PDA

View Full Version : Do all 16's chine walk above 60?

Okie2
06-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Finally have enough seat time to know my boat now...Donziweasel's old classic 16 ('97), alpha 1 drive, 377 hp, bennett trim tabs, Mirage Plus labbed 25 prop. So at full throttle & tabs trimmed way down it will run 63....let the tabs up just a little & the little squirrel is all over the place...top speed at 65 (gps) & you're airborne....Is this typical for the 16...is it just not designed to run or is it just mine? CigR's hot little 16 will run in the 70's...how does he do it? Input? Do the 18's have the same issues? Thanks for input. Scott

jl1962
06-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Definitely NOT!

Some start a little over 50! :shocking::eek::nilly:

Mid 60's in a 16 is pretty darn fast......

JL

:cool!:

Lenny
06-19-2009, 05:17 PM
If you talk to Jamie R I think he said they swettle down at 75 :D

Okie2
06-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Mid 60's is fast enough to play for me...don't need a bigger boat (have a 22' pontoon for stuff & people) & can cruise the lake at 50 all day...& jump waves ....It's really fun...though it does get really hairy when trimmed up..... Just wondered if all were like that. How do the 18's handle? Scott

Donzi Vol
06-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Finally have enough seat time to know my boat now...Donziweasel's old classic 16 ('97), alpha 1 drive, 377 hp, bennett trim tabs, Mirage Plus labbed 25 prop. So at full throttle & tabs trimmed way down it will run 63....let the tabs up just a little & the little squirrel is all over the place...top speed at 65 (gps) & you're airborne....Is this typical for the 16...is it just not designed to run or is it just mine? CigR's hot little 16 will run in the 70's...how does he do it? Input? Do the 18's have the same issues? Thanks for input. Scott

They all walk a little. It's the nature of the hull. It's just a matter of getting used to it and learning to control it to the point that you're comfortable (and it seems that you've figured it out if you're pulling 65). The 18's chine walk as well, usually in the upper 60's (at least that's been my experience). Only difference there is it's 2 more feet of fiberglass which makes it that much more of a freaky feeling. You're fortunate to have the tabs.

fogducker III
06-19-2009, 06:19 PM
yes, 18's chine walk.......:eek::yes:

Problem is, mine does it mid 70's and can sneak up on ya REAL quick...........:wink:

I think as stated above, they all do it at some point, some more than others depending on the power plant, drive unit, trim tabs or not, trim/tilt or not and even the driver effects the over-all 'experience"..........nice going on the mid 60's......:cool!:

gold-n-rod
06-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Mine does at 62. Tabs up and trimmed as far up as it will go w/o cavitating.

Funny, it does it more with an empty tank of fuel than with a full one and the speed's the same. She must like some weight up front.

BigGrizzly
06-19-2009, 06:42 PM
YES, but with seat time and some mods, you can control it

DonziDan16
06-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Mine started walking at WOT once...and she tops out at 50 :bonk:

Maybe I was really low on gas. 16's definitely like some weight up front.

ajochum
06-19-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm kind of new to this and would like a boatish lesson. What do you guys mean when you talk about the chimes "walking". I think the chime is the angle at the back of the boat from the center of the hull outward a bit. What does the walking part mean? I do know that my 2+3 at 60 is very scary and I feel like I'm losing it.

Rootsy
06-19-2009, 09:09 PM
If you aren't doing 75 in a 16 then you aren't serious... :popcorn:

Just ask Toona....

gcarter
06-19-2009, 09:18 PM
The "Chine" is the corner running longitudinally along both sides at the junction of the side and the bottom.
Under certain conditions, the boat will lose some stability and rock from side to side, but rarely as far as the chines because that would be about 50*.

gold-n-rod
06-19-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm kind of new to this and would like a boatish lesson. What do you guys mean when you talk about the chimes "walking". I think the chime is the angle at the back of the boat from the center of the hull outward a bit. What does the walking part mean? I do know that my 2+3 at 60 is very scary and I feel like I'm losing it.
Not this:

http://www.boldersounds.net/images/WindChimes.gif

THIS!

http://www.stevescustomprops.com/images/chine_walking_diagram1.gif

Okie2
06-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Diagram is really good.... But, chine walk....in real life...it means bend other & grab the lube...you're gonna feel something really serious!!! Boat flops like a half dead tuna.....Is really easy to just drop the tabs...lose a couple of mph & call it a compromise. These boats are a blast....I still love that little Orange one from New Jersey!!!!

