PDA

View Full Version : This green color.....

HOWARD O
06-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Like a few others that have seen it, I really like this color. I like it so much that I'm toying with the idea to use it when I get around to painting mine. I thought this color on the sides and center stripe with a white deck just like this one. Do you think it wouldn't look "right" on a 22? Do you think it'd be making a 22 something it's not? I thought it'd be cool with some new "old school" gauges, lots of nice stainless hardware, etc.

Just throwing it out there for opinions. It'd sure be unique on a 22.

http://www.independentmarine.com/media/photos/CurrentBoatPics/PreOwned/Donzi.jpg

zelatore
06-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Man, every time I see that picture I have to be physically restrained from pulling out my wallet.

I love the color as well, but I don't know if it would work on a 22. It's a 'soft' color, and seems to work especially well with the softer lines and windshield of this model (Hornet, right?). I'm not sure if it would look right against the harder edges of the 22.

Although thinking about it, it's the windshield that most conflicts with the color to me. A windshieldless 22 might be able to carry it off very well.

Hmmmm.....:yes:

Yes, I like the idea. You should get started right away!

HOWARD O
06-16-2009, 03:47 PM
I was thinking the same about the windshield too. Mine has no frame and I am going to be ordering a new one shortly. How about a clear windshield instead of tinted? But you're right, the Hornet is definitely more elegant looking whereas the 22 is more aggressive. I don't know, I wish I were better at photoshop, I could see for myself!

BUIZILLA
06-16-2009, 03:51 PM
there is a sea green windshield material...

HOWARD O
06-16-2009, 03:57 PM
there is a sea green windshield material...

Right you are, that might be the ticket! But won't it look funny for the years that I'm saving to do the repaint? Uggh, it's always something.... :cool:

Ghost
06-16-2009, 08:39 PM
I think that color is awesome. And I think part of what really makes it work is the fine accent striping done as it is.

And I think Don's onto something, though I'm thinking to my eye it is more than soft lines (or maybe something slightly different, or both). I think part of what makes it work is the old, classic detail, including the hardware.

I think no windshield, or a totally different windshield than the more modern looking ones on the 22, would be interesting. Further, more classic old chrome fittings and such would also help, if done right. (Think about how an old turquoisey Chevy Bel air looks right with the right chrome trim. Now think about the same color on an 88 Chevy Cavalier, with black plastic trim parts.)

Take a look at this thing:

http://robx-7.nopistons.com/d/2099-1/finished+001.jpg

Or these.

http://yachtbroker.escapeartist.com/images/218.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/86/248576004_519464a10b.jpg?v=0
The first picture is probably more telling, but do you see what I mean about having the right kind of trim to complement it? One doesn't usually think about something like chrome horns or the classic Perko winged bi-color chrome light on the deck of a 22 Classic, but if the right size, done right, who knows? The hull shape is SO right, I think it could make for an interesting experiment. Probably in Photoshop, for starters. Maybe even a chrome bi-color like the one (or is that a vent? Maybe styled that way anyhow) on the old Novas, which was kinda sleek and retro together. (see attached pic)

Done right, I think a 22 Classic with the right details could look UNBELIEVABLY SWEET in that Hornet's color scheme. I don't know that I have exactly the right image in my head, but I bet it could work with some digging. Maybe start by looking at a lot of the oldest Donzis for inspiration.

(Or maybe I'm smoking crack.)

Mike

Marlin275
06-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Nice color on any boat?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47131&d=1245207921

gcarter
06-16-2009, 10:12 PM
I think the color is outstanding......

However it's one of those colors that "disappear" on the water.
I once had a Toyota pickup w/a very neutral gray brown color that was hit twice because other drivers said they didn't see it in time to miss.
Just an opinion......

Conquistador_del_mar
06-17-2009, 02:12 AM
Like a few others that have seen it, I really like this color. I like it so much that I'm toying with the idea to use it when I get around to painting mine. I thought this color on the sides and center stripe with a white deck just like this one. Do you think it wouldn't look "right" on a 22? Do you think it'd be making a 22 something it's not? I thought it'd be cool with some new "old school" gauges, lots of nice stainless hardware, etc.

