PDA

View Full Version : Next boat - looking for opinions

Boiler56
06-21-2009, 09:11 PM
I've got my 22ZX listed for sale on this site and a few others. I'm looking to move up to something in the 27'-29' range, with a single Mercruiser engine/Bravo combination. Looking for something 5 years old or newer. I have looked at a 29/ Fever, and a 29' Velocity, both great boats.

All of the 29' Donzis that I've seen have had twin small blocks. I know there are advantages/disadvantages to both set-ups, does anyone on this site know if any of the Donzi 29zx models were built with singles?

Please let me know if there are any other boats in this category I should be looking at. I'm not in a hurry, won't buy anything until my current boat is gone.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Planetwarmer
06-21-2009, 09:31 PM
You can get 28ZXs with a single BBC

The Hedgehog
06-22-2009, 07:56 AM
There is a 27ZX that is coming up for sale. The 27ZX later became the 28ZX. It is the same size. This boat has a BBC and can eat those Fountains and Velocities for breakfast while having a much better ride in the rough. It is a big boat for the size. It will probably be the best bang for the buck out there. This is a 97 so will not meet your five years or newer criteria. On the other hand, it has been stored in a shop, has a new updated sunpad, new drive, full hydraulic steering, new gauges, a bunch of billet interior goodies, and an newer engine that got fresh heads last year.

I have a 26ZX and have owned a 27ZX. I can vouch for the size.

You will not find many 27 and 28 singles with the twin step for sale. Occasionally a few will hit the market. I was looking for one for my project but had to go with a 26ZX which is much bigger than the 27 Fountain.

Tom A.
06-22-2009, 08:15 AM
My friend had a 26zx and it was a great running boat. I don't know your budget but the 28zx with the twin small blocks was a good running boat an if you don't need a big cabin there are a few good deals on 27 zr's.
I am not a fan of the Velocitys.

just my .02

Last Real Texan
06-22-2009, 08:35 AM
I own the boat thet Hedgehog is talking about....give me a call if you want some details about it, or even if you just want some input on the class of boats you are looking at, I have been in your shoes and it is tough to get it all sorted out, I'm happy to help even if you are not interested in mine and welcome to the board.

Tex
478-737-0003

CJmike
06-22-2009, 10:20 AM
I have Bill's old 27zx. I love the size of the boat. Great cabin underneath with lots of room for spare stuff. With some creative packing and a couple of containers/coolers under the engine hatch I can get enough stuff on board to weekend out of it. Just me and the wife no kids. The single motor is nice. Keeps fuel costs down and goes okay. Might be hard to find a newer single though. But twin small blocks would be a pretty nice set up as well.