The Hedgehog
06-19-2009, 10:15 PM
If you aren't doing 75 in a 16 then you aren't serious... :popcorn:

Just ask Toona....

Priceless!

What Grizz said on the mods. Hydraulic steering should help a bunch. It did on my 18. Ask Donzi Vol. I can run along bumping 70 with no hands on the wheel. I know that the 16 is more prone to dancing but the steering had got to help.

Donzi Vol
06-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Priceless!

What Grizz said on the mods. Hydraulic steering should help a bunch. It did on my 18. Ask Donzi Vol. I can run along bumping 70 with no hands on the wheel. I know that the 16 is more prone to dancing but the steering had got to help.

Yep. I will attest to that. I was really amazed at how well she handled. The steering is really cool and so helpful, but I was amazed at the whole boat. I didn't feel unstable like in most 18's.

I'm taking the 16 o/b out tomorrow. She doesn't get squirly as long as there's a little chop to keep you on your toes.

osur866
06-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Yes my 18 walks also, Full steering helped a little, shortened drive height helped some, losing some weight out of the stern helped a little, but she will still dance. It's a little freaky to see the look on passangers faces when running in the high 60's up to top speed when I'm making quick jerks on the steering wheel left and right and the boat is running straight. Takes 100% concentration and is something you need to be in rythm with, loose your rythm and she starts dancing again. Try that and a little more down trim to settle the boat, once settled give more trim and get back in rythm with it. Best way I can describe how to drive the boat straight without it dancing around. Mine box stock started to walk around 67 with an intersting bow steer thrown in with it :eek:, after the mods it will still dance, but not so much if I dont do anything to counter act it, hope this helps, Steve

syclone01
06-20-2009, 08:12 AM
all the above threads are true and informative. Your prop selection can also cause it to start at much earlier or later speeds as well. A better steering system definately helps as stated, the full hyd with helm is best of course. Also just moving weight from side to side around the boat can help too, such as battery placement, anchor, one person in boat or two, etc. I know in a friends boat, he has had the best luck with the new mercury fury props...he has tried every prop merc makes and some other brands as well. The merc mirage chined like crazy at low to mid 50's, the fury he's at 67gps almost no chine and holds the bow high. Try any and every prop you can.

Rootsy
06-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Priceless!

Hydraulic steering helps about... this much.. see... that distance between my fingers? Hands free is a nice feeling but in reality it isn't doing a whoooooole lot for hull stabilization overall. Taking the slop out of the steering system from prop to inner transom is minor overall.. especially if you are cracking that valve to hold pressure to one side or the other.

With the Gen II my 16 was uncontrollable @ 68... no matter what prop I ran... trimming it out enough to free the hull just flat out resulted in a white knuckled ride.

SS made it drivable in excess of 75 mph... It would still develop a walk if you got into some mixed up water or if you grossly over trimmed it.

On the other hand.. with the same drive setup, same prop and virtually the same HP, DougL's 18 is like riding in a cadillac bumping 80... waves or not...

The Hedgehog
06-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Hydraulic steering helps about... this much.. see... that distance between my fingers? Hands free is a nice feeling but in reality it isn't doing a whoooooole lot for hull stabilization overall. Taking the slop out of the steering system from prop to inner transom is minor overall.. especially if you are cracking that valve to hold pressure to one side or the other.
With the Gen II my 16 was uncontrollable @ 68... no matter what prop I ran... trimming it out enough to free the hull just flat out resulted in a white knuckled ride.
SS made it drivable in excess of 75 mph... It would still develop a walk if you got into some mixed up water or if you grossly over trimmed it.
On the other hand.. with the same drive setup, same prop and virtually the same HP, DougL's 18 is like riding in a cadillac bumping 80... waves or not...

