take you in the wrong direction.

BlownCrewCab
08-08-2009, 06:18 PM
A Lil fyi, I found my photo album. The Pic is VERY SMALL, BUT it's on a page where my Mom (who was there) has it and another 24' Listed as "The First two Nova's"..I'll have My wife scan it. Just thought you should know it was one of the first two, Kinda Cool....

f_inscreenname
08-08-2009, 09:33 PM
A Lil fyi, I found my photo album. The Pic is VERY SMALL, BUT it's on a page where my Mom (who was there) has it and another 24' Listed as "The First two Nova's"..I'll have My wife scan it. Just thought you should know it was one of the first two, Kinda Cool....

One had to come before the other. I'll take my chances.:kingme:

f_inscreenname
08-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Some pictures have been requested and I hope to please so here we go.
Here I’m standing on the top step of a six foot latter. Scary.
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6539/37089647.jpg
Standing on the bow. Come to find out the deck plates that cover the motor are so new that they have never had paint put on them (one of the reasons they are dirtier then the rest of the boat). Also the dash and the rear engine cover haven’t either.
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3268/84303015.jpg
Looking through the rudders cut out of the transom. You can see all the way to the front structure wall (about where the cabin would start). That board you are looking at is the deck of the cockpit. As you can see there is no firewalls at all from front to back. That has to change even if its just chicken wire.
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/5838/48032340.jpg
Here is one of the most interesting things of the boat. I learned many years ago before they had trim or trim tabs they used to pump water in and out of this tank to add weight to the bow. But then I’ve been told recently that in this boats case it was used to ballast the fuel load. I would love to use this space for a fuel tank but this piece is to unique to even think about taking out.
Also extra ribs for taking the big waves.
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/305/98267542.jpg
The gas tanks are those white boxes on either side of the deck. They are so big that they even hold up the seat bolsters. If I could find a better place to install new tanks I would turn them in lockers for boat stuff. That way they could still hold up the seats and give me storage.
You can see all the way to the transom. And of course there is leaves. About a big black trash bag full. A couple full shop vacs and a power wash later and it don’t look much better. But it semi clean. Spent about 6 hours on it just getting it clean enough for the new cover and finding things along the way.
I usually get a chance to take a boat apart before I start building it. That way I can settle into how I want to do it. This time I have motors over here, hull over there, drive parts over there and not a one that I took off. I keep looking at it thinking where to start. It’s August. The motors can wait until it gets cold. The garage will be warm enough until January. Do I hinge up the doors and start prepping it for paint. It has to be done before anything else. I think if I start on it in a week or two I could have it painted inside and out before the end of fall.
Anyway around it I have to come up with a plan before I do anything.
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/548/86162945.jpg
And for the Nova owners. Just to show it is an original. Even though it don’t show on the outside thanks to Ferd this is the front hatch.
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6513/83445742.jpg
And here is the cabin entrance. Again you cant see it on the outside.
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9342/62027502.jpg
A look at the transom. The two pipes together are water pick ups for the motors. The middle one I have no clue and the bottom is the outlet for the front ballast tank
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4801/39561300.jpg
As for the trailer debate. It is a 25’ thunderbird trailer and is rated for the boat. The boat looks big on it in the pictures for some reason but it dose fit nice. I think one of the reasons it sits so high on the trailer is because of the prop shaft angle. The lower arrow is the front shaft strut and the higher arrow is where the second strut goes. This prop shaft comes down at a steep angle. Add a prop to it and you need every bit of height it has. There also is a big ass rudder that has to go back there and hang down. I thinking a new trailer may be a little hard to find.
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9128/27156524.jpg

gcarter
08-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the pictures!
This structural arrangement was not that unusual for the period, i.e., the lack of safety structures like firewalls.
I agree that the removal of the ballast night not be advisable. You may find you still need it.
The fuel tanks intrigue me. How difficult does it look to remove the cockpit flooring and bolsters?
I was thinking that if the sides of these tanks could be cut open, you could have some 75 (or so) gallon tanks foamed into these spaces and have locker space over them.
Enjoy the process! :yes:

gcarter
08-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Extra water pickup cooling water for the drive?
I agree.

McGary911
08-09-2009, 11:08 AM
The guys over at HORBA may be interested in your project.

http://www.historicraceboats.com/membersboats.htm

Brownie's a board member over there.

Looks like a very special project. Judging by your Nova, you'll do a first class job with the resto.

Good luck, and look forward to your updates.

f_inscreenname
08-09-2009, 11:34 AM
The guys over at HORBA may be interested in your project.

http://www.historicraceboats.com/membersboats.htm

Brownie's a board member over there.

Looks like a very special project. Judging by your Nova, you'll do a first class job with the resto.

Good luck, and look forward to your updates.

Not sure how to join so I sent them a email.
Thanks for the info.

vrod02
08-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I think "cash awaites" should send Mark a copy!:yes: At least he would share in the nova community! Just do it, Dont respond.

A2VeeDub
08-12-2009, 09:42 AM
That boat was sitting in Germerhausen's boatyard in my community "Green Gables". Did you buy it from Ferd? I haven't been down there in a few months. If you did I am suprised. I didn't think he would ever let that thing go.

f_inscreenname
08-12-2009, 01:09 PM
That boat was sitting in Germerhausen's boatyard in my community "Green Gables". Did you buy it from Ferd? I haven't been down there in a few months. If you did I am suprised. I didn't think he would ever let that thing go.

Ya I live over by Ft Smallwood. I’ve known about that boat for years. And like M/P says there was a lot of begging and groveling and then when I was done with the wife……….:wink:
I guess all it took was getting to know Ferd over the years, building a website about the boat line and again a lot of begging and groveling.
Once he put the boat back up on the trailer he told me he was having second, 3rd, 4th thoughts about it. It looks real nice sitting on the trailer. But in the same breath he said, “it’s going to a good home and I just want to see it back on the water”
I plan on making that come true. :yes:

f_inscreenname
08-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Yesterday was bit of a busy day. When you have a Fed Ex truck like this show up you know you are getting something.
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2541/95326982d.jpg
Along with the big truck there came a smaller brown truck and a little white jeep all bringing gifts (that I had to pay for).
One of the things that came was a new boat top from Classic Accessories. With a name like that you know I had to buy it. Upon first inspection, for a $160 this thing is awesome. It's brand new off of an eBay store and that was the price. No shipping $$ or anything else. It fits very well but will need a little customizing being I don’t have a windshield and the straps would work on a normal trailer but being the boats sits so high on it a couple came up a little short but that can be fixed. But again it’s a nice top. Thick as canvas and stitched up nice. Not a bad color either. Now I won’t have to worry about the leaves that end up sitting on it until the wind blows again and replaces then with new leaves or the occasional dirty hand grabbing it. It even comes with a pole for the center. It gets an A+ for the first impression.
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/149/14020865.jpg
Now the big truck brought something else. It’s another 454 from the guy I bought the 2 motors from that one ended up having a cracked block. The motor looks good over all but I am had second thoughts about it. I haven’t got a hold of the guy yet but I was really worried about what year this motor is. If it’s to new it will have a 1 piece crank seal and that will not work with the flywheel and such thats on the other motor now. So I hit the net and before long I know my fear will come true. It is a Gen 5, 454. Or its a totally useless to me for what I need to do, 454. The sad thing is this is a complete motor from clutch fan to driveshaft yoke. At this point I would trade the whole thing for a clean Gen 4 block. :boggled:
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2096/91295592.jpg

