PDA

View Full Version : Input shaft housing and bearings.

RAPID TRANSIT
06-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Gentlemen i have a Volvo 280 drive coupled to a sbc. I am not a boat mechanic but i do know my way around a tool box. I seem to have destroyed the flex plate attached to the flywheel and possibly the bell housing that contained the bearings the input shaft passes through to the outdrive. This leaves me with some questions.

1. Is the flex plate an automotive or marine part? I think marine.
2. Is the inner bell housing removable from the outer transom shield?
It looks like two seperate pieces to me.
3. Can I still get a housing if necessary?
4. Does anyone have an exploded view of what this should look like?
5. What lubriciates these bearings? The gentleman who sold me the
boat said the housing should contain an oil bath for the bearings. The local volvo boat mechanic said it should be packed with grease?

penbroke
06-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Bummer Dude...

1) Marine. Not hard to find but I don't have the info in front of me.
2) Nope. Sorry...
3) Don't know about new but you should have no problem finding a used one. I think f_inscreenname here may have one...
4) Poke around here (http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/vp_sch_fs.html).
5) Should be a grease fitting I think...

EDIT: 2) Yes, but the engine has to come out. I mis-read the question and thought you meant was it removable from the outside of the boat...

Frank

mrfixxall
06-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Gentlemen i have a Volvo 280 drive coupled to a sbc. I am not a boat mechanic but i do know my way around a tool box. I seem to have destroyed the flex plate attached to the flywheel and possibly the bell housing that contained the bearings the input shaft passes through to the outdrive. This leaves me with some questions.

1. Is the flex plate an automotive or marine part? I think marine.
2. Is the inner bell housing removable from the outer transom shield?
It looks like two seperate pieces to me.
3. Can I still get a housing if necessary?
4. Does anyone have an exploded view of what this should look like?
5. What lubriciates these bearings? The gentleman who sold me the
boat said the housing should contain an oil bath for the bearings. The local volvo boat mechanic said it should be packed with grease?

1) no its a marine part,looks like a clutch with out the clutch marerial and 3 wings instead of a circle.
2)yes, pull drive and engine and remove the 6 blots on the outside of the transm housing.
3)theirs alot of used parts available so you may be ableto get a housing,someone on board here may have one also.
4)look here with your transm type http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/vp_sch_fs.html
5) i packed my housing with greece (mobile 1 syn) oil seems to seep out after a whyle, i also installed a greese zurt where the screw on op of the house where the fill plug is..i give it a few shots of greece every 20 hrs of use.

6) good luck:)

mrfixxall
06-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Bummer Dude...
1) Marine. Not hard to find but I don't have the info in front of me.
2) Nope. Sorry...
3) Don't know about new but you should have no problem finding a used one. I think f_inscreenname here may have one...
4) Poke around here (http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/vp_sch_fs.html).
5) Should be a grease fitting I think...
Frank

HAHA !! well almost the same!

penbroke
06-19-2009, 10:00 AM
HAHA !! well almost the same!

Corrected above. We agree now. :)

Frank

Kirbyvv
06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Missed you at the dust-off this year. To bad, I sold a flex plate and bell housing to VonKamp here on the registry last year when I had to replace my motor. He was saving them for a future project, but may be willing to part with them.

MOP
06-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Below is the correct flex plate though they are all basically the same, no bell housings right this minute but check Ebay later and also Craigs List.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Engine-Coupler-Flex-Plate_W0QQitemZ300323784996QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat _Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item45ecb14924&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A1171|240%3A1318

Phil

RAPID TRANSIT
06-21-2009, 05:36 AM
I want to thank you guys for all of your help. It's nice to know that there is quality help and information at your fingertips. Of course all the knowledge that is bestowed upon me here is of the highest quality. I have rounded up all of my parts I think all I have to do now is put it back together.

BigGrizzly
06-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Try Osko exhausts, They had the flex plate, they sold me a bunch of stuff for mine. I got the inner bearing at Napa for mine, it was a sealed bearing