PDA

View Full Version : Best plugs?

ZekesterbluH3
06-22-2009, 07:33 PM
The merc site calls for NGK BR6FS plugs for the stock '86 Merc 330 I'm running...anyone have any other opinions? V-groove plugs, platinums?

I'm treating her to it's first tune up in 10 years : )

also plug wires, are most automotive sets ok, or is there an advantage to using "not for street use" none resistor sets?

BigGrizzly
06-22-2009, 07:49 PM
The NGK is a great plug. don't get taken by the hot U plug I tested for them and it isn't that great. Now the platinum is a different story but in that application it is very expensive and overkill.

ZekesterbluH3
06-22-2009, 07:59 PM
thanks, and for wires? I'm thinkiing a set of 8.5mm Accel or MSD wires must be much better than stock, even with resistor types...

BUIZILLA
06-22-2009, 08:06 PM
you don't need the 8.5 wires...

MOP
06-22-2009, 08:07 PM
MR43T's the stock plug has been doing the job very well for many years, very surprised Merc is now recommending NGK. There is nothing wrong with NGK I just have seen no real benefit running them, I run MR43t's in mine and have for 30 some odd years without an single issue. Is it Merc or the dealer doing the recommendation?

Phil

ZekesterbluH3
06-22-2009, 08:31 PM
It's what came up on a merc site for a part number...

MOP
06-22-2009, 08:44 PM
It's what came up on a merc site for a part number...

I looked on the site but could not find any reference to a brand just part numbers, post the link.

roadtrip se
06-22-2009, 08:52 PM
I like them. I run the V-power long tips. Good stuff. Put in a new set every season. Not expensive, easy to do.

mrfixxall
06-22-2009, 09:14 PM
thanks, and for wires? I'm thinkiing a set of 8.5mm Accel or MSD wires must be much better than stock, even with resistor types...

Run the msd or taylor wires,dont like the accels..taylor makes a 8mm for about 55 bucks,you pick the color:)

ZekesterbluH3
06-22-2009, 09:23 PM
item 22, after I put I selected merc 330, then my serial #...

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=%2043075&ivar=images/COMMON/20185.png&inbr=978&bnbr=50&bdesc=Distributor+and+Ignition+Components

MOP
06-23-2009, 08:28 AM
item 22, after I put I selected merc 330, then my serial #...

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=%2043075&ivar=images/COMMON/20185.png&inbr=978&bnbr=50&bdesc=Distributor+and+Ignition+Components

Thanks but still somewhat surprised to see it knowing how well the Delco's did for so many years, we have had a plug discussion after discussion many agreed use the 43T's.

A few plug posts below!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52102&highlight=spark+plugs
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48213&highlight=spark+plugs
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51468&highlight=spark+plugs
In this link Rootsy one of the fastest 16's
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43821&highlight=spark+plugs
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43177&highlight=spark+plugs

Now don't get me wrong the NGK's are a good plug as are many others but I use what has proven to be good and a bit cheaper, I got my last set of MR's for $2.25 each why pay $3-4 for something that does not really make any difference. Also horse power gains from any spark plug are very minimal if any! In a boat you need a lot of HP to make any noticeable speed gains.

roadtrip se
06-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Now don't get me wrong the NGK's are a good plug as are many others but I use what has proven to be good and a bit cheaper, I got my last set of MR's for $2.25 each why pay $3-4 for something that does not really make any difference. Also horse power gains from any spark plug are very minimal if any! In a boat you need a lot of HP to make any noticeable speed gains.

The difference is like $14 utilizing your pricing. Are you really THAT CHEAP?

We are talking about the cost of five or six gallons of fuel. And by the way, I have found NGK stuff for $2-3 per unit, so the difference is really $6-$8.

And there is a perceptible difference in the way the stock Delco plugs run compared to the NGK stuff from my experience with the 500
and Scorpion blue motors. Maybe not so much in the lower HP stuff, but what can it hurt?

Making this a financial decison? Wow.

farmer tx
06-23-2009, 11:36 PM
The difference is like $14 utilizing your pricing. Are you really THAT CHEAP?
We are talking about the cost of five or six gallons of fuel. And by the way, I have found NGK stuff for $2-3 per unit, so the difference is really $6-$8.
And there is a perceptible difference in the way the stock Delco plugs run compared to the NGK stuff from my experience with the 500
and Scorpion blue motors. Maybe not so much in the lower HP stuff, but what can it hurt?
Making this a financial decison? Wow.