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7687/26478459.jpg

olredalert
08-13-2009, 09:15 PM
-----F_in,,, I think the trans on that 454 is a 4L80. If the trans is a 4L80 its worth something, especially if its good. Its got value even as a core.......Bill S

f_inscreenname
08-13-2009, 09:44 PM
-----F_in,,, I think the trans on that 454 is a 4L80. If the trans is a 4L80 its worth something, especially if its good. Its got value even as a core.......Bill S

I think it is also. It could be someone's lucky day. I just want this motor mess over. It's been going on for weeks now and now I also have 3 full big blocks with trannys in my one car garage. Things are getting tight. Something has to go. :yes:

f_inscreenname
08-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Gas tanks are staying. They look a little rough on the outside but it is just light cosmetic stuff. A look inside is like looking back in time. For the 30% of each one I could see they looked perfect. Good thing to. They are part of the boat. I mean they are not just built in they are part of the boat. They are custom built to follow all the contours of the boat. Sides, bottom even inside of the outboard stringers. They are some sort of steel and then are wrapped in glass, plywood and then more glass and gel. At some point before anything happened to them someone put pipe plugs in all the fittings and sealed them up tight. I’ve got a little crud to get out that should be easy enough.
I’ve started other things. For the longest time I was lost but I’m starting to get a feel for this project. I built the missing center piece of what Brownie called the “fish press”. Got the dash all bolted up to the hull. I also got the front door’s frame all installed. Now I just need hinges for all the doors/hatches and a boat load of SS nuts, bolts and screws.

Donzi_Dude
08-16-2009, 11:46 AM
you sure do seem to have your share of engine problems.

great boat none the less, best of luck getting it going. looks to be a lot of work and money ahead.

:beer:

vrod02
08-18-2009, 06:21 PM
No Fe side oilers up Northeast? Man theres a ton around here, Il. oil pumps. Donzi Dork, at least he know what hes got.

Donzi_Dude
08-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Donzi Dork

hee,hee,

your funny!

:jestera:

f_inscreenname
08-18-2009, 07:15 PM
No Fe side oilers up Northeast? Man theres a ton around here, Il. oil pumps. Donzi Dork, at least he know what hes got.

To be honest, who wants it? Look in a Jegs mag. To do the things I did to the 454 in the 19 now, I would still be paying for the parts if it was a Ford or even worse, a Chrysler. You have to look at availability and reliability. 454 parts are in every book you pick up. Add in that if you don’t try to get 500+ hp out of them they are pretty tame and not ready to blow up. I like the idea of twin blower motor ready to explode or go like a SOB but I don’t like the idea of one ride a season. I’m going to use this boat and for that to happen I cant sink every buck I have into motor work consistently. There’s big gas tanks to feed for that. :wink:

BlownCrewCab
08-18-2009, 09:13 PM
The built 454's of today would whip the side oilers of yester year. we used to spin a 468 (bored out 454) 5500-6000+rpm for an hour+ at a time. We didn't buy high dollar cranks (we did use good rods though) Balance it good and you should be fine. when I worked at cougar we built a boat for Ross Perot, he had his own motor builder there, I watched that guy spin a big block chevy 8k+rpm in neutral, he said you balance it right. that was back in the 80's.

vrod02
08-18-2009, 09:46 PM
just thinkin original thats all.

Ghost
08-18-2009, 09:55 PM
You thinkin' 2 x 420HP, or closer to 500 each? (Or other?)

BTW, did it come with any props, or do you know anything about the original prop choices? I'm curious about both the diameter and pitch for a setup like that, with all that HP on one shaft.

f_inscreenname
08-19-2009, 08:26 AM
I can dig the originality of the whole thing but that can happen in the future as time and/if money allows. My main goal is the looks, cause if it don’t look like the race boat it wont matter what it has in it. Then it’s getting it going. Again this boat is not going to be a trailer queen. I’m sure it has less hours on it now then some 2009 boats but that’s going to change.
As for props. I know I sound like a broken record but Ferd has it. When I see it I will let you know. From what I understand it’s not as big as you would think it is.
I’m thinking 400/420hp motors. 800+ hp to push around a empty 24 hull should get out of it’s own way. What it does from there is any one’s guess.
Being I have a Gen 5 motor to get rid of and two motors to build they are on hold for now. You know anyone who needs a Gen5, 454 from driveshaft to rat fan let me know.
Here’s a historical dilemma. If you look in the picture of Brownie driving it, look at the fish press (fish box). There is a hinge missing on one of the doors. I thought when I fixed the picture I cloned it out but I was wrong. The hinge is still missing and it looks like it always has been. The doors were screwed down before because the exhaust risers came up so high they had to grind out the underside of the doors and bow them over the risers and screw them down. Now that I’m not using the same exhaust they can actually work.
Should I put the hinge back?

gcarter
08-19-2009, 09:58 AM

Yes, make it work.
These boats (of that era, with that setup) were good for about 80 MPH w/1200 HP. I'm talking about twin turbo Daytonas......
If you get this boat to 70 you'll be doing great. Probably more like about 65.
The props for these boats were simple. They were nothing like the development programs there're today. It's probably as simple as the most reduction you can get in the V-drive, coupled w/ the largest diameter that will fit w/ the minimum of practical blade edge clearance (20% of diameter, min.) and a pitch good for 70 MPH and 15% slip. Three blade probably.......

Ghost
08-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Now that I’m not using the same exhaust they can actually work. Should I put the hinge back?

I would.

BlownCrewCab
08-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Hmmnn, you may be able to pull up 30+ skiers at a time with that kind of power:yes: I'm sure prop technology has come a Looong way and you'll get 1969 twin turbo speed with 1990+ N/A 454's

vrod02
08-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey not wanting a debate but why not small blocks? Like 383's.I was thinkin hp to weight to single screw. I'm sure you've thought about this . Once again just thinking out loud

f_inscreenname
08-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Hey not wanting a debate but why not small blocks? Like 383's.I was thinkin hp to weight to single screw. I'm sure you've thought about this . Once again just thinking out loud

Just for that reason I have double thought that but the 454's are sitting in the garage. Also I have been told a lot that you run one motor most of the time and a small block would not work for that.