So shaft height is more of a factor on the 16. I would have thought that taking out the gimbal slop is helpful. I had a new drive and transom assemble in my 18 and the external steering helped a good bit. The other factor for me was prop.

Now the weight and balance thing still plays a part on my 18. Light in fuel and by myself, it will still dance on command. It takes steering input like Steve said. As a matter of fact a couple of weeks ago, I was marveling about how it could run high speeds with no input. I had been driving for a while and was by myself. It did not take long to realize how much input I was giving it when I was solo. Put two big guys in the front and it drives like it is on rails.

I don't have as much experience with a 16 as you, but would imagine that lightening up the stern would help get that hook up and out higher. Something like saving 100 lbs on exhaust may be good. Is it?

BigGrizzly
06-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Heck My 22 chine walks at certain speeds too, deal with it. Some drop one tab some find other means. Every thing above helps, nothing cures it..

MOP
06-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Being I/O's you are limited with what can be done, anyone who has done a bit of outboard stuff knows jacking the engine up pretty much does away with chine walk and can raise speed dramatically. I/O options: shorty, SS drive or raising the X none of which is cheap. But in the real scheme of things raising the prop shaft height will get you more speed then the same amount of $$ spent on the engine. Take the SS they are some cheap compared to building and engine capable of achieving the same speeds, it takes a lot of HP for every mile per hour gained!

Sweet Cheekz
06-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Okie
You asked about mine and it does not chine walk in the 60's at all but I put a 62 gallon tank, much heavier seats and a forward bulkhead in mine so I think I have a lot more weight forward than a regular 16 Everyone says the ss helps alot also. Plus I have more horsepower so I keep it trimmed in farther to go the same speed and not get all kittywampus

I have noticed that at max speeds the tabs need very short adjustments to pick up speed and start getting out of wack. I have practiced small bumps on each tabs as I am trying to get the max number then back down a touch when it gets a little loose As Grizz told me right away when I bought it, there is a lot to learn so take it easy and practice makes for a better ride. Good luck

Rootsy
When you had your boat rung out did you have the ss trimmed out a lot or was it pretty far in compared to a regular drive that you trim to the moon for top speed? I have yet to trim my drive past about a third out and I was just wondering what worked best for you when you were making all those fast runs Thank
Parnell

Rootsy
06-22-2009, 08:42 AM
SS took about half the trim as the Gen II if I recall correctly. Never went more than about 1/4 of the way up the gauge from full in with the SS.

Hedge,

I had GLM's on the mouse so I lost quite a bit of weight in the arse. The 16 likes to point it's nose to the sky so anything you can do to balance the fore / aft weight distribution helps.

As far the steering. All i was saying is that you can take "most" of the slop out of the steering by applying pressure slightly one way or another by actuating the internal P/S ram to apply pressure against the prop moment, in turn holding the gimble rigid. You'll then have only the slop in the tiller arm to P/S ram pin to contend with. Which in actuality, if under load won't move. Granted you will travel in a big arc.

I ran single ram add on and it took all slop out of the gimble at neutral steering. Didn't notice a great increase in stability but it gave me some piece of mind.

