PDA

View Full Version : St Tropez spotted on green wood lake!

Tank
06-17-2009, 07:57 PM
That’s right it hit the water for the first time !!!
Now the good the bad and the ugly!
The specks stock Volvo 350 290-1.61 dr and a Ron hill 15x21 prop.
She hit 50 GPS mph at 4100 and that was it did not have much time and should have plaid with trim more but did not.
I must say it shot out of the water and on plane fast! But no top end!
Looking for 60 how much rpm do I pickup with 1in less OD? 15 to 14
But hay it ran good and drove it back to the trailer so it was a good day!
If you like photos here you go.

Brain
PS next time I try the 14x24 ultra I know old tec

mattyboy
06-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Tank

your in my back yard and you don't call??? ;)

boat looks good

you put in at moosehead let me know the next time your up I have some volvo props you can try
let me know if i can help
we can get a boat or two to run with ya

let me know

chappy
06-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Nice.

:pimp:

mattyboy
06-17-2009, 08:14 PM
and inch of pitch or diameter is approx 200 rpm

sure it is a 1.6???

my 351w 250 volvo 1.6 spun a spinelli 14.5 X 21 to well over 5000 rpm

I have a 25 chopper
a 26 cleaver
a 23 round ear
a 21 spinelli
and a 22 ultra (needs a hub)
and a 24 ultra

JimG
06-18-2009, 06:02 AM
I get 5000rpm and 55mph from a 23" Ultra.

Whoops, I meant 5000rpm, not 5200 rpm.

Morgan's Cloud
06-18-2009, 07:03 AM
I was wondering where you were Brian .......

It's about time ! How did you make out in the end ? The bow rail came out pretty good eh ?

If your doing 50 GPS with what you have , I'd say that's about as good as your going to get..

My old 351W/Alpha in PERFECT tune/spec hit 4200 (as recommended) with the 1.50:1 gears and a 21' prop.

Yes .. lotta punch but not much more than 50 ..

Steve

Tank
06-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi all and tamks
I should add the lake was flat and full load of fuel 2bat and tool boxs + one big ape at the wheel 270ish
Mattyboy I might take you up on the prop testing. Yes Moosehead is whare I go.
The big ? Dose diameter & pitch make the same drop in rpm
or do you get more with -1" d than 1" p? I think its 1" of D = 2"of p?
Yes 1.61 on the tag and looks untouched.
JimG tanks for the input? I have to try the ultra 24! I must admit I think its to much But have to try! I think I need a 21 or 22 and hope it gets to 60 MPH
Chappy Tanks not bad in the photos is she. still need some seat covers and floor covering that will come in time.
Last but not least
STEVE How goes it?
I had a very bad last summer House was robed, I broke my hand, Wife had surgery went bad 9 months later had some more to fix things, sold my armored car [tank] Very little time for the boat and am not good at this keyboard thing.
I went out the other day and made all the mistakes Batteries were flat from all the trailer running got out and found the secondarys did not open and after some fettling with it got her up on plane and found the secondary did not close all the way lots of fun only had 1 hr on the water
but it was a start. No to work out the bugs.
How is that good looking boat you have doing? I need to see a photo of it
pop one up here.
One more thing it will go faster then 50 if i have to go on a diet!
Good to here from you and good to be back.

Morgan's Cloud
06-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Sorry for the delay Brian , I was off for a 'longish' weekend .....

Sounds like last year was a writeoff for sure.

I keep forgetting (sorry) that you have that odd engine , not a 351 ...

If you're having minor carb issues , probably due to very long layup , I'd recommend going through it thoroughly before any more attempts at prop experimenting. If you're not getting a full WOT due to carb , you would'nt believe the difference it makes. I had the same issue many years ago too !
If everything's in good shape you ought to be able to spin that prop to 5000 on the tach. IMO , the 24 will be too much .

I'm still getting jerked around waiting on the prop set for mine ... Yes , they did finally show up last week ... from Feb. of this year ! ! Except they were damaged. :mad:

NO summer last year either due to inexcuseably long time to arrange lower unit swap-over and this one looks more iffy with each passing weekend..

When I am ready to splash , I will try to get a few shots for you ..

Steve

captdennisgray
06-22-2009, 10:05 PM
V E R Y Nice St T ..... Hope my '76 St T comes out looking half as nice.. hope the props get you closer to the speed you are looking for.. Will be curious as to the best choice... I am in the process of changing out the stock 302.....

Good luck with the St T ...