Starting to look like the boat it is.
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2528/21820311.jpg

gcarter
08-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Some thoughts on these late '60's, early '70's race boats w/tandem engine setup...
Of course the whole idea of the tandem setup is to reduce parasite drag...i.e., one shaft, strut, etc, instead of two.
Also the idea of multiple engines on a single shaft is nothing new. During WW-II, run-of-the-mill marine engines were pretty limited in available power, probably 85-120 HP, diesel engines...ditto.
To overcome this limitation, gearbox mfgr's developed transmissions w/as many as six engine inputs w/one output shaft. Instead of using the throttle to control the boat speed, the number of engines running controlled the speed. The engines were connected using over-center clutches (you know, the typical industrial stationary engine clutch) so that they could be engaged and disengaged on the fly. In most cases, remote hydraulic cylinders were used for that function.
This boat and the other boats like it used dog clutches for engine engagement. I'm glad to hear Ferd converted them to hydraulic transmissions. Of course, those trransmissions make the drive train longer, but the all around driveability should be much improved.
I don't know the exact number of boats built using this tandem setup but there weren't very many. Most, but not all of Levi's boats had them, Ghost Rider had it, some other Btitish and Italian boats, and of course, this Nova.
One of the downsides to the design is it puts a lot of weight up forward and can make a short boat kind of a handful to drive.
On the longer boats over 30', it's not much of an issue, but the 28' "Ghost Rider" and the "Delta 28" were never able to utilize their potential. So, I can imagine this 24' boat would be challenging to say the least.
You can well imagine that 1,000-1,200 HP on a steep shaft angle like you see on this boat coupled w/a long longitudinal weight distribution would make for some interesting handling issues.
Just remember, you're not racing :wink::wink:
and you don't have anything to prove.

gcarter
08-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Cough cough,err, bullhockey :D :D :D

OK, OK, I'll add a "Wink" imoticon......

f_inscreenname
08-20-2009, 01:38 PM
If it does what the 19 can do then it's all set in my book. :nilly:
:kingme:

Thanks for the heads up GC.
I really cant wait to get it out on the water and see what its got and how it is. I kind of hoping it does make driving a little more interesting. And why not, this ain't no cabin cruiser. Hell, not even having seats you would have to want to "go ride'n" before you would even get on board.

BlownCrewCab
08-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Totally different boat but a good point on georges post about the boat being too short for that much power, at Performer we took a 24' Harry Shoel hull and put twin staggered 540's with #4 drives on extension boxes. This boat had ALL The weight in the rear and Wayyyy more power than it could ever use. It had 24x24 trim tabs that we had to leave most of the way down or it porpoised like crazy to the point where around 80-90+mph it would jump out of the water like it was jumping wakes. the fastest we ever went was 114 but still had the tabs down and a bunch of speed left. I guess we'll have to ask Brownie how fast your boat went and how it handled. but I think you you can make it faster with todays technology..

f_inscreenname
08-20-2009, 02:26 PM
I guess we'll have to ask Brownie how fast your boat went and how it handled. but I think you you can make it faster with todays technology..

I also want to know how much water was in the front tank when he first took off. The water pick up is to far forward to pick up anything when the boat is on a plain. Did he want the boat flat, bow heavy, light..?
FYI - From the marks and holes on the hull this boat has enormous tabs.
Don't everyone get to excited. My abilities limits me on the motors I can build anyway. My wallet also is limited unless some one wants to send me a couple master rebuild kits, heads, intakes, carbs, cams, header exhausts and maybe a couple 4 bolt blocks I should be good for the rest.:kingme:

BlownCrewCab
08-20-2009, 08:42 PM
We (I anyway) don't expect it to be the same as it was, I expect your going to do it to the best of your abilitys and budget and your gonna have a friggin ball, and everytime you nail the throttle your going to smile really Big and think to yourself C'mon B!tch, Make Poppa a sammich...and we'll all be proud of you for doing what you did.:yes:

gcarter
08-21-2009, 08:08 PM
I thought Ghost Rider had the same drive system your boat has, but on closer inspection, it doesn't. It has twin V-drives like the Bertram Moppies.
http://www.classicoffshore.com/pages/history/ghostrider.htm

Here's some details of two of Levi's boats that I'd posted elsewhere. First, there's Surfury, also a Cowes Torquay winner but 30' +.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46150&d=1242912410

Next, Delta 28, much closer to the size of your boat:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46153&d=1242912449

I just noticed in both boats, the rear engine appears to have transmissions. I hadn't really noticed that before.
Also, Levi used outboard rudders and props. Brownie probably found keeping them in the confines of the hull was less expensive.

f_inscreenname
08-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey thanks for the info GC. I’m saving it to my PC now.
A couple quotes that jumped out at me.
“and the bow tank not filling properly so she was purposing quite noticeably”
And “the first to feel the strain of the high speed was Delta who stopped with a loose ballast tank pipe resulting in her erratic, unstable porpoising and chine dancing due to the incredible power of her twin Daytona’s through her single prop.”
I’m glad to see some of my intuitions are not unfounded. I’m already getting a feel for this boat. Just standing in the cockpit looking down the bow I can feel it I motion (and it‘s not from sanding it for the last 6 days either). It going to be a monster but I know it will bring me home, well at least the hull will. My 19 has taught me that and the 19 is just a cut off version of the 24. The last cat 1 hurricane we had here, if I had somewhere to go I would have went with the 19. Most of the neighborhood thinks I only go out when it is bad weather just because I have little fear of what the bay can throw at it. A very sad story, a micro burst came up the river flipping a water taxi and killed 6 people. I got hit about 4 minutes later. I put my life preserver on and slowed down….some. Brownie spun this 24 at 70+mph. No damage except to him. The reason I mention this is because more the half the issues where people get into trouble is because of what they are driving. Not having that issue is a plus. Now it’s up to my restraint and common sense to keep it in the water
Speaking of Brownie. It may not have been money issue (but it could have been) keeping that set up from hanging off the 24’s transom. Brownie is a purest. He hated outdrives with a passion. I’m sure outboards were a close second. I think he would have skipped over it just because.
There is a big difference in spacing though. There is less then 3 feet between the motor in the picture. I bet there’s 6+ between the 24’s motors.

gcarter
08-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Here's a few pictures from the Surfury web site.....
There's a bit of detail of the drive and a lot of the turbos. Also, not many of us have seen any of these engines. They're pretty neat.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49686&stc=1&d=1250955243

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49687&stc=1&d=1250955243

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49688&stc=1&d=1250955243

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49689&stc=1&d=1250955243

Also, if you look at the tabs on the picture of the transom, they appear to be convex on the bottom much like the Arnison rocker planes.
I hope the Brits can raise some money to restore this boat. It's really starting to look its 40 plus years.

f_inscreenname
08-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I hope the Brits can raise some money to restore this boat. It's really starting to look its 40 plus years.

