PDA

View Full Version : water time

rtgogo
06-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Just wondering the ratio and stories from folks that go boating and stay out all day vs using their home base most of the daylight with runs out in the ride. I have young children and think that contributes to my scenario, but seem to spend a lot more time around the water at my house than actually runnin her across the water. I hear of folks that spend the day out floatin, etc, just wondering if I'm in the minority with being locked to the land more than skippin or floatin on my ride all day the way I envisioned...

Ghost
06-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Floating and rafting up are great ways to spend time. The ultimate in waterfront property, for those of us who lack the real thing. Cruising is great too, but for my thinking boating's far more affordable as the ratio of hours anchored to hours running increases. I can enjoy a lot more hours with the ration tilted heavily to the former.

Mike

zelatore
06-21-2009, 01:30 AM
Usually, I prefer to be underway when I'm on the boat. Especially in the Donzi. Now in the Carver, I'll spend time rafted up with people far more often. Heck, for the 4th I'll run about 4 hours, spend the 1st thru 5th rafted with a bunch of other boats, then run 4 hrs home. I'll put more hours on the gen than the mains...

f_inscreenname
06-21-2009, 08:44 AM
I’ve experienced both worlds. The last house the ramp was about 8 miles away. Get out as early as possible and stay out as long as possible. Now that the ramp is 500 feet from the house and I pass by the water everyday, hear boats screaming up the channel from my driveway and can smell the air there is no need for that anymore. I pick my times and burn gas. May sit for a while but if to hot or cold its time to go.
When you throw young kids in the mix its at their schedule. When they are tired and ready to go no matter how much fun you are having it’s time to go. Until they are old enough to leave at the dock when they want to go and they don’t you might as well get used to it.

The Hedgehog
06-21-2009, 08:52 AM
I do both depending on what lake I am on.

I do the cruiser thing like Don.

When on Center Hill, I usually run somewhere like a friends place then on the way back I may float for a while. Center Hill is long so I spend a good bit of time driving. I may drive 70-80 miles in a day.

Running on Nickajack it is usually to Chattanooga and back. I will hit a few bars and restaurants while in Chatt Town.

Now, how about the lake Martin question I asked a few threads down.

Carl C
06-21-2009, 09:03 AM
On the local lake we'll run around awhile then drop anchor to swim, play tunes and talk to other boaters. Then pull anchor, run around some more etc.

Nothing beats a good day of fast cruising on the Great Lakes though. That is what I live for. I've got some cruises planned for this summer to Put-In-Bay, Cedar Point and Mackinaw Island and who knows where else. Even though I drink very little I love a stop at Brown's bar on Lake St. Clair after a hard run.

It's all good! :)

rtgogo
06-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Seems like some set out on their boat with routes or destinations similar to the way i would plan a ride on my touring bike. I'm looking to mix up my boating habits as I find myself playin in the same pools and hittin speed on the same big water.

mattyboy
06-21-2009, 10:35 AM
alot has to do with the people you bring along, with kids you have to keep them occupied and depending on their age, so things like tubing skiing swimming fishing all come into play. My wife could sun on the 16 all day so we would just float around in the sun with occasional blast to stay in the sun as it moves during the day. I need to watch to much sun so while she sunned I would swim or relax under the towels and listen to a ball game.

that's what is great about boating you can do alot float raft putt along cruise fly what ever makes you happy

gold-n-rod
06-21-2009, 11:18 AM
My big boat, which I bought in '94 w/22 hrs on it now has about 250 hours. That's an average of 15 running hours a year, but I assure you, we've probably spent 100 times that in rafting, floating and generally have boating and water fun.

When I'm with people, running together is fun... for a brief while, but I like to raft up and hang out.

With the Donzi, I hang out with people who have 'toon boats and larger boats. Then, it's used for joyriding and making the women and children scream and grin. :shocking: