PDA

View Full Version : Gettin too old I guess...

harbormaster
06-16-2009, 05:27 PM
The wife and I took out the 22 a couple of weeks ago. After getting back we both agreed that the boat was entirely too freakin loud!

We could not hear the radio even when idling through a no wake zone.

Someone at the ramp said that they even hear me at the ramp when I was just entering the lake.

So with that said I scrounged a pair of mufflers from our stash at the shop and installed them.

Gettin too old I guess...

SilverBack
06-16-2009, 05:36 PM
How did those work?

Oh..and Dana tabs too...how do you like them?

harbormaster
06-16-2009, 06:02 PM
The mufflers quieted it down a bit. The tabs are eddie marine units.

They were on the boat when I got it. They are Veeeeeeeerrrrrrryyyyy touchy. They also make great swim platforms...

Donziweasel
06-16-2009, 06:23 PM
how much did it quiet it down? Any chance under 92 decibles? Gonna have to get something for one of my lakes in the Park.

MOP
06-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Mine being a small bock its bark is weaker the a big block, but on a 15-20 mile run the tune coming from out back gets real old. I have a set of Gil mufflers that allows conversation at speed, kind of wish I had Q&Q but the headers are to long!

Carl C
06-16-2009, 06:24 PM

My unmuffled 525 makes the sweetest music of all! Unfortunately they are cracking down on noise on the local lake so I may look into some clamp ons even though it'll probably still fail the legal test. I'll still let it roar on the Great Lakes where no one cares.

Ghost
06-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Those look a lot like the ones I have, but mine are on the inside, squeezed in between the risers and the transom.

Jraysray
06-16-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't have the punch under the hatch that you do but mine is bearable. JimG seems to like the way mine sounds. I was told it rates less than 90 db.

MDonziM
06-16-2009, 09:53 PM
The mufflers quieted it down a bit. The tabs are eddie marine units.

They were on the boat when I got it. They are Veeeeeeeerrrrrrryyyyy touchy. They also make great swim platforms...

Are the tabs 28's? How would you describe the handling/stability vs the standard bennetts?

MOP
06-17-2009, 12:58 AM
He got rid of the Wing Ding for Vroom Vroom!

Lenny
06-17-2009, 01:11 AM
AND YOU CARE what other people think ??? and you are a DONZI owner ???

Scot, are you turning into a Liberal ???

What has happened to you ??? :bonk:

THIS IS what it is all about :yes:

No mufflers on ocean boats in Canada and boats just as fast... :yes:

You are starting to scare me.

Do we need to take you down to HOOTERS again in Clear Lake and get your man pants put back on ??? :confused:

:mad:

:D

HOWARD O
06-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Do we need to take you down to HOOTERS again in Clear Lake and get your man pants put back on ??? :confused:

Doh!! :rofl:

harbormaster
06-17-2009, 07:14 AM
It was pretty quiet when you got it, what happened??

I got tired of all the blue smoke. To quote my wife Kim:

"Is it always going to smoke like this? It doesn't sound like a Donzi"

Lenny, I could give a crap what anyone thinks. It was not fun because it was just too freaking loud. The dry pipes sound great but get old sometimes. I have them so that I can pop them off when I go to the turtle club. Oh and Lenny, You are the one that is scared of bugs!

3rdDonzi
06-17-2009, 07:34 AM
I put a pair of Eddie Marine slip ons on my 18C. Never got so much for so little,(under $100). The boat still sounds GREAT but much quieter. Can easily converse and hear stereo in no wake zone, underway theres more wind than engine noise. Can even hear the faint whine of the outdrive that I never could before. Guess I'm gettin old too.
CC

BigGrizzly
06-17-2009, 08:48 AM
First they do go below 92 decibels. I do under stand Scott, I have mufflers on the Corsican and q&q on the Criterion For the same reasons you have. I don't listen to the radio when the engine is running, I have an ignition switch for that part. Glad to here the boat is running again.

zelatore
06-17-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't listen to the radio when the engine is running, I have an ignition switch for that part.

Great line. I need to remember that one!

And to think, I just ordered a block-off plate for mine because I'm going to yank the silent choice out of it. I never use the it, and it just makes things look uglier and harder to access.

Which reminds me I need to order up another piece of blue silicon hose today...

blackhawk
06-17-2009, 10:34 AM
When on plane I love to hear the roar but I REALLY miss my silent choice when going through a 45 minute no wake zone!

thriller
06-18-2009, 11:45 AM
No Wake Zone? What's that..LOL

Ghost
06-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Without fear there is no courage.

Without temptation, there is no discipline.

Without doubt, there is no faith.

Without quiet, there is no badass bliddy-bladdy.

harbormaster
06-18-2009, 05:25 PM

What? :lookaroun:

blackhawk
06-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Without fear there is no courage.

Without temptation, there is no discipline.

Without doubt, there is no faith.

Nice! :D

ajochum
06-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Sounds like some of you guys are about due for a nice quiet pontoon houseboat and perhaps a rocking chair.:cool!:

DC18
06-18-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't listen to the radio when the engine is running, I have an ignition switch for that part.[/quote]
:yes: I did't order a radio with mine. Had them leave it out. I figure if we pull up somewhere there is usually someone with a stereo on, so why waste the $$,. Becides if I put one in later, I have a friend who ownes a stereo shop.

boxy
06-18-2009, 11:56 PM
The wife and I took out the 22 a couple of weeks ago. After getting back we both agreed that the boat was entirely too freakin loud!

Someone at the ramp said that they even hear me at the ramp when I was just entering the lake.

So with that said I scrounged a pair of mufflers from our stash at the shop and installed them.

Gettin too old I guess...

HabbaMasta, as I told Tripper last week, the coolest thing about the the 2007 1000 Islands Poker Run was being docked beside a 39 RP MTI with turn downs. When this 2600 HP boat burbled out of it's slip, like a V-6 family day boat, it was so cool, what was even cooler was when it did a fly by off the the harbour at 155 MPH.

Some guys are happy with knowing what is under their throttle hand, some guys need you to know what their boat might do....

Team Jefe
06-19-2009, 08:14 AM
It was pretty quiet when you got it, what happened??

First you put a CAR motor in the thing...an now this. Next I think you need some teak paneling, Old Man Yacht Club Triangle Flag and Thurston Howell Commodore Hat, Jacket and Ascot. "I say Muffy, we should toddle over to Clear Lake and go for a spin in the Donzi. It will be captial, capital I tell you."

And this AIN'T Kim's fault, But I guess it is partly mine.....I give you a boat and then go away for a while to take care of some pressing issues with Life and this is what happens.

AND YOU CARE what other people think ??? and you are a DONZI owner ???

Scot, are you turning into a Liberal ???

Lenny - I was actually over a Scot's house a month ago and noticed Kim had his Man Card dangling from a chain around her neck. He doesn't even drive by Hooters anymore to go home....too much pain. He!l I think Kim is even driving the Hummer most days now:yes:

BigGrizzly
06-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Jefe, What is up. We havn't heard from you. Get in touch.

f_inscreenname
06-19-2009, 09:37 PM
OMG After reading this my eyes are starting to bleed.
I get so little time on the 19 that I want to listen to the exhaust. I can listen to the 600 watts of stereo in the truck. For that matter when I was working on the back deck tonight I herd something blast by the point and thought to myself, "this is why I love living here" and I'm sure that is what I sound like doing the same.