You know it kills me to see boats like this just waisting away. When there is folks like me that would give their left nut for them but owners just want to say that they still own them while it sits in the weeds rotting away.
You would think there would be a bigger push now more then ever to recycle them now that everyone is going green. Clean up the environment, save them from using up landfill space and most of all, what it takes to make a new boat (oil, waste, energy, shipping). I re-did the Monza and used one 35gal trash bag the whole time. The rest went into the recycle bins. I could go on and on about this. It just seems insane. There is 1000's of them filling backyards, marinas and waterways all over the place just waiting for someone to haul it away and for the most part for very little money if any. Now think of that. You start at zero or a couple hundred bucks. Thats a whole cheaper then a down payment on something new. The only reason it fails is because people think they buy a hundred dollar boat they only expect to put a hundred into it. If you look at it realistically and budget accordingly it's a whole lot cheaper in the long run.

Just like Ghost Rider you will see the 24 at some shows someday. Maybe not as big as the NY boat show but there's always St Michaels. Then people will stand there and drool and wish they could have something like it while they make there payment on the 2 year old boat that gets used 5 times a year. If they only knew that they could and most of the time for a lot less then the payments they are making now and for years to come.:confused:
Even if they are unable or cant take the time to do it. There is a lot of companies that will take a 20, 30, 40+ year old boat, redo everything and you can buy it like new with a warranty and then you can make payments on it.

gcarter
08-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Fortunately, Surfury isn't exactly sitting in the weeds. It's in the British National Maritime Museum, but they don't necessarily want it. Also, it's a 40+ year old wood (cold molded) boat and it really needs some attention. There'd probably be hell to pay if some wealthy American wanted to restore it and bring it here. :nilly::yes:
Although I'd go see it if they did.
I'd go see your 24 too.

f_inscreenname
08-23-2009, 09:22 PM
After half the weekend being rained out I still got done a lot and on schedule for paint next weekend.
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3190/67755770.jpg
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6415/61812282.jpg
The fish press is all back together.
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/8207/81095781.jpg
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2029/49258863.jpg
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3193/19222905.jpg
I'll cut the new exhaust when the motor is in. It was just to high before to work for what I'm doing.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5875/62669499.jpg

f_inscreenname
08-30-2009, 10:56 AM
By the time I took this picture it was 9pm (the camera is on night setting). It’s dark except for the lights I rigged up. I finished the boat deck about an hour and a half ago and the things sitting on the bench about 20 minutes ago. The paint I'm using is dry to the touch and ready to recoat in 20 minutes but takes a full hour to cure. This picture is taken about 10 minutes before it rained for about an hour. I’m not sure what I will find today. I hope it’s not to bad.
http://www.supernova19.com/6a28abc0.jpg

realbold
09-01-2009, 02:34 PM
What kind of paint is it? You spray in direct sunlight? What about the bugs and dust?

f_inscreenname
09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Kirker Brand, most of the day was over cast and then there is the trees and house to block direct sun for the most part. Dust and bugs, there was a little but for the most part it was a calm and bug free day. That’s also what 1000grit sand paper and compound is for, working the bugs out. My garage isn’t big enough for my tow vehicle. A 24’ boat…… now you see why I call myself a backyarder. Or in this case a sideyarder.
No one will even paint a boat around here unless you got 10 grand to start and there isn’t a chance I would pay that kind of money to have someone shoot white paint. So there is only me left to do it.

realbold
09-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Never heard of Kirker brand. Is it a 2 part urethane?

f_inscreenname
09-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Real user friendly paint and not bad on the wallet either.
http://www.kirkerautomotive.com/index.html

I have to get the seat bolster back in before I can get the rear motor cover installed (they kind of go together).
This is fitting for the side panels.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5030/60535712.jpg

A2VeeDub
09-02-2009, 08:00 AM
What kind of paint is it? You spray in direct sunlight? What about the bugs and dust?

Thats the way we do things in Pasadena. When you can't find a sawhorse you use the Recycle Bin or whatever else you find too.

f_inscreenname
09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
The saw horses are holding up to motor cover out in the side yard.
I am so The Dena.:kingme:

zelatore
09-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Thats the way we do things in Pasadena. When you can't find a sawhorse you use the Recycle Bin or whatever else you find too.

You don't want to know what my trash/yard/recycle bins look like....I'm surprised there have't been complaints from the trash collectors. :nilly:

realbold
09-02-2009, 05:55 PM
One of the sole panels is sitting on trash cans in front of the garage now. Got tired of moving the horses in and out. Parts are outside for sanding/grinding and in for glass work.

f_inscreenname
09-03-2009, 08:00 AM
I guess I need to add this.
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/9990/80416837.jpg

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1377/92092007.jpg

PS, Something should happen today that will change everything when it comes to this project.

mrfixxall
09-03-2009, 03:16 PM
I can dig the originality of the whole thing but that can happen in the future as time and/if money allows. My main goal is the looks, cause if it don’t look like the race boat it wont matter what it has in it. Then it’s getting it going. Again this boat is not going to be a trailer queen. I’m sure it has less hours on it now then some 2009 boats but that’s going to change.
As for props. I know I sound like a broken record but Ferd has it. When I see it I will let you know. From what I understand it’s not as big as you would think it is.
I’m thinking 400/420hp motors. 800+ hp to push around a empty 24 hull should get out of it’s own way. What it does from there is any one’s guess.
Being I have a Gen 5 motor to get rid of and two motors to build they are on hold for now. You know anyone who needs a Gen5, 454 from driveshaft to rat fan let me know.
Here’s a historical dilemma. If you look in the picture of Brownie driving it, look at the fish press (fish box). There is a hinge missing on one of the doors. I thought when I fixed the picture I cloned it out but I was wrong. The hinge is still missing and it looks like it always has been. The doors were screwed down before because the exhaust risers came up so high they had to grind out the underside of the doors and bow them over the risers and screw them down. Now that I’m not using the same exhaust they can actually work.

I have 2 gen 6 454,s,glm alunimum exhaust manifolds, risers,3'' blocks,6'' blocks,merc motor mounts yadda yadda yadda..

f_inscreenname
09-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I have 2 gen 6 454,s,glm alunimum exhaust manifolds, risers,3'' blocks,6'' blocks,merc motor mounts yadda yadda yadda..

Yaaaa ........... and how many of my kids do you want for them? :boggled:

f_inscreenname
09-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Here's a defining moment.
Like the signature says, It's Not About Being Noticed. It's About Being Remembered.

http://www.supernova19.com/6ab8ae80.jpg

BlownCrewCab
09-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Dang it!!!! When Brownies Dad died a few years back I went to Indiana for the funeral, In the basement of Grandpa's house I found Several Brand new Original Nova Marine Stickers. Also Pictures that Brownie Had sent him over the years of his racing career. There where some Cousins and uncles there that (I'd Guess) Kept that stuff, But If I knew you was gonna do what your doing you would have Originals......

penbroke
09-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Here's a defining moment.
Like the signature says, It's Not About Being Noticed. It's About Being Remembered.

http://www.supernova19.com/6ab8ae80.jpg

Sweeeet!