Just throwing it out there for opinions. It'd sure be unique on a 22.

http://www.independentmarine.com/media/photos/CurrentBoatPics/PreOwned/Donzi.jpg

Howard,
I personally like that pastel shade. I doubt that it is for everybody, but it sure would stand out. You could pull the boat with this 1950 Chevrolet with only 437 miles on it for that unusual combination. Bill

I think that color is awesome. And I think part of what really makes it work is the fine accent striping done as it is.

Take a look at this thing:

Or these.

Mike

Mike,
Those are some outstanding boats! Where are the lights on the first boat? Bill

Ghost
06-17-2009, 03:05 AM
Howard,
I personally like that pastel shade. I doubt that it is for everybody, but it sure would stand out. You could pull the boat with this 1950 Chevrolet with only 437 miles on it for that unusual combination. Bill

Mike,
Those are some outstanding boats! Where are the lights on the first boat? Bill

It's pretty naked--I couldn't find them either. Struck me as a pretty cool look for tweaking a 22 classic, with those rails I mean.

Mike

HOWARD O
06-17-2009, 07:05 AM
See, Bill, I could've looked at that SuperBoat all day long and not noticed the missing lights! It IS a striking boat though!

Mike, you really hit it.....an old turqoise Bel Air is a great analogy. One of my favorite all time cars is a '55 Nomad. Now wouldn't THAT make a nice tow vehicle? The '57's are a little too shiny for my tastes! Love the clean '55.

Marlin, I recognize that boat.....is it not Dwight's (Air22's)??? Now, with my shiny chrome siderails, perhaps the horns from an old Hornet and a clear, frameless windshield? Or no windshield whatsoever? hmmmm

HOWARD O
06-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Bill, it just amazes me, how is it even possible for that '50 Chevy to have less than 500 miles? Incredible..... :wink:

widowmaker
06-17-2009, 07:22 AM
I realize that with all of the previous posts raving about this color on a 22, that I am going against the tide. I think that color, while retro cool, will cause that boat to virtually disappear on the water. Maybe I'm just "blinded" by my appreciation of the boats with the more conventional colors.

Carl C
06-17-2009, 07:50 AM
There is really nothing wrong with the color but to me it looks a a sun faded teal. I wouldn't do it. BTW, I'm no fan of windshields either. See sig pic.

mattyboy
06-17-2009, 08:26 AM
the pastel colors always seem to me to look better on the older classics the hornet, 21gt , corsican

so the barbados blue, light green, inca gold have their place on those unique boats

the 16 18 and 22 look better with the basic bold colors red, yellow ,black, blue, orange not so much in light colors

Marlin275
06-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Marlin, I recognize that boat.....is it not Dwight's (Air22's)??? Now, with my shiny chrome siderails, perhaps the horns from an old Hornet and a clear, frameless windshield? Or no windshield whatsoever? hmmmm

I grabbed that photo so fast last night I can't remember who's it is?

HOWARD O
06-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Well, you guys are talking me out of it. Of course, this isn't going to happen any time soon so I'll probably change colors a dozen times before I decide on one. I will say that blue is my least favorite color, but I can deal with it on boats because it's a good, solid nautical color.

How do you think a deep navy with the honey instead of white? Retaining the red pinstripe in the deck stripe and a red bootstripe? I always like that honey/blue on the Minx.

gcarter
06-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, you guys are talking me out of it. Of course, this isn't going to happen any time soon so I'll probably change colors a dozen times before I decide on one. I will say that blue is my least favorite color, but I can deal with it on boats because it's a good, solid nautical color.

How do you think a deep navy with the honey instead of white? Retaining the red pinstripe in the deck stripe and a red bootstripe? I always like that honey/blue on the Minx.

This was a favorite w/Minx's in the day.

Really stunning.

CHACHI
06-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I would have to agree on your assessment of the Honey Brown/Blue color scheme. :wink:

Ken

Craig S
06-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Met a guy this past weekend redoing a Bertram 28 in the same hull color.

HOWARD O
06-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Met a guy this past weekend redoing a Bertram 28 in the same hull color.

Seafoam green or the blue/honey?