PDA

View Full Version : Battery recommendation help

zedohsix
06-17-2009, 12:11 PM
need a new battery for my sweet 16, 350 merc 300hp what is a good choice
:canada:

Ghost
06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
I have NOT been happy with West Marine double duty (starting and deep cycle use) batteries. Other than that, don't know yet.

fogducker III
06-17-2009, 12:18 PM
need a new battery for my sweet 16, 350 merc 300hp what is a good choice
:canada:

I have good luck with the Optima marine battery, I know some here don't like them and think they are expensive but I got mine from Lordco when they had them on sale a while back for $149............:eek::yes: Canadian!!!!

mrfixxall
06-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Interstate! got 9 yrs on mine:)

MOP
06-17-2009, 09:15 PM
West Marine and many other marine supply batteries are not what they used to be, two in row have died way short of what they should have. I now buy my marine batteries from my local auto parts ware house, one is three years old and still strong the other is two years and also fine.
One thing that is important when buying a new battery is not to buy one of larger capacity then needed! A few of us old timers up keep stating that, reason being is any battery to have a decent life span must be worked. I can not count how many super big cranking power batteries I have pulled out of boats after just one season, where as one matched to its usage will live a very long time. I myself run two group 27 w/750 cranking power for my 383, in my 16 with the 302 I had a single group 24 I sold that boat with that three year old battery still cranking away!

b.guggenmos
06-17-2009, 09:31 PM
I just recently read on another forum about this very subject for drag racing. Optima was the popular choice for sometime but it seems like the failure rate has increased. Someone jumped in whose father worked in the plant where Optimas were produced and it had been shut down and now they all come from Mexico along with a higher failure rate.

The battery of choice now is for Lifeline batteries. Almost all of Nascar uses them along with medic, fire and ambulances. I googled Lifeline battery and they have rv/marine batteries. Plus they are made right here in the USA.

Maybe someone on the forum has some input on these batteries.

Johnson Controls is probably the biggest battery maker but not the best in my opinion. We used Delco batteries in police cars for years and then suddenly had high failures. Delco batteries went from Delphi to Johnson Controls. Now we use Deka which are doing pretty well so far.

Good luck on your quest, Brian

gcarter
06-17-2009, 09:44 PM
I've mentioned previously my battery of choice is the appropriate sized battery I can buy at Sams Club/Walmart. They come w/a two year replacement warranty and you're never very far away from a WalMart for replacement.
I really don't care if it lasts one year or ten, ya need to be able to replace it when it fails.
There's a WalMart at Page, AZ next to Lake Powell for instance. Ya don't get much more remote than that.

penbroke
06-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Interstate in the Donzi. Only place I can find one to fit the early "race type" battery mount. Costco house brand in all the other boats.

Frank
Hey, that's my boat!

gonzojessie
06-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Im with the wal-mart batteries, easy to replace and there's a woly world on every corner it seems.