Frank

f_inscreenname
09-09-2009, 08:18 PM
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2421/89682198.jpg
Things seem at a stand still on the outside but on the inside……..
I added a $35 can of white to 3 cans of the blue epoxy paint I got for 5 bucks a can at Home Depot. With my nice Miami in the 60’s color I started at the nose and after 2 nights I’m back to the cockpit so far. Last night I came out looking like a Smurf. Tonight not as bad but it started a light rain at the end. I hope it stays dry enough for it to set up. If not I have more. At current rate of use it should be about 3 gallons to finish it all. That leaves a gallon of this color left over and I still have a gallon of the dark blue in case I want to do the bottom bilge with it.
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2645/50501115.jpg
I also went to Ferd’s tonight just to pick up a couple things.
First, Ghost, the prop is a 20P.
OK. There is vee drive box, prop shaft , prop, rudder (massive, maybe 40 lbs), two motor drive shafts (1 missing a piece where it bolts the transmission), Vee drive mounting bracket, parts of motor mounts (Ferd has something for a another customer I need but I forget what it’s called. it’s a tube that wraps around the front of the motor with two flat pads at each end that bolts to the motor in place of the mounts. It also has ears that come off the sides so you can bolt it to the stringer), Rudder box, couple massive strainers, 10,000 little parts and then there is these……
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6100/44247187.jpg
This is one of two massive ass trim tabs. I could pick up the boat with the one cylinder. From what I understand these belong on a airplane. Someone must have had a airplane connection. The trailer bearings and now these.
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9027/11798093.jpg
And here is the second of two issues (the first is a missing prop shaft strut but Ferd is still looking). As you saw in the last picture the Vee drive is apart. The reason is one of the gears has a broken tooth. Vee drives are new to me. I guess you can say I am a Vee Drive Virgin but I have no clue where to look for this gear and don’t want to jump in when I’m sure someone knows where to go.
It’s out of a Casale. The best I can make out is C. 12.67 37T. 1.03 R.H. Any help would be appreciated.

f_inscreenname
09-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Looks to be still available..

Third pic on the right, second row.. (http://www.casalev-drive.com/literature.html)

Thanks, they are close but not the same. At least some are still available. Thats a plus.:)

f_inscreenname
09-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Thought you all would get a kick out of this.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3339/58762349.jpg

Sadly someone tried to lift the boat with the one that's stamped Donzi Marine and it's bent. It could be fixed but the cost of doing that and having it re chromed is just not cost effective.

olredalert
09-12-2009, 09:08 AM
------Im almost posative that this cleat was made by "Algonac Cast Products" here in Algonac MI. I had the very same piece on my El P and bought a new one from them about five years ago. It will be cheaper to buy a new one than to get yours chromed. It was for me! They are as close as information, but generally dont sell retail. Your best approach is to explain your problem and E-mail a pic and very nicely beg them if you have to. :crossfing: ........Mr.Bill

smidgen too
09-12-2009, 11:33 AM
------Im almost posative that this cleat was made by "Algonac Cast Products" here in Algonac MI. I had the very same piece on my El P and bought a new one from them about five years ago. It will be cheaper to buy a new one than to get yours chromed. It was for me! They are as close as information, but generally dont sell retail. Your best approach is to explain your problem and E-mail a pic and very nicely beg them if you have to. :crossfing: ........Mr.Bill
Bill that looks like the same one thats used on my 29' Mirage & 27' Magnum.. :cool!:

Conquistador_del_mar
09-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Bill that looks like the same one thats used on my 29' Mirage & 27' Magnum.. :cool!:

I just looked at the one off my 27' Magnum this afternoon which is very similar, but different. The cleat and eye part looks the same, but the base is round instead of rectangular and has a female threaded hole to accept the rod. There are only two holes to screw the lifting eye/cleat to the deck. Bill

penbroke
09-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Thought you all would get a kick out of this.
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3339/58762349.jpg
Sadly someone tried to lift the boat with the one that's stamped Donzi Marine and it's bent. It could be fixed but the cost of doing that and having it re chromed is just not cost effective.

If you throw it away, throw it my way...:wink:

Frank

f_inscreenname
09-13-2009, 09:03 AM
These in your collection of parts??

No the gas cap covers are long gone. For that matter Ferd never got them to begin with.
This picture does prove some of he was talking about. All the openings that are part of a normal 24 were originally covered up with plywood. Plywood dash and the compass pedestals are just boxes. With everything made out of molded glass now makes it a whole lot nicer. I guess the lack of any use for the last 27 years and the removal and replacement of the temporary plywood with molded glass has made this boat last a lot longer then the two years that Brownie expected.
And this brings me to another issue. First the picture shows 2 as vents for this side. Ferd did say the tanks were bigger when he got it and then he replaced them with the latest and greatest, brand new fiberglass tanks. These tanks have had not so much as a drop of gas in them ever and yet they have to be taken out. Major set back.
The rub rail has been changed at some point. The one that’s standing up besides the house now are much bigger and more user friendly.
And there is the beginning of the hand rail that nothing is left of. Hummm……

If you throw it away, throw it my way...:wink:
Frank

Sorry but it will be going in my collection of broken and bent parts behind the bar.:wink: Nice conversation starters.

I think I may need to change some of these motor, trans mounts. I really want off shore motor mounts at least. The rest may be salavagable.
A couple piles of motor mounts to figure out. http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/Smileys/classic/uglystupid2.gif

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1552/67283811.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1552/67283811.jpg)

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9320/90606654.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9320/90606654.jpg)

Ghost
09-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Kinda has that Erector Set look...

f_inscreenname
09-22-2009, 07:33 PM
What do you all think about outboards on this thing?:mad:

Donzi_Dude
09-22-2009, 08:45 PM
AWSOME pic Poodle!

do you know the wearabouts of the actual photo?

penbroke
09-22-2009, 08:48 PM
...But this picture would always haunt you.....

What a great shot!

Frank

BlownCrewCab
09-22-2009, 08:52 PM
AWSOME pic Poodle!

do you know the wearabouts of the actual photo?

It says Nassau on the Pic HTML when you open it, that must be where it is. I Believe Brownie won the Miami-Nassau Race with that Boat.

Or if your wondering about Where the actual Pic is, Probably in Brownies Scrapbook, which he says he just found and that thing is Thick and has all the coolest/Oldest boat/race pics Ever...

f_inscreenname
09-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Talked to Andy Casale today. Somewhere around $3500 to fix the V drive by his phone estimate. Like I told M/P, it's just 2 gears on 2 shafts, 3 bearings, 3 seals (seals and bearing have to be replaced also) and a case and yet you would think they were made of gold. That would be more then both motors and trans cost for the boat. I cant afford it and will not be able to for a long long time. :confused:
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6163/69591751.jpg

f_inscreenname
09-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Oh, and nice pic M/P.

