PDA

View Full Version : Travel from Philly to Chesapeake

ltl_mac2000
06-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Hey guys, I am typically a Jersey Shore boater but I have heard a lot of great stuff about the Chesapeake and surrounding area. I bought a trailer last season so now I am looking to expand by boating horizons.

I was wondering if any of you have experience traveling (by boat) from the Philly area to the Chesapeake. From the reading I have done so far, it looks like Delaware River to the C&D canal.

Can any of you give me an idea of what the ride would be like. Are there speed restrictions? Are there "no-wake" areas? Things I need to be cautious of? Keep in mind I'm in a 22. I know it's not the ocean, but I have heard about some pretty large wakes from the cargo ships.

Ultimately, I would like to spend a night or two down there, so any good marinas, bars, restaurants would be great to!!

I know we usually reserve this for mechanical stuff but thought this may be an interesting thread for people in this area to reference.

Looking forward to your suggestions and experiences.

Thanks,
Danny

BigGrizzly
06-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Its been done but I did not use the canal. I was lucky it was really calm. Long trip.

ltl_mac2000
06-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I don't think it is feasible for me without the canal. The only way I am going to do this is if I can run pretty hard most of the way down. It's not like my boat is a real "spread your wings and relax" type of ride.

I can trailer to Philly or maybe even Wilmington and then ride from there. I think alot depends on speed restrictions and water conditions in the canal.

undertaker
06-19-2009, 09:20 AM
No speed restictions in the canal, you have a no wake zone once you get to the Cheseapeake Inn Rest & the Old Schaeffers Rest., once you pass them you can run all the way out the canal, to the Elk River to Turkey Point (mouth of Elk River) from there you have a tone of options. Great place to boat Dr. Dan and myself boat down there all the time we launch at Anchor Marine in the Northeast River (top of bay fresh water).

The water conditions should not be a problem with a 22, unless its blowing 20 - 30 then it might get ugly.

Many places to stay on the bay, you could always tow down to Anchor Marine and launch from there, I live in Pottstown, PA about 1 1/2 hr drive for me no big deal.

Hope to see you down there some time look Dr. Dan and myself up if your down that way Dr. has a 28 Pantera I am running a red 22 classic....:):)

Undertaker:pimp:

ltl_mac2000
06-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the info.

Based on what I am seeing on the maps, the canal itself looks like it about 15 - 20 miles. So at 40/50 mph it shouldn't take me too long at all. I think the DE river should be about the same.

So where are the best spots to hang out? Someone I was talking to last week mentioned a place called Red Rocks (i think that was it...i know it had rocks in the name).

I will def look you guys up. I am thinking sometime late in the summer. Maybe I'll trailer the boat back home early and make a trip mid/lade August.

undertaker
06-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Some nice places to raft up, hang out are Lloyds Creek off Sassafras River, you are thinking of Red Point (I think) located in the Northeast River, Stillpond located down the bay from the Sassafras River to name a few. There are many rest., raft up spots on the Bay.

No problem look us up when you are thinking of heading down, would love to run with another donzi.....

HOWARD O
06-19-2009, 11:37 AM
I used to spend my summers on the Sassafras River. We once took my Dad's 20' Mark Twain from Bristol all the way down to Annapolis. It was a good ride, although I recall launching off a floating telephone pole and going completely through a tug's wake on the canal. :cool:

Granted, this was 35 years ago, but I don't think it's changed that much and should be a great ride in your boat! Boy, would I love to do that trip again. Brings back a lot of memories!

Good luck and TAKE PHOTOS!!!

ragbagger270
06-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Lower Delware River and Deleware Bay can get prettty rough in even moderate winds. I have transited them in a large craft and was pushing a lot of water.

MOP
06-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Up top and the rivers are hard to beat, but like mentioned above it can get real snotty when you get down into the main bays. The ride down from Phily is nice, if you continue past the canal there is a string of really neat cast iron light houses. When turn back north you will the canal is a nothing boring ride, I would. Charleston, North East, Harve de Garve are nice stops. I have been down a few times mostly with big boats, I enjoyed it every time as I am sure you will.

Phil

Dr. Dan
06-20-2009, 08:08 AM
:cool!:Rule of thumb on the Bay is watch the weather, usually we get Storms in the afternoon, anytime after 1:30pm on any given Summer Day. If the winds during the day have been steady than by the afternoon the Main Bay and Channel can get nasty as Ed says.

We used to go to Philly from Dundalk and the Inner Harbor all the time, it was dangerous at night but we were imortals and young dumb and full of *#@!