Sweet Cheekz
06-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks

mattyboy
06-22-2009, 08:53 AM
one thing that i did notice about Parnell's 16 is it ran very flat for a 16 and lead to more wetted surface which i always felt let the 16 run faster and more stable provided the HP is there which in rootsy case and parnell's it was

mike o
06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Being I/O's you are limited with what can be done, anyone who has done a bit of outboard stuff knows jacking the engine up pretty much does away with chine walk and can raise speed dramatically. I/O options: shorty, SS drive or raising the X none of which is cheap. But in the real scheme of things raising the prop shaft height will get you more speed then the same amount of $$ spent on the engine. Take the SS they are some cheap compared to building and engine capable of achieving the same speeds, it takes a lot of HP for every mile per hour gained!" take the SS, they are cheap compared to building an engine"...... Thats where Id go (SS) for more speed with the 4.3lx, 4 barrel vortec, If I could get one on an gen II (Jamie),:kingme::kingme::kingme:. My 95 16 with an SS and lighter after market exhaust would be interesting. Parnell I was really impresed with how your 16 seemed to handle with the speeds and your family on board at LG like Mat mentioned.

Rootsy
06-22-2009, 11:35 AM
" take the SS, they are cheap compared to building an engine"...... Thats where Id go (SS) for more speed with the 4.3lx, 4 barrel vortec, If I could get one on an gen II (Jamie),:kingme::kingme::kingme:. My 95 16 with an SS and lighter after market exhaust would be interesting. Parnell I was really impresed with how your 16 seemed to handle with the speeds and your family on board at LG like Mat mentioned.

All it takes is a couple of merc parts... an hour or two on the mill and some epoxy...

takes longer to get the stupid bell housing off and back onto the transom assy than it does to actually modify it. Or you MAY be able to fore-go the Gen II bellhousing modification and swap it out for a Gen I bellhousing into your Gen II transom assy. I was working on this route but couldn't find a cheap bellhousing to test the theory... So I just did the machine work...

BTW, in reply to MOP's post you quoted... I don't care HOW much HP you put under the hatch... Unless you get rod of that big lever arm... It is going to be a white knuckle ride... Well maybe with some 2 foot tabs on the back it may settle down... Otherwise.. good luck.

This was a rockin day on the St. Clair... GPS read 68.X after that run... against a 4 - 6 mph current...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSxFF9CEApY

Sweet Cheekz
06-22-2009, 11:52 AM
[quote=mike o;520999Parnell I was really impresed with how your 16 seemed to handle with the speeds and your family on board at LG like Mat mentioned.[/quote]

Thanks Guys
I am really happy with how much control I have in sloppy conditions It makes me happy to have my family feel safe while still running pretty fast. The video I posted a while back shows how flat my boat runs in waves. If I have given up a few miles an hour for that ride I can live with it. Cool video Rootsy Boat sounded great along with some stability Parnell

mike o
06-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks Guys
I am really happy with how much control I have in sloppy conditions It makes me happy to have my family feel safe while still running pretty fast. That video I posted a while back shows how flat my boat runs in waves. If I have given up a few miles an hour for that ride I can live with it.
Parnell ......did you get your oil pressure issue resloved?

Sweet Cheekz
06-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Motor is out Pan is off and I am heading out there right now to see what the issue is I will let you know Thanks
Parnell

AndyDiSario
07-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Sweet Cheekz,

Ref. post #23, how is a 62-gallon tank installed in a 16? What does this modification involve?

Andy DiSario

mattyboy
07-22-2009, 07:40 AM
I can't speak for Parnell as he really redesigned the front end of a 16 to an awesome outcome. Andy you have a 16 baby which I believe the bottom half is basically the same as a skisporter. On my 16 there were 2 bulkheads holding the tank in place the forward bulkhead also is the connecting point for the fwd lift ring . the rear bulkhead was just fwd of the floor locker

the sweet 16's had a 40 gallon tank and can be spotted by the fwd lift ring being way out by the nav lights. ( donzi moved the fwd bulkhead so as not to loose space in the floor locker)

So your choices are for more fuel capacity move bulkheads and all that entails and make a larger tank . or check out www.donzi.org look for the resto parts and the retro fit 34 gallon tank . that tank is designed to fit in the spot were an original fmt 23 dz was removed with only moving the back bulkhead and not impacting the floor locker or the lifting ring.