BUIZILLA
09-22-2009, 09:53 PM
that's Twin Disc money... :bonk: :nilly: :nilly:

I had this Company make me some gears a few years back and they did a bang up nice job, I'm SURE they could duplicate them, really good workmanship...

Southern Gear & Machine Inc in Miami, FL - MapQuest Yellow Pages (http://yellowpages.mapquest.com/business/fl/miami/Southern-Gear-a-Machine-Inc/0-103063460/?query=southern%20gear&icid=oneclick_mapquestyp&invocationType=oneClick.freelisting&flv=1)

f_inscreenname
09-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Go to be someone who can make that gear, 3500 is stupid...

Can you substitute a different drive??

As long as it can be driven on the same shaft from the front and back side. It would be a major pain being that everything is set up for this one or it's type though.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2615/68284513.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6003/64493525.jpg

A2VeeDub
09-23-2009, 07:09 AM
You can try gischel machine shop. They manufacture gears for industry and rebuild a lot of heavy duty gear boxes. Not sure if they can make stuff to the strength you're going to need, but it would be worth a try, considering they are right up the street from you in Energy Parkway.

We use them for all of the gear boxes in our plant.

http://www.gischel.com/

f_inscreenname
09-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Emails sent to all. thanks

f_inscreenname
09-28-2009, 02:38 PM
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6163/69591751.jpg

What is the difference between these two bearings? One is closed (at the top) and the other is open (bottom). Besides that they are both the same size inside, outside and in the width. Is there any reason I cant used a closed bearing in both?

MOP
09-28-2009, 04:12 PM
They are running in an oil bath no need for closed, in fact they may not do as well long term. Get the number off the race you can find the correct replacements.

f_inscreenname
09-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Casale builds their new v drives (same brand) the same way. Closed and open. I got the # off of the closed bearing. The problem is it is a SKF 5308. If you search them you come up with about 300 of them, all different sizes. The only ones I can find in the size I measured (fingers crossed) are the closed double roller bearings.

BlownCrewCab
09-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Does that V Drive resemble the one used in the 19's???. If so I know where you can get one:shades:

MOP
09-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Casale builds their new v drives (same brand) the same way. Closed and open. I got the # off of the closed bearing. The problem is it is a SKF 5308. If you search them you come up with about 300 of them, all different sizes. The only ones I can find in the size I measured (fingers crossed) are the closed double roller bearings.

Get a decent caliper so you get spot on measurements, there are thousand of suppliers. But I think the company should have them but may be tad higher priced but may save time.

Phil

f_inscreenname
09-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Get a decent caliper so you get spot on measurements, there are thousand of suppliers. But I think the company should have them but may be tad higher priced but may save time.

Phil

I got one and this one is the right size. But again it's closed and i cant find one that is not.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5308-2RS-Sealed-Ball-Bearings-40-x-90-mm-40x90-NEW_W0QQitemZ120463691715QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item1c0c320fc3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

gcarter
09-28-2009, 08:36 PM
They are running in an oil bath no need for closed, in fact they may not do as well long term. Get the number off the race you can find the correct replacements.
Phil, the top one is sealed (perhaps) because it's above the oil level (clearly marked) and it could be that even though the gears are moving a lot of oil around the inside, that location doesn't get a lot of splash.
Who knows?

BlownCrewCab
09-28-2009, 08:55 PM
You can easily take the seals out..In some cases the inner race and outer race has been ground to accept the seal, but it doesnt mean it will fall apart without it. it'll function the same as a non-sealed bearing.

f_inscreenname
09-28-2009, 09:29 PM
You can easily take the seals out..In some cases the inner race and outer race has been ground to accept the seal, but it doesnt mean it will fall apart without it. it'll function the same as a non-sealed bearing.

That's what my next question was. Thanks!

Donzi_Dude
09-30-2009, 10:21 AM
lots of times we take the seals out to repack the bearings and put them back in.

no need in this case.

f_inscreenname
09-30-2009, 11:23 AM
The funny thing is I found a number on the other bearing last night. It is the same number that’s on the first (sealed) bearing. I also pulled the sealed part of one of the sealed bearings. It has little forks that hold the bearings apart. Hope the new ones are not like that.

BlownCrewCab
09-30-2009, 07:31 PM

Are the ones you need double row? Unsealed on both sides? How many do you need? I Have 2 SKF's that are sealed on both sides. I have 2 MRC's that are sealed on 1 side. Whachu Need?

f_inscreenname
09-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Are the ones you need double row?
yes

Unsealed on both sides?
2 are sealed on both sides, 2 are open on both sides but they back up plates so its not like fluid could pass thru.

How many do you need?
2 open and 2 closed

Whachu Need?
As long as they are this big I will take what you got.:yes:
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu347/bobhill5/5200-2RS.jpg?t=1251058721

d=40mm1.5748"
D=90mm3.5433"
W=36.5mm 1-7/16" or 1.437"

BlownCrewCab
10-01-2009, 10:52 AM
The MRC's Match those measurements exactly, I'll have to go check the SKF's.......

f_inscreenname
10-01-2009, 06:38 PM
The MRC's Match those measurements exactly, I'll have to go check the SKF's.......

I'm holding.

By the way, anyone see the vinyl decal guy?:confused:

BlownCrewCab
10-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Send me your Address to michael.brown@timken.com You should have them Monday or Tuesday. Need any seals, Keys? (woodruff or cubed)..

Hows the Strut search coming?

f_inscreenname
10-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Send me your Address to michael.brown@timken.com You should have them Monday or Tuesday. Need any seals, Keys? (woodruff or cubed)..

Hows the Strut search coming?

I do need seals but again I have no clue of the number. I've been kind of afraid of beating one out but I guess it's time. I'll do it when I get home tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

No luck on the missing whip strut yet. :confused:

gcarter
10-01-2009, 09:55 PM
There're folks that'll make you any strut you want.

f_inscreenname
10-02-2009, 08:00 AM
If that’s a Nova19’s ( I have no clue what a 19’s look like) they are way too small. This is the second strut that’s closer to the prop. It’s about 8” long at the shaft and base. Hangs down about 8 to 10 inches.

Ghost
10-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Is the strut you seek is the same as the standard Nova 19 strut? Seems like it might potentially be totally different. (Because I thought the 19's strut, like the 24's struts, had an integrated water pickup on the leading edge, and you have a wholly separate water pickup for your engines and ballast, right?)

Just thinking out loud. If I'm off base, I'll but right out.

f_inscreenname
10-02-2009, 09:15 AM
I have no comparison but I think you may be right about the pick up in the strut. The water pick up on the transom is for the ballast tank and motors. I thought maybe that there was another line that may have broken off of it but the more I think about it I don’t think that is right now. It must come from the strut.
G is yours like that?