What a piece of work! What does an HP 500 have to do with a "STOCK" 330 Merc package that Zekester is asking about?:boggled:

HOWARD O
06-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Last winter, I put in plugs 3 times while trying to get this 330 running properly. I used the MR43's and the NGK's. Have NGK's in there now but there is absolutely NO difference I could tell.....I just got what was readily available.

By the way, you may have a tough time finding the MR43's. I think they have changed the designation from "MR" to "CR". Marine to Commercial.

roadtrip se
06-24-2009, 08:03 AM
What a piece of work! What does an HP 500 have to do with a "STOCK" 330 Merc package that Zekester is asking about?:boggled:

"Maybe not so much in the lower HP stuff, but what can it hurt?"

We are talking nickels and dimes here...

MOP
06-24-2009, 08:11 AM
If one wishes to be a true pundit Google MR43T, take a few moments to read a few pages you may be enlightened. They are now offered in Rapid Fire and are still standard issue in GM high performance engines, but then again who runs a GM based engine?

penbroke
06-24-2009, 08:19 AM
... but then again who runs a GM based engine?

Not I...:wink::wink:

Frank

VetteLT193
06-24-2009, 08:45 AM
I run the MR's. There is just something about putting a japanese plug in an American engine that doesn't feel right.

Barry Eller
06-24-2009, 08:59 AM
MR43T's here too.

I did run NGK's in my old 200 Black Max eggbeater and my weed-eater.

BUIZILLA
06-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I think they have changed the designation from "MR" to "CR". Marine to Commercial. i'm pretty sure the *C* is for Copper

roadtrip se
06-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Okay, As Al Bundy used to say on Married With Children...

"Let's Rock"...

What came from the factory in my new Formula with twin 350's? NGKs.

What does Mercury recomend and sell in their parts catalog? NGKs.

What did Phil Lipschultz ship in my 500EFI take-out? NGKs.
What does Phil use in his Cig 20? NGKs.

What has Ron Potter quoted for plugs on the "refresh" for the 500? NGKs.

What did Innovation and Sterling have on their quotes to me for the 500 refresh? Yep, NGKs.

When I went to the John Deere store to buy tune-up parts for the Gator recently, what did they give me? NGK. What came out of the Gator? An NGK. Okay this one doesn't count, but I think you get the point.

I guess if they are good enough for all of these folks, they are good enough for me.

RedDog
06-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I have no problems with NGKs, but for what it is worth - Dennis Moore's BBC Marine Performance book recommends AC MR43TS. The "S" designation means the plug has an extended tip for more efficient combustion. The "M" designation means the plug body is stainless steel and best for a marine environment.

HOWARD O
06-24-2009, 11:09 AM
i'm pretty sure the *C* is for Copper

That's what one would think, but not in the prefix, it's commercial:

Plug Identification Table Prefix Identification Code Description
B Series Gap
C Commercial
CS Chain Saw
F Fine Line 14 mm 5/8" Hex
M Marine
LM Lawn Mower type
R Resistor
S Shielded (5/8-24 thread)
V Surface Gap
Prefixes are sometimes combined e.g., VB, CR

Here's a link to the website: http://www.acdelco.com/parts/sparkplugs/identification.jsp

MOP
06-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Daamn this is near as good as OIL!!!!

BUIZILLA
06-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Howard, what about the suffix chart?

HOWARD O
06-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Howard, what about the suffix chart?

Here ya go:

http://www.acdelco.com/parts/sparkplugs/identification.jsp

BigGrizzly
06-24-2009, 05:53 PM
I saw this coming.

MOP
06-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Sparks & Oil always creates a little fire!!!

ZekesterbluH3
06-25-2009, 12:36 AM
I saw this coming.

I had no idea....I should have seen it coming, but thought it was a legitimate question...

maybe I'll run 4 NGKs in the port cylinders, and 4 Delcos in the Starboard..I'll post which side pulls harder : )

all kidding aside, not my intention to create a storm with this,

when it comes down to 50/50, I'll see what I can find first and go from there...

roadtrip se
06-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Zek, I am glad you were able to get some info and opinions on plugs.
We all use the site for this purpose. I just went through it to get some ideas on fiberglass repair. Works good.

My reaction was based only partially on the brand of plug to use. I don't own stock in NGK and grew up in the Midwest, so I lean towards buying American.

What got me going was how this illiustrated just how cheap a few here can be. Probably the same crowd that will drive fifteen miles out of their way to save five cents on gas. Amazing.