Rootsy detailed the install in the link

Sweet Cheekz
07-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Andy
Matty is right about the bulkhead in front of the tank and the lifting ring I took my lifting ring out, took that bulkhead forward of the tank out and then reglassed in a new one where the next bulkhead was, which was loose and too small anyways then ordered a tank to fit the whole space and 62 was what I got. I also glassed in a bunch of gussetts along the side stringers to help support the bigger tank and I doubled up the thickness of the two stringers running the length of the boat for more support. It was a fair amount of work but not real hard once the deck was off and I plan on the exact same program on my next boat. Its great to have the range and I love the attitude of the boat when I'm running in the chop Good luck either way
Parnell

Matty Do you have any info on the size of the fuel tank in a 21gt? It really looks small!

Sweet Cheekz
07-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Matty
Forgot to say anywhere but we replaced the oil pump and have not had any problems since Lake George It didn't look bad but fixed the problem so my gauge worked perfect and I saved the motor from blowing up I was pretty happy about that but really bummed about missing the entire run Just more motivation for next year.
Parnell

mattyboy
07-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Parnell,
I would imagine it could be a smaller 25 gallon classic type tank or maybe a larger 60 ish gallon tank depending on the vintage of the boat the early ones might be smaller and then later boats had a larger tank . My info on the GT says a 60 gallon tank from an early 70's brochure

well you're gonna bring "Shady Lady" next year right

looking fwd to it :)

Sweet Cheekz
07-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Matty
I have not got the deck off yet but the floor has a access hatch in the center of the cockpit and the end of the tank is halfway up that It can't be more than 4 feet long It looks deep but I can get a way bigger tank in there for sure I plan on bringing it if it's done. My goal is AOTH as my poker run shakedown then a liesurly 45 mph tour of Lake George. I just bought my drive and thats all set but no motor yet. I have a lot less to do on this boat so money willing it will be there
Parnell

Greg Guimond
08-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Drive height matters with the 16 to Rootsy's point. This is most likely why there are very few current 16 owners that routinely break 70 on GPS. Sure there are boats that did it 20 years ago under either myth or fact.

You won't get there without a nice small chop and even water regardless of how many ponies and prop of course is super critical.

But it sure is fun trying :crossfing: as long as you have the full vest and the tether attached for the inevitable "ejection" !!

olredalert
08-29-2009, 12:36 PM
------The GT21 I ordered new for myself in late 1971 with a Merc 427/#3 clubfoot combo had a 60 gallon tank. Its probable that lower horsepower combos like HM 351/Volvos may have had a smaller tank as standard because DONZI felt that those combos drank less. The larger tank would have been an option, in any event........Mr.Bill

Just Say N20
08-29-2009, 01:33 PM
I have to make a correction to the drawing on page one, which is done in the third hull drawing.

For every action, there is an equal, and opposite reaction. As the prop is spinning clockwise, it will exert a counter-clockwise rotational force on the hull.

Volvos spin to counter-clockwise, so those boats have the helm on the left to counteract this clockwise force on the hull.

Mercruisers spin clockwise, so they put the helm on the right side of the boat to counteract the counter-clockwise rotational force on the hull.

I guess it doesn't matter which chine hits first, and begins the oscillation, but now the drawing makes technical sense.

fasttrucker
08-29-2009, 02:49 PM
I wanted to chime-in on the chine-walking......On a outboard model,like mine if you get the lower mounts changed to solid mounts it stops the chine walking but you get a vibration,its not that bad.a trade-off.

Donziweasel
08-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Okie, sounds like you are enjoying my old boat. Glad you like it.:) 65 is a 16 ft boat is pretty impressive, faster than most, some have been faster, and some have been much faster.

The thing I found about your boat with regards to chine walk is try and keep tention into the torque of the prop on the wheel. Practice. There is more to driving a performance boat then most people realize.

When going straight, keep slight tention to starboard on the wheel. Keeps the boat from loading the port chine and creating the chine walk. I could keep it dead level WOT with NO chine walk like this.