Ghost
10-02-2009, 09:31 AM
I have no comparison but I think you may be right about the pick up in the strut. The water pick up on the transom is for the ballast tank and motors. I thought maybe that there was another line that may have broken off of it but the more I think about it I don’t think that is right now. It must come from the strut.
G is yours like that?

Mine is not--in the restoration they installed two commonplace cooling-water intake ports (and replaced the old struts altogether I think). Dunno why, but they did. I know from looking at some other 24s on Chinewalking that they still have the original struts, and you can see the cooling water lines coming from the inboard side of the strut fixtures.

BlownCrewCab
10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
You will have 4 of those (and some other stuff :) ) Tuesday.

f_inscreenname
10-03-2009, 08:06 PM
You will have 4 of those (and some other stuff :) ) Tuesday.

SWEET! http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/Smileys/classic/excited.gif (javascript:void(0);)

f_inscreenname
10-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Need some help
First what is the outlet for in I guess it’s a stuffing box?
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6476/52948464.jpg
Now on to the strut.
What I need to know is what is the angle and how much drop do I need?
The little black marks on the shaft is inches. Between the red arrows is where the struts bearing rode on the shaft. The blue/green marks are where I used a T square off of the hull to mark the shaft straight down from the ends of the base that bolts to the hull.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8094/33761401.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1689/38596121.jpg

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6646/29849147.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4527/55935246.jpg

f_inscreenname
10-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Cooling water for the strut..

As for the "stuffing box" (I'm calling it that for now) I'm not sure if it's input or output? Aren't these things supposed to drip or something?
I feel so stupid about this. It's one of simplest forms of spinning a prop in the water but yet it is as alien to me as flying the space shuttle.

I also must give prop's where prop's are due.
Mike (BlownCrewCab) totally f_in hooked me up on the right bearings for the V drive and a couple other much needed things. YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! :nilly:

zelatore
10-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Well, if it was a dripless stuffing box I'd know that fitting was for a raw water supply to keep the seal cool. But I don't recall seeing those fittings on standard packing glands.

Yes, a standard packing should drip slowly - the water keeps them from overheating.

And yes, while you've got the thing apart it would be worth looking into a dripless packing!

I've used these with good results on both new and retrofit jobs:

http://www.shaftseal.com/categories

BlownCrewCab
10-08-2009, 06:54 PM
On some of the last Big Inboard Boats I worked on they had dripless that where 2 Machined smooth spring loaded pieces, one mounted in the hose from the stuffing box (That is correct BTW) and the other is firmly mounted to the shaft, it's machined smooth surfaces that seals it, and it had one of those water feed hoses to cool it while underway, IIRC the small cooling hose came after the water pump so it has positive pressure thus reducing friction kinda like the bearings in your motor. Thanks for the "props", No Problem....

Very similar to the ones in the link from Zelatore, (now that I looked at it)

Ghost
10-08-2009, 07:35 PM
I've used these with good results on both new and retrofit jobs:

http://www.shaftseal.com/categories

These are what I have--so far so good.

silverghost
10-20-2009, 07:35 PM
The stuffing (packing) box you have pictured was pretty standard on inboard race boats.
This packing gland nut uses the old style waxed flax square packing rope.
The old style waxed flax packing needs some water to lubricate & cool it.
The fitting is for spraying cooling water from the engine cooling water pump in small amounts to keep the packing wet & cool.
In slower inboard boats there is usually no real need for this extra cooling water and thus you won't see any extra water fitting.
However in a race boat you have to remember that the hull is often jumping out of the water & the high forward speed keeps the sea water from contacting the packing to properly cool it.
I would keep this shaft packing gland set-up as it is original.
Folks often complain about alot of water dripping in with this old style set-up~
BUT~
If you install two or three new rings of flax packing and adjust it's gland nut for about one drip every 45 -60 seconds or so you should be OK !
Only install single complete rings of packing cut on a long angle for the ends to overlap at an angle.
The wax in the waxed flax packing itself will soon seal this splice joint !
Do not use coated synthethic or Teflon packing as it is not good on a high speed boat and will heat-up!
I have had inboard speed boats with your packing gland nut set-up for 40 + years.
I adjust mine once early each boating season & forget it!
They work very well.
Replace the packing every 4-5 years depending on use.
Since you have a very rare and historic race boat from a famous builder; who raced this boat himself I would encourage you to not make any changes to it if you don't really need to do so!
The long term value in this boat is in keepng it as original as possible like in the days it was raced!
After all you would not Hot-Rod or Resto-Mod an original 289 Shelby Cobra would you?
Such an original Shelby Cobra just sold for $400K at the Barrett-Jackson auction !
Early rare wood race boats with true race history are starting to sell for similar money.
My prediction~
Some day your boat will be in this collectable status !.
BUT ONLY~
If you keep it original as it was when it was raced in it's day!
Keep a sharp eye out for a pair of side-oiler big blocks !
OR~
similar less costly center-oiler engines!
What a GREAT PROJECT !
GOOD LUCK !

silverghost
10-21-2009, 10:47 AM
In Ocean City NJ in the 70s "Uncle" Jack Thompson of Thompson Boatworks had an old wooden unlimited Hydroplane where the driver sat in the back that was powered by twin Chrysler Hemi s similar to your original engine set-up !
The twin-linked engine idea has been around for a long time!
Gar Wood once used 4 packard V12 engines in one of his Miss America boats.
He called it his "Power Packed Concept"!
There are many famous photos of this monster on the web!
I have seen twin & quadruple WW I Liberty aircraft engines used in one hull also !
Jack's old Unlimited Hydro had a custom machined gearbox in it to get the power to the two blade SS prop!
He claimed it was the fastest boat in South Jersey !
It once successfully raced among Allison & Rolls~Royce Merlin V12 fighter plane engined hydros!
Jack bought it used after the race team was finished with it !
When he owned her the boat was painted bright red with a wooden airplane style rudder wing aft. On that rudder wing was painted the name "Clam Digger" and a devil & pitch fork! I assume this was Jack's idea !
I believe this boat had much prior unlimited race history under another name & prior ownership.
Has anyone ever seen this Hydroplane before or since the 70s?
Who raced her ?
Is she still around ?

