PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Hornet III sank in Hurricane Ike

flying tomato
06-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Hello to all,
So I bought this 1984 Donzi Hornet III after it sank in Hurricane Ike. Of course, I got a smokin deal. Here are some before and after photos. I have been working on this since the storm.

Lenny
06-22-2009, 10:41 PM
I think you might win a prize for the best "before" pic :yes:

very nice, small block ???

farmer tx
06-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Did you pull the front bench seat and replace it with the buckets? I will guess 330 TRS. Looks real good compaired to the first photo. Oh, and welcome to D.net

Ghost
06-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Looks great. Nice work bringing it back from that mess. -Mike

JimG
06-23-2009, 06:12 AM
There you are! We've all been wondering about that boat! I looked all over the canal behind the dealership after Ike. I even stopped and asked if it survived. No one knew...

Love that boat! It's beautiful!

Are you in the Clear Lake area?

Jim

Morgan's Cloud
06-23-2009, 07:02 AM
That IS nice ...

My guess is that it 'floated' into that position ? ? Nonetheless , you were lucky if the windscreen wasn't damaged , which appears to have been the case.

What type of damage did it suffer from the storm.. ?

mattyboy
06-23-2009, 07:27 AM
nice save

is this the hornett that was for sale in Kemah TX (sp) it was on boattrader for the longest time

JimG
06-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Matty, that's it. I think there was a thread on it. I tried to get Jefe to look at it...

flying tomato
06-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks to all for the positive reinforcement. It was the 330 TRS.
This boat has been a real challenge to bring to working condition.
Yes this boat had the bench seat in front. I liked the buckets better. Had to do some fiberglass work to the floor where the cancer got in.
Motor was toast, so in the rebuild I installed a stroker crank and now she is a 496 ci with some goodies. The tank is still full of varnish. I have clogged 6 fuel filters so far.
I thought it just had a loose steering arm, but upon further inspection, the lower pivot bearing was bad. It also leaked like crazy around the transom plate. To make a long story short--I replaced the outer transom plate, gimble ring, and bell housing. Its kinda funny--the original owner or his shop fabricated a bracket and installed it on the steering cable/inner transom bracket to try and eliminate the play in the steering cable. The bracket all but eliminated the power steering!!!! It is amazing how much stuff I found wrong with this boat. I could go on and on. Just one example is the temp guage was connected to the fuel sender. I'll post some more pics later today. Again, thanks to all.
Oh yeah, I live in Seabrook.

HOWARD O
06-23-2009, 10:23 AM
I remember that boat, sent numerous emails and never got a reply.

Wow, GREAT save, you've got a REALLY nice boat! You're my hero! :yes:

Jraysray
06-23-2009, 01:55 PM
I posted this before. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54603

I also saw it before it was in the consignment lot in Kemah. It was in San Leon. They were asking 18k for it. So glad to see it stayed in Seabrook. VERY nice!

Now if we can get that 88 Testa running in seabrook will have a nice little pack to run with.

PM me when you get that varnish issue taken care of. Will love to get on Clear Lake with ya.

Got to take care of my Exxon Valdez issue in my bilge first. Seems all the oil found it way OUT of my engine :frown:

MDonziM
06-23-2009, 06:16 PM
I think you might win a prize for the best "before" pic :yes:

very nice, small block ???

Seriously, I thought it had 4wheel drive or something.

BigGrizzly
06-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Nice save and it looks good congratulations.

JimG
06-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Great job on it!

Yeah, what Jraysray said! Let's get the Donzi's out for a saltwater run, maybe converge on Outriggers or Boondoggles or Sundance...

A little show n shine, Texas Donzi-style!

flying tomato
06-24-2009, 07:27 AM
The Sundance grill is gone.

Jraysray
06-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Isn't there one in Watergate marina? BTW I saw a bunch of people in or around the pool at the one on the channel. Guess the pool is running?

twofiftyeight
06-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Boat looks great. Now if i could just get my Hornet finished. What kind of speed are you looking at with that setup?

JimG
06-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Sundance II at Waterford Harbour. It rocks...

Jraysray
06-24-2009, 10:51 PM

Watergate/Waterford one of those south shore places. Sams Boat is more my style. Brash and proud about it. (Well they are trying to be!) :0)

fegettes
06-25-2009, 06:46 AM

So good to hear that they have re-opened. I miss their stuffed jalapeno's, they're excellent. I know where I am going next week when I get in.