PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline damaging the paint?

IwannaDonziZX
06-18-2009, 03:37 PM
So I filled the boat up with gas a few weeks back and didn't use the boat. The weather warmed up so I assume some gas leaked out of the fuel filler vent. I can't believe it stripped off some paint and left a huge mess of what looks like tar down the side that won't come off, anyone have any suggestion on how to fix? anyone ever seen this before?

I did have the boat in for some paint repairs last month, but that was closer to the front of the boat, I was wondering if they could have done something, removed wax, or clearcoat etc.. I've obviously put gas in the boat before without a problem..

mrfixxall
06-18-2009, 03:46 PM
So I filled the boat up with gas a few weeks back and didn't use the boat. The weather warmed up so I assume some gas leaked out of the fuel filler vent. I can't believe it stripped off some paint and left a huge mess of what looks like tar down the side that won't come off, anyone have any suggestion on how to fix? anyone ever seen this before?

I did have the boat in for some paint repairs last month, but that was closer to the front of the boat, I was wondering if they could have done something, removed wax, or clearcoat etc.. I've obviously put gas in the boat before without a problem..

looks like i can see a masking line around the vent,looks like the paint or clear wasntn't fully cured yet and gas got behind the paint..fuels nowadays are really harmful to fresh paint. the only way to fix it is to repaint it and leave it sit for 30 days to cure or dont fill it up all the way until it cures.

that really sucks!

Also that vent tube needs to come off when its repainted.then needs to be sealed so the gas cant get behind it so it wont happen again..

looks like the place that repaired your paint may have cleared the whole side of the boat.