PDA

View Full Version : New Member

burgettw
06-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Hey everyone im new to the forum im from Alabama and I just bought my first Donzi 25cc R and come to fine out on my second trip sat it needs a new lower unit becuase it has a crack in it and they are pretty expensive around here so may be a while before using it again

mrfixxall
06-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Hey everyone im new to the forum im from Alabama and I just bought my first Donzi 25cc R and come to fine out on my second trip sat it needs a new lower unit becuase it has a crack in it and they are pretty expensive around here so may be a while before using it again

Did you say you hit somthing whyle underwayand cracked the drive? check with your insurance copany and see if you have what they call under water insurance,they wll rebuild it with a lower case or replace it:)

burgettw
06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Did you say you hit somthing whyle underwayand cracked the drive? check with your insurance copany and see if you have what they call under water insurance,they wll rebuild it with a lower case or replace it:)

lol yea Ill call and ask but not sure what happened it ran fine all day about about to load it on trailer and wouldnt go into foward gear but reverse works fine and guy at shop said the case was craked I dont know how you tell with out pullng it apart.

Donzi Vol
06-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Sorry for the stroke of bad luck. I'm sure you'll find a way to work it out...it could always be worse in boating. Welcome to the board/addiction!

All the best,
David

Barry Eller
06-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Welcome to Donziland! What part of Alabama do you hail from? I hope your drive problem is minor.

burgettw
06-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Welcome to Donziland! What part of Alabama do you hail from? I hope your drive problem is minor.

Yea me to but im close to Gulf Shores about 30 miles north of there in a town called Silverhill
And does anyone know how much this boat is worth? nada and kbb said way less then what other ppl told me and figured you guys would know beter than anyone else

burgettw
06-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Anyone?

Carl C
06-19-2009, 08:17 AM
I would guess you have a Bravo 3 but if it's a Bravo 1 I have a like new take off lower just sitting here. It has two seasons of freshwater use on it. We'd have to discuss the price and shipping will be a beotch. It sounds to me like you hit a stump or rock and insurance will cover that.

Barry Eller
06-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Yea me to but im close to Gulf Shores about 30 miles north of there in a town called Silverhill
And does anyone know how much this boat is worth? nada and kbb said way less then what other ppl told me and figured you guys would know beter than anyone else

Hey, I know where Silverhill is. Gulf Breeze is across the bay from Pensacola. I sometimes go to Lulus in Gulf Shores. As to the value of your boat...I really don't know, as the times are tough now, they are worth what someone will pay or sell for. That is not always a good thing either.

burgettw
06-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Yea I hear you I go to lulus all the time and not to far thats where I bought my boat from was gulf breeze. and about the stump I dont think I hit anything you can't visibly see a crack thats just what guy told me at local boat shop because had alot of water in it

burgettw
06-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I would guess you have a Bravo 3 but if it's a Bravo 1 I have a like new take off lower just sitting here. It has two seasons of freshwater use on it. We'd have to discuss the price and shipping will be a beotch. It sounds to me like you hit a stump or rock and insurance will cover that.

Im not sure how to send you a pm but what is the Bravo 1 or 3? so maybe if you can message me I can give you my phone number and we can talk about prices and stuff

MOP
06-19-2009, 11:51 AM
First off welcome!! Now it could very well be the prop shaft seal, not going into gear because of water is a bit strange. Do you know the model of the drive? That helps with the though process!..

Phil

burgettw
06-19-2009, 11:54 AM
No sir I sure Dont I just got it back lastnight from the shop so I will take a look at it and let you know the numbers...maybe that will help

Donzi Racer
06-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Hey there fellow Alabama Donzi owner. We are from the north alabama area but are in florida now. Grew up in Mobile though. The one great thing you did not have to pay extra for when you bought your Donzi, is the Donzi family that you have now. These guys on this site are marvelous about helping other Donzi owners with their questions, problems and concerns. There are inexpensive alternatives to going out and buying a brand new lower unit from a marina so take what you get from these guys & it will save you money and be good for your boat. What you need to do is let us know the engine size and the outdrive namebrand & model you have. A good picture of the outdrive will possibly accomplish that. Then we can easily help you make a more informed decision on how to take care of your problem. By the way if you think real hard, I do think you will remember exactly at what point that you hit that submerged item as you were bringing the boat into the ramp area to put it on the trailer. That is why the boat would not go on in forward and will most assuredly be covered by your insurance policy!!!!!

As far as price range, the Nada on Donzi's do not do them justice, especially the older models like yours. The price of a Donzi you are looking at is important but once you own it, don't worry about it as much because it is the fun factor from that point on. Some of the Donzi guys will pay more for a motor for their rigs every few years than your boat cost you. Also with Donzi's there can be huge differences in price depending on how they have been taken care of & the condition they are in. Yours looks great and looks to have some expensive add ons. The main thing is if I had all these brothers & sisters on this Donzi Registry 10 & 20 years ago, I would not have the entire wardrobe of T-Shirts that say "Been There Done That" as far as being taken advantage of, when it comes to taking care of my Donzi's. Anyone that has a horror story about mechanic abuse, I could make your skin crawl with some of mine. ha ha But that is why we have insurance. Please feel free to email me at mishunaire@aol.com if I can help in any way. Also there is another Donzi enthusiast real close to you by the name of Ben or Apollo on the Donzi registry. He is in the boat business and could maybe offer you some advise of where you need to take your Donzi when you are ready to get it fixed.

