PDA

View Full Version : Gift Cards!

MOP
06-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Not sure how many of you have been stuck with:

Small balances and unable to cash it in, I know I have almost $60 tied up in three cards myself.

Monthly fee reducing cards value, very common with store/mall cards. My local Tanger Mall charges $1.50 a month.

Expiration date, many die after one year.

Returning an item for refund on an item you paid cash for but got a gift card to be used only at the store or other vendor.

I was at a party the other night and the subject of gift cards came up, about 80% of the people had one complaint or another. Many got cards as a gift only to find that if if forgotten and not spent immediately the value was greatly reduced, dummy me had a $50 Best Buy card lost in my draw that was worthless when I found it.

IMO it is another card scam that is netting companies a fortune locking you dollar in, there seems to be no end to screwing the public in one way or another.

Carl C
06-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Some are shady, some are not. I write handwritten credit slips at my store in duplicate. I adjust the amount on both copies as they are redeemed. There is no expiration date and I inform my customers that if they lose it, no sweat, I have a copy and they'll just need to sign a receipt voiding the slip if it's found later. I voted for scam but you should have included more options because not ALL are scams.