smidgen too
10-21-2009, 10:56 AM
In Ocean City NJ in the 70s "Uncle" Jack Thompson of Thompson Boatworks has an old wooden unlimited Hydroplane where the driver sat in the back that was powered by twin Chrysler Hemi s similar to your original engine set-up !
The twin-linked engine idea has been around for a long time!
Gar Wood once used 4 packard V12 engines in one of his Miss America boats.
He called it his "Power Packed Concept"!
There are many famous photos of this monster on the web!
I have seen twin & quadruple WW I Liberty aircraft engines used in one hull also !
Jack's old Unlimited Hydro had a custom machined gearbox in it to get the power to the two blade SS prop!
He claimed it was the fastest boat in South Jersey !
It once successfully raced among Allison & Rolls~Royce Merlin V12 fighter plane engined hydros!
Jack bought it used after the race team was finished with it !
When he owned her the boat was painted bright red with a wooden airplane style rudder wing aft. On that rudder wing was painted the name "Clam Digger" and a devil & pitch fork! I assume this was Jack's idea !
I believe this boat had much prior unlimited race history under another name & prior ownership.
Has anyone ever seen this Hydroplane before or since the 70s?
Who raced her ?
Is she still around ?
The hydro was called Chrysler Crew,, I believe I watched it win the Gold Cup here in Detroit in the mid to late 60's.. :beer:

smidgen too
10-21-2009, 11:11 AM
The hydro was called Chrysler Crew,, I believe I watched it win the Gold Cup here in Detroit in the mid to late 60's.. :beer:
I found the whole story on her.
She did win in Detroit, but may not have been the Gold Cup. http://www.thunderboats.org/history/history0098.html

silverghost
10-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I wonder if this boat was the Chrysler Crew or another hydroplane.
It had the Lauterbach name on the hull in metal script !
Late in life "Uncle" Jack Thompson was living in a small garage/outbuilding on the edge of his old large boatyard! He had sold the yard and soon after new boatbuilder owners had a big fire while building fiberglass boats. Many large boats were lost! Dad's friend had the last Egg Harbor Sportfish that was saved!
It was heavily charred on one side! Everything plastic melted!
Jack's twin hemi Hydroplane still existed in the late 70s when I visited him with my late uncle! It was inside the same garage where he was living in a large RV Camper ! He later went into a nursing home after a stroke!
I do not know what ever became of that great twin-engined hydroplane beast!

f_inscreenname
10-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Why thanks for the info SG.
I am trying to keep it as original as possible. Some things have been changed (for the better) before me. For the most part no one would know the difference anyway. I look at it as an evolution of the boat. Every picture I see of it in the past shows something changed. If it didn’t work they would do something else. From what I understand the boat was made for one, maybe two racing seasons and after that it was no longer useful to them so if they needed a hole they just cut it. Got a hole in the deck, screw some plywood over it. So some things had to change. In its present condition it looks almost original as it can. The 454’s are there because I have had enough experiences with exotic Chryslers and Fords. If I would have been able to by the side oiler 427s and after selling my kids was able to get them in running condition the only time they would have seen the boat is if I was selling it. I have no intention of ever doing that so they would be locked up again from sitting in the garage for the next 100 years.
There is also the future for stuff like that. I think the worst thing I see people do with things like this is they try too hard. The motor has to be perfect replacement. Spend weeks on a bow light. Things never get done. This is all I can afford right now and it will get it back on the water. After that when time and money allows the other things can come. I would rather have a running race boat with the wrong motors in it then a fiberglass tub in the back yard with no motors. Please also keep in mind that whatever I do can be changed. If a couple perfect side oilers fall out of the sky it wouldn’t take much to pull the 454’s and drop the Ford’s in.

silverghost
10-21-2009, 05:02 PM
I understand too well the problem with finding Ford 427 side oilers.
If you CAN find them they are very expensive~ and you need two!
Many were pulled out of boats in the last 10-15 years for Shelby Cobra Fiberglass & Aluminum Kit cars..
The 427s were worth far more than the old boats they were in! I have heard of people spending nutty money for 427 side oilers !
In fact I have a friend Mel Kaiser that was selling these kits..
The Chev 454 MK IV is a very good choice today.
You can also find Ford "FE"390 & 427 standard center oilers for very reasonable money. You might consider these down the line..
I would find a pair and stash them away in the garage for the future !
Race Boats were typically used for one or two years and then scrapped or sold-off usually without engines!
Others became test beds for developing new race boat rigs!
Most did not survive !
That's also what makes your great race boat so rare!
Other than using the Chevy 454s I would keep it as orginal and period-correct as possible!
By the way~ I have a 454 MK V & 4L80E trans in my 1991 454 SS Pick-up Truck !
Do you stll have the 454 MK V and the 4L80E Trans that your not using ?
I might be interested in spares as I do not intend to ever sell the 454 SS !

f_inscreenname
10-21-2009, 06:21 PM
I understand too well the problem with finding Ford 427 side oilers.
If you CAN find them they are very expensive~ and you need two!

And one of them has to be a reverse rotation $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Do you stll have the 454 MK V and the 4L80E Trans that your not using ?
I might be interested in spares as I do not intend to ever sell the 454 SS !

The motor is slated to go in the Monza. The trans, make an offer and come and get it. Better yet find me a Gen V 454 block and make a trade.:yes:

f_inscreenname
10-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Hey M/P the strut is the same that's on the Nova production boat. I've also been told that they originally came from a Donzi.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/noisynova/DSCF1734.jpg

f_inscreenname
10-21-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure what the water pick up is for anyway. I'm sure I can figure something out if needed. Not to put you on the spot or anything. :angel:
This boat has more plumbing then my house has between the two motors, v drive, stuffing box, ballast tank.....

f_inscreenname
09-20-2011, 02:47 PM
I guess I can say that the Nova24 race boat build is officially over. Yes it need to be washed and detailed. And yes it needs a test drive or two hundred but everything works in the driveway so if anything happens from this point on it's fixing it not building it. So as far as I'm concerned it's the end.
Now I guess it's on to the Monza Project II.:boggled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg_Tg1BrwHU

Ghost
09-20-2011, 06:33 PM
AWESOME!! Congratulations!!

Thanks for bringing a really cool one back from the dead. Let me know if there's any way I can help with testing, towing it around fo launch it, bringing a support boat for sea trials, whatever. The boat looked amazing yesterday, and even more cool was seeing both motors in gear, spinning the prop through a single v-drive. Bet it's been 35 years since that happened.

GBond
09-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Congrats.....Know, it's been a long haul for you! Have followed your project/progress on OSO.

Have to read this thread from the beginning. :lookaroun:

Keep the camera running!

tom rockstroh
09-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Here are the pics from 79',I could not upload on OSO.6794667945

GBond
10-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Please share some updates... on this classic?

f_inscreenname
10-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Please share some updates... on this classic?

On which boat???
The Monza I have now? Tom you may be interested in this one. Just a little of what's going on the last couple weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDnk7U2g2w4

The Monza I just let go this summer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBzcrm3w9L0&feature=channel_video_title

The SuperNova 19 I re-did this spring?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qffe4Jt_fE8&feature=channel_video_title

ooooohhhh. You mean this one? The Nova 24 Race Boat I finished this late summer. (YouTube wont let me publish it on their site. Something about copyrights bla, bla, bla so you have to download it.
http://supernova19.com/Hosting stuff/101.wmv