PDA

View Full Version : Experation Date on PFD,s?????????

fasttrucker
06-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Better check them,Story here about a $1500 dollar fine one month out of date.The boater went to court and they reduced it to $300.

VetteLT193
06-23-2009, 12:01 PM
maybe on the ones that inflate, but regular ones??????

fasttrucker
06-23-2009, 12:15 PM
maybe on the ones that inflate, but regular ones??????
Yes, they have a 10 year exp. date.

BUIZILLA
06-23-2009, 12:27 PM
flares are one year....

$90 for each flare out of date...

been there done that parade :nilly:

penbroke
06-23-2009, 12:38 PM
I thought flares were good for 3 years...

Frank :confused:

BlownCrewCab
06-23-2009, 12:42 PM
It may seem like no big deal, (and it's not, they still float the same,Right), BUT, In the event of an accident where someone drowns YOU will be left Defending YOURSELF Because your ins co is going to use that as a way out.:yes: The other ins co will pick you apart and everyting you own goes by-by:frown:

VetteLT193
06-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Yes, they have a 10 year exp. date.

where the heck is it, printed on there somewhere?

CHACHI
06-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I thought flares were good for 3 years...

Frank :confused:
I hope so, because I only replace mine every 3 years.

Ken

Marlin275
06-23-2009, 01:49 PM
The flares I buy have the 3 year expired date printed on the package.

Ghost
06-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm assuming that expirations on PFDs are for the 5-dollar cheapies and others lightly-built ones that you always see dry-rotted when they get old? And that things like the soft closed-cell foam, neoprene, and commercial closed-cell foam would not expire?

Again, that might make sense to me, but TOTALLY just an assumption.

1. Anybody know for sure?

2. And if anyone knows where the dates live, I'm curious on that too.

(Going to the basement now for a look at a couple...)

penbroke
06-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm assuming that expirations on PFDs are for the 5-dollar cheapies and others lightly-built ones that you always see dry-rotted when they get old? And that things like the soft closed-cell foam, neoprene, and commercial closed-cell foam would not expire?

Again, that might make sense to me, but TOTALLY just an assumption.

1. Anybody know for sure?

2. And if anyone knows where the dates live, I'm curious on that too.

(Going to the basement now for a look at a couple...)

I believe it is just the inflatabls that expire.

Frank

Ghost
06-23-2009, 02:53 PM
I believe it is just the inflatabls that expire.

Frank

Thanks. I just scoped two very new neoprene ski-type vests, and a closed cell commercial Jim-Buoy Type I, and all I see are Lot #s, no dates of any kind. I bet you're right. -Mike

handfulz28
06-23-2009, 03:02 PM
It's probably the gas cylinders for the inflatables, not PFDs overall, that have expiry dates.

MOP
06-23-2009, 04:42 PM
The only thing I found on jackets was a date of testing tag on the back, I went out and looked at a couple of mine there was no visual expiration.

On Flares this is what I found

Note: If pyrotechnic devices are selected, a minimum of three must be carried. Pyrotechnic
devices come with an expiration date, which is 42 months from the date of manufacture. To meet
carriage requirements, you must have at least three un-expired flares aboard. You may carry
expired flares as back up, but they will not count towards the legal requirement.

fasttrucker
06-25-2009, 02:34 PM
I checked a little more into the story.It maybe the pfd 'class'rating that the coast guard used was or had been updated.So they were not legal for the times.Wrong class.Not expired.They must have been some old life vests.

yeller
06-25-2009, 07:16 PM
They may not have an expiry date, but PFD's and lifevests should be tested at least once a year because they can deteriorate.

Just put 'em on and hop in the water. A PFD should hold your chin above water. A lifevest should turn you face up.