PDA

View Full Version : flip vs pop-up cleat...

ZekesterbluH3
06-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Pros and cons, I'm looking at 4-1/2" cleats, the flip style, you only have to drill the two stud holes, they stick up 1/2"...pop-up the larger cut out, flip a lot less $$...price is an issue for me...

any opinions? are there drawbacks to the flip style?

Pismo
06-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Of those 2, go flip up. Old standard attwood cleats are far stronger than either.

CHACHI
06-18-2009, 07:06 AM
I went with the Atwood "Neat Cleat" a pull up style.

Factory install on some 22's and only 2 holes to drill.

Ken

MOP
06-18-2009, 08:37 AM
I went with 6" pop ups thinking they appeared a bit stronger, probably mute our trailer queens rarely experience storm conditions. Mine has only seen super bad conditions once up at 1K.

zelatore
06-18-2009, 09:50 AM
I went with 6" pop ups thinking they appeared a bit stronger, probably mute our trailer queens rarely experience storm conditions. Mine has only seen super bad conditions once up at 1K.

I too have 6" pop-ups on mine. But I think you nailed it - just about anything will cover it for the average Classic owner who keeps his boat on a trailer most nights.

VetteLT193
06-18-2009, 10:07 AM
The pop ups look best in my opinion. They are very flush to the deck when down and don't look funky like the others do.

They even make one that doubles as a lifting ring, so I doubt strength would ever be an issue.

ZekesterbluH3
06-18-2009, 10:10 AM
thanks for the heads up on the neat cleat, price wise...the neat cleat goes with two 7/8 holes in the deck, the flip up you only need two 3/8" holes for the studs...

price wise they are within $5, online anyway...

for a 4-1/2" cleat both the flip up and neat cleat stick up 1/2 inch...

VetteLT193
06-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Oh... and by the way, I did mine wrong. I have 2 in the stern, centered to the hatch on each side. those are good. Then I have one centerline in the front. That one was a stupid choice. If I did it over I'd put one on each side just in front of the windshield so you can get to it without climbing all the way to the bow.

You could probably even get away with 1 centerline just in front of the windshield pushed as far forward as you can still reach it from the cockpit.

After all, if you are ever tied up overnight you can always use the lifting rings too.

Pismo
06-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I like this placement and use the bow lift eye. Very much out of the way.

MOP
06-18-2009, 12:31 PM
I have mine very similar to Pismo, up front I stood in the cockpit and leaned slightly forward to see where a comfortable reach was. They ended up about 11-12 inches ahead of the windshield, that made it easy for me to tend lines and dock, I can almost always loop a dock cleats without leaving the helm. I planned it that way so could watch Bonnie leap great gaps to secure the stern :biggrin.::biggrin.:

yeller
06-18-2009, 11:50 PM
This is what I want:
http://www.strongmarine.com/autocleat.asp

Cool product. Can't find a price though.

Ghost
06-18-2009, 11:53 PM
I have mine very similar to Pismo, up front I stood in the cockpit and leaned slightly forward to see where a comfortable reach was. They ended up about 11-12 inches ahead of the windshield, that made it easy for me to tend lines and dock, I can almost always loop a dock cleats without leaving the helm. I planned it that way so could watch Bonnie leap great gaps to secure the stern :biggrin.::biggrin.:

LOL, you would LOVE the Blarney Stone...

MOP
06-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Yeller though very cool those cleats leave me thinking about the sharp ends and them being electric.

ZekesterbluH3
06-19-2009, 12:48 PM
This is what I want:
http://www.strongmarine.com/autocleat.asp

Cool product. Can't find a price though.

yes cool cleat, but then I if I have that...I'm taking work from the blonde hottie...and she is so good at lines and cleats...