Sucks when you have to turn to port though, better drop a little tab before you do......:wink:

MOP
08-29-2009, 05:37 PM
I wanted to chime-in on the chine-walking......On a outboard model,like mine if you get the lower mounts changed to solid mounts it stops the chine walking but you get a vibration,its not that bad.a trade-off.

You need to change all four mounts in sets either to solid or soft, you can not mix them.

fasttrucker
08-29-2009, 07:57 PM
You need to change all four mounts in sets either to solid or soft, you can not mix them.
What happend if you mix them?

mattyboy
08-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Sweet Cheekz ( Parnell)

what were your final speed numbers on the 16

with all the prop testing at the dustoff you really need a handicap sheet and a program to keep up with it ;)

Sweet Cheekz
08-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Hi Matty
75 has been it so far with a 26 3 blade from Grizz. It turns out that I have yet to go over 5000 rpms and the dyno sheet shows 400 horses at that point I am going to take the motor out this winter and have a few details attended to and find my other 60 horses With a few tweaks I am confident of low 80's I just decided to suspend any other testing this summer and go boating Its 70 all day and that has been great. Now with another project I will get at the 16 again this winter and be ready for spring. Cheers
Parnell

margo
08-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Friend of mine put a set of fins on his lower unit, runs nice and stable at 60..Not sure of the brand.

DonziBuoy
08-30-2009, 09:50 PM
I have a ski sporter, which has a nice round pad that is great for lower speeds, but it still scares me after 50 MPH. I do not have trim tabs, and I am not sure that would help, but after 50 she is "swiveling" on the pad part of the hull. I have tried a few props, and the one I like the most so far gives a good ride but it is not for speed. I found the cleaver prop 25 pitch wanted to torque the boat around was a handful and chine walked.

I wish I could get a plug in on what is the best, but I guess this is part of the fun of having the boat. You notice the chine on one of the members vids going around 70, my guess he has dialed in the trims to keep it straight.

Rootsy
08-31-2009, 08:10 AM
I have a ski sporter, which has a nice round pad that is great for lower speeds, but it still scares me after 50 MPH. I do not have trim tabs, and I am not sure that would help, but after 50 she is "swiveling" on the pad part of the hull. I have tried a few props, and the one I like the most so far gives a good ride but it is not for speed. I found the cleaver prop 25 pitch wanted to torque the boat around was a handful and chine walked.
I wish I could get a plug in on what is the best, but I guess this is part of the fun of having the boat. You notice the chine on one of the members vids going around 70, my guess he has dialed in the trims to keep it straight.

This video? That is me, goatee and my 16 (which has been sold). Too much trim, even with the SS and it'd chinewalk, especially in anything except dead perpendicular head on wave motion. Just had to find the sweet spot and dial it in. In the video I was running along side DougL in his 18 w/ about the same power and an SS... He had Ranman and Donzi Jen in the boat. We had em aired out and while mine was chinewalking that 18 rides like a cadillac at 80+. My 16 never had trim tabs btw...

Greg Guimond
08-31-2009, 08:50 AM
When is doubt, air it out .................

Schnoogie
08-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Where does one find conditions that support 55 plus?
I was in the bay last weekend (Chesapeke) and never made it over 47 due to chop, like 4 foot. I don't care still got to a destination that would have taken a hour more in a larger vessel.
16'S ARE SWEET!!

DC18
09-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Mid 60's is fast enough to play for me...don't need a bigger boat (have a 22' pontoon for stuff & people) & can cruise the lake at 50 all day...& jump waves ....It's really fun...though it does get really hairy when trimmed up..... Just wondered if all were like that. How do the 18's handle? Scott
My 18 starts to chine walk right at 65 to 65.5. With a full tank of fuel and one other person in the boat ( about same weight as me ) its not as bad and can usually get 66 to 67 mph before it starts. Am seriously
thinking full hyd steering.

Sweet Cheekz
09-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Am seriously
thinking full hyd steering.