That was in the early 90's....man we had a blast. Invest in a Bay Chart, you can't go wrong...follow the channel markers, the C & D Canal has a 7 knot current on average...once you go into the Elk River and head towards the Bohemia, Sassafras and the NorthEast River it all meets the Susquehanna River at a lovely place called Turkey Point. This is a convergence of 5 flows of water and the Intercoastal Waterway, local boaters have learned to repesct this water and be vigilant in there travels through the area. Off to the Susqhuehanna is an area of hidden Flats which someone always runs aground in if they don't know the area. Follow the Channel area and no worries...plenty of room to run and no Crab Pots in the Channel.

Give us about 3 weeks notice, both Ed and I keep an active Poker Run Schedule and we would love to connect with some more Donzis. Mine (22 Classic)is on vacation this year due to a sudden illness - Broken Lifter Desease! Hopefully next Season it will rejoin the ranks of slow boat 22's like Carl C's and Roadtrips Flower Pot?

The Chesapeake Bay is one of the most spectacular Fresh Watersheds on the Planet. When I am done forming Donzi Clicks one day I will organize a Donzi Run there...of course it will be invitation only for only the really cool people to attend... :popcorn:

Just kidding.. actually its such a busy area - there must be a Poker Run going on every other weekend on the Bay. Most have stops at the Nauti Goose and the Chesapeake Inn on the Canal. Also your buddy might have also been referring to Red Eyes Dock Bar which is way down the Bay - across from Annapolis near the bridge. Also a stop for most large Poker Runs - including Rock the Bay.

Good Luck - Look Forward to Meeting You!

Doc of Random Aquisitions :cool!:

ltl_mac2000
06-20-2009, 09:02 AM
As usual..you guys are the always full of great information and I hope I get to meet up with a couple of you guys when I head down.

OK...so from everything I gathered so far, it looks like the trip itself shouldn't be too bad. I would def do an overnighter, so I will try to time the current heading down the Delaware and then a speedy trip through the canal. Based on what I am looking at on some maps, if I run 40 - 50MPH I should be able to make it from Philly to Chesapeake Inn in about 1.5 - 2 hours, maybe faster if I press it. That's not terrible if you aren't getting beat up. If the weather is bad, I probably would just trailer further down to avoid the @ss whoopin' (girlfriend doesn't mind fast, just can't handle the bumps).

I am still a little weary on where to go/stay though. I have seen Turkey point mentioned in this forum and others several times but is that just for anchoring/rafting, or are there bars/restaurants to dock at??

Is the Chesapeake Inn the heart of where I want to be, or once I hit there am I just getting started? Any recommendations for a place that you can dock and stay overnight would be great. Looks like Chesapeake Inn has a B&B attached. Anyone ever stay there?

I have heard how beautiful it is down there and that is why I really want to make this trip. Just need to have a good plan! In the short time I have been in this world, I have learned that having a good plan is very important!!

fasttrucker
06-20-2009, 12:49 PM
I like jellyfish joels on fairlee creek at the great oaks marina.I was there last weekend had a lobster sandwich at the beach .They are now open at the beach bar on friday nights(band) they have a motel.Ive stayed there twice now.Very nice:wink: they bring in palm trees for the beach in the spring.That would make for a nice weekend.I would trailer down here like doc.dan and the undertaker.But be warned once you come down here you wont want to boat anywhere else!:cool!:

Dr. Dan
06-20-2009, 02:01 PM
:cool!: I would stay up in NorthEast personally - Jelly Fish Joels is a great place to visit but its 20 miles South of Turkey Point and it is at the Apex of Upper Bay Big water if it comes to pass.

North East is protected - has lots of local Hotels and you can get a slip at Anchor Marine or the Nauti Goose if you plan ahead. The Ches. Inn is nice and many larger boats do overnite there - but its crowded and very active area...not where I would want my 22 unless I was on it.

You can email me directly at drdan93@comcast.net and I can give you other suggestions.

2nd half of July and early August is a good time to come around for the weekend. We can take you guys to some of the local hang outs for starters - there is too much to see in one weekend. I have boated there for years and have not been everywhere... so What Ever thats worth.

Doc of the Bay :kingme:

Schnoogie
06-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Just go and enjoy it, Just use the head and check the weather, you will not be disapointed.
Should take about 2.5 hours

TBroccoli
06-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Jackson Marna holds a Donzi only Poker run every year. its a lot of fun. she can set you up wth a place to stay. I've gone the past 4 yrs and have had a great time every year. go to the marina web page to get a hold of her. Hope to see you there.