As usual I digress and write a book when I put in my 2cents worth.

Great luck and welcome to the Family! Tom (Jus a Racin!)

Carl C
06-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Im not sure how to send you a pm but what is the Bravo 1 or 3? so maybe if you can message me I can give you my phone number and we can talk about prices and stuff

If you have TWO propellers (counter rotating), you have a Bravo 3 and I can't help you. If you have a single prop look at what it says on the drive. Unless all the stickers are gone it should say Alpha (heaven forbid on a boat that big!) or Bravo. If it's Bravo i may be able to help you. If not, lowers aren't all that expensive anyway. You can call me at 248-330-0048 if you'd like.

Check out this site: http://www.sterndrive.cc/

burgettw
06-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks alot guys!!! Thats alot of help and some much needed info of someone I can trust because all these boat dealers are giving me the loop around and I want to learn so if this happens again but just for the lower around here the cheapest I have found is 1,000 used with 30 day warranty and 1,973 Re-man and 1yr warranty but that site for the whole outdrive is alot cheaper but I will try to get my girl friends camera tonight and take picstures and get the numbers...and as far as insurance I have only had insurance on it since last friday so I dont know if that is a smart move lol. But again thanks for all of your help I really appreciate it

boxy
06-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Carl, is that your original B1 lower ?

Carl C
06-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Carl, is that your original B1 lower ?

Yes. I really planned to keep it for a spare but if it helped a Donzi bro get back on the water.....

Donzi Racer
06-19-2009, 08:30 PM
If you have TWO propellers (counter rotating), you have a Bravo 3 and I can't help you. If you have a single prop look at what it says on the drive. Unless all the stickers are gone it should say Alpha (heaven forbid on a boat that big!) or Bravo. If it's Bravo i may be able to help you. If not, lowers aren't all that expensive anyway. You can call me at 248-330-0048 if you'd like.

Check out this site: http://www.sterndrive.cc/

Carl, I do believe they made that boat with a 454 or a 350 engine. Not sure, but would they have put a bravo with a 350 cu in engine? If it is a alpha, it would be much more inexpensive to fix. I am just curious to see what power and drive it has. Tom

PS has these serial #'s on outdrive-Model no. 985689

Eng. 5.7/8 L

and something No. T0641687
Wouldn' that be a alpha with a 5.7 engine? T

burgettw
06-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Model no. 985689

Eng. 5.7/8 L

and something No. T0641687 the part before No. was unable to be read

this is all I got off the tag hope this helps and here are the pics

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/chevyman350_82/101_0466.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/chevyman350_82/101_0467.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/chevyman350_82/101_0468.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/chevyman350_82/101_0469.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/chevyman350_82/101_0470.jpg

K. thats all the photos I got but I do not know why oil is coming out of that wheep hole and you can def. tell it has water in it and with the photo with the close up with the bolt is that a fresh water flush because thats what boat guy said but it is as loose as can be

zelatore
06-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Carl, I do believe they made that boat with a 454 or a 350 engine. Not sure, but would they have put a bravo with a 350 cu in engine? If it is a alpha, it would be much more inexpensive to fix. I am just curious to see what power and drive it has. Tom

PS has these serial #'s on outdrive-Model no. 985689

Eng. 5.7/8 L

and something No. T0641687
Wouldn' that be a alpha with a 5.7 engine? T

No impact on this thread, but yes, Merc did put Bravo's behind 350's. I drove an older 28 Carver just today with a 350/260 hp and a Bravo II.

(and quite the speed machine it was....)

Carl C
06-20-2009, 07:29 AM
So what is it? I can't tell. It's seen better days though.

Barry Eller
06-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Cobra...

Probably fixable unless the housing is broken..
Yep, OMC. Not Mercruiser.

burgettw
06-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Yep, OMC. Not Mercruiser.

Do you know why oil is coming out of that wheep hole? and that model number I posted up there is it a certain one that I need to know about so when I get ready to order one? If I want the upper unit also?

mrfixxall
06-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Do you know why oil is coming out of that wheep hole? and that model number I posted up there is it a certain one that I need to know about so when I get ready to order one? If I want the upper unit also?

probably a bad seal,one of the shafts may have a seal cut groove in it or the case is rotted out from salt water..

Looks like a pin hole in the case(perocity) with it being a cobra drive it may be cheeper getting a used one with all that's wrong with the drive thats on the boat..

Barry Eller
06-22-2009, 07:19 PM
If you can do the repairs yourself...go for it.

Here is a OMC dealer in Pensacola that I deal with. He is trustworthy. Jack Wills at Wills Marine. Tell him I sent you. www.willsmarine.net

Barry

burgettw
06-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks barry I'll call him today see if maybe he has a used one

burgettw
06-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Update on the outdrive...I may not be as bad as I thought couple of my seals were destroyed and the exhaust bellow has a small hole in it so I am gonna go today and but upper and lower seal kit and my bellows but playing with it and all lastnight it seems to me it just wasnt adjusted right with the shifter linkage all the gears and all seem to be ok but I am just hoping and praying this will solve my problem so I can be back out on the water soon