I am betting no one on the board will try to talk you out of that! SC

Rootsy
09-01-2009, 08:09 AM
unless you have noticeable play in the gimble hydraulic steering isn't going to "fix" the chinewalking issue...

BigGrizzly
09-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Actually Jamie is right, except that Hydraulic steering will help you control it better. Been there and done it. As for the 55 thing all conditions are always different so today it could be 45 and tomorrow it can be 57 etc.

fasttrucker
09-01-2009, 01:08 PM
You need to change all four mounts in sets either to solid or soft, you can not mix them.Talked to the "outboard shop" they said its ok to mix them.

thescooter
09-01-2009, 02:34 PM
more power with the correct trim will remove the chime walk.
be very carefull with it.
i HAVE seen someone almost loss their boat and run it into to me. ( he said to pass me he had to trim up his boat it was walking Left and Right and his boat tunrned out of control in a chop) i was alert and turned behind him the other way, and have heard and read about some people THAT have lost there boat and life with not knowing how to handle the split second decsion .

DC18
09-02-2009, 12:38 AM
I am betting no one on the board will try to talk you out of that! SC

unless you have noticeable play in the gimble hydraulic steering isn't going to "fix" the chinewalking issue...
Agree :) with both of you. May help slightly. More seat trime required :boat:
May also consider trim tabs.

DC18
09-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Actually Jamie is right, except that Hydraulic steering will help you control it better. Been there and done it. As for the 55 thing all conditions are always different so today it could be 45 and tomorrow it can be 57 etc.
Yep :beer: have noticed the exact thing with conditions. I drive for what conditions will safely support and no more. Oh ya....still have lot's a'fun doing it :yes::yes:

Rootsy
09-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Agree :) with both of you. May help slightly. More seat trime required :boat:
May also consider trim tabs.

You'd be amazed at what different propeller geometry will do to the handling characteristics of the 16 hull at speed.

Greg Guimond
09-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Rootsy,
What prop did you have the most success with on your 16 as it pertained to handling?

Parnell,
What style and size prop are you currently running on your 16 hull as you target 80 on GPS?

Rootsy
09-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Most stable prop I ran with the 16 / SS combo was a Hydromotive Quad IV O/T. Technically it is designed for bass boats... Might not be the fastest but at the speeds I was running in that thing I was willing to lose a mph or two to have some form of stability...

DonziBuoy
09-02-2009, 02:21 PM
This video? That is me, goatee and my 16 (which has been sold). Too much trim, even with the SS and it'd chinewalk, especially in anything except dead perpendicular head on wave motion. Just had to find the sweet spot and dial it in. In the video I was running along side DougL in his 18 w/ about the same power and an SS... He had Ranman and Donzi Jen in the boat. We had em aired out and while mine was chinewalking that 18 rides like a cadillac at 80+. My 16 never had trim tabs btw...

Rootsy,

what is your outdrive? Yours is a lot more stable than mine, even at 70! Looks nice and smooth in your captain-ing.

Rootsy
09-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Rootsy,
what is your outdrive? Yours is a lot more stable than mine, even at 70! Looks nice and smooth in your captain-ing.

Alpha SS

DonziBuoy
09-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Rootsy,

what is your outdrive? What is the size of your prop? Yours is a lot more stable than mine, even at 70! Looks nice and smooth in your captain-ing.

Rootsy
09-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Rootsy,
what is your outdrive? What is the size of your prop? Yours is a lot more stable than mine, even at 70! Looks nice and smooth in your captain-ing.

Uh..... Alpha SS... Hydromotive Quad IV O/T... 27P RH (not that it means a hill of beans) in that video...

Magicallbill
09-03-2009, 01:05 AM
I can run my 16 in pancake-flat water; sight down the nose, and about hi-50's or so it starts oscillating..Drop it back a mite and it becomes rock-solid again.

Hi Rootsy..haven't been in touch for awhile..Hope you and yours are well....