Tank
06-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Hi Captin
Tanks for the reply and the complement still deed to redo the deck and seats. But must have some fun first!
Rain Rain go away!!!! I need time when its not rainy to go out and test the 14X24 ultra.
Yours is very is very good looker I like the yellow!:yes:
Brian

Tank
06-24-2009, 10:02 AM
ups Steve did not see your reply. my bad
Sorry to here your still chasing props must be very frustrating with the shipping time.
I know i should rebuild the carb ran very good on the trailer HA HA how many time have we herd that I should and do know better just getting lazy.
My motor is a 570A Volvo penta 350 275hp I thought it was 307hp cant fined what makes the extra hp cam , comp or tuning? 32 is a lot for tuning I think its cam wish i could fined some cam spec from Volvo or GM both motors turn 4200-5200 rpm. Don't forget that Ron hill was a 15x 21 plus cup.
Hope and pray we both have better summers this year!
If I can hoke up with mattyboy or some one ells I will try and get a photo of my boat on the run or if lucky Ill air it out.
Brian

mattyboy
06-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Tank,

I am around week nights on tuesdays and around all day on saturday

wed thurs fri nights and sun afternoons I am working the back bar at emerald point rest. and marina on greenwood lake stop by best burgers and clams in town.

we can throw a prop or two on it to try ;)

Tank
06-24-2009, 04:18 PM
:cool!: A new place to eat now you have my attention!
I will try to brake out this Saturday am
I might like to tri that 14x21 spinly if you have not sold it this Ron hill is a LARGE EAR thing 15in and cup I might spin the Spinnily faster?
I read some where some one had a 22 ultra that needed a hub?
Brian

mattyboy
06-24-2009, 09:46 PM
yup i have a 22 ultra lh in very good shape it had the weak hub in it and i spun it, let me know about sat

Tank
06-25-2009, 08:09 AM
GOOD Morning! Mattyboy
Hi looks like we are good to go on sat 9:00am ish at MH
See you if you can make it if not its OK see you next time!
Hope the weather holds out:crossfing:
Brian

mattyboy
06-25-2009, 08:14 AM
ok i will shoot to be there weather permitting

Tank
07-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Hi all I hope you all had a happy and safe 4th of July!
I did I got the boat out or in 8:00am two hr of playing and got this 14x24 ultra ran 55@4300/4400 still burning mix of fuel 1/2 tank last year 1/2 new Best I can fig the gear must be close to 1.5. I am going on the ##s
15x21 plus cup .10 slip and the ultra .15 what do you think?
I would like to try a 14x22 see if we can get closer to 5000@60mph
Must say I did like the ultra cruse at 40 I think was 3000 I forgot my pen and paper.:nilly:

mattyboy
07-05-2009, 10:27 AM
.15 on the ultra sounds right probably 1.6 ratio, i have the marina checking on the hub repair on the 22 i have

Tank
07-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi Mattyboy
cant get the ###s to addup with 1.6 but that is what the tag on the drive tells me.
Whould have calld you but had small window of time and the 4th and all I fig you would be bissssy.
Y are we inside now its so nice out go cut the grass or boatting or somthing:wink: I just stoped for lunch.
Brian

mattyboy
07-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Tank
was really nice to met you yesterday, you may feel the boat is not up to snuff. That is not the case you have a 40 yr old piece of history, she may be showing her age a little but she has all her hardware and is a great platform for a restoration. She performs well and runs very smooth, without much effort she is running mid 50's. was my first ride in a St tropez alot different feeling from a hornet ride. :)
If i can help you in anyway give me a call
I am still puzzled why she can turn a 24 ultra to 4400 and could only get the 21's to only 4100 I guess the hill and spinelli have alot of cup a low slip. the ultra have some slip so I think the 22 ultra will put her in her wheelhouse
keepus posted and remember that lake george is not that far away ;)
great boat

Tank
07-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks For your help and the complement.
I think it was a combination of CUP and the larger Diameter of the hill & spinelli that brought the rpm down, we know the ultra has lots of slip.
I think the slip helps a small HP motor to some existent.
Lets face it you can’t beat HP.
I am starting to think that spinnelli mite not be so bad, did we brake 50 mph with the two of us and 1/2 tank fuel? See I don’t know if the ultra will do that?
You can spend lots of time playing with this.
Tanks
PS thanks for the photos I had my camra and forgot to ask you to take some:bonk:

BUIZILLA
07-19-2009, 09:40 AM
is this the same St Tropez we saw 2 years ago at LG?

mattyboy
07-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Jim,

no the one you are thinking of is a blue and white one that David Hartmann owns he was there this year but had other commitments he could only runa few cards stops then had to leave that boat is a sbc and a merc this one is a sbc and a volvo 290

is this the one you are thinking of??

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/gallery/v/2009Dustoff/satrun/P6130898.JPG.html

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/gallery/v/2009Dustoff/satrun/P6130899.JPG.html

mattyboy
07-19-2009, 09:56 AM
I am sure this will put the purists on their ear,but I would love to see one with a molded sun pad triple bolster power hatch combo in the back a nice t top and some rocket launchers and leave the front stock with an ilmor indy pkg. :yes: