PDA

View Full Version : GT21 custom graphics

axelkloehn
06-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Hi folks,

does anyone wants to know how a GT21 looks with 22 Classic-windscreen?
Here is a computer graphic I have done last week.

And it's a good base for checking some custom paintjobs :) for my boat.

So, please make your comments!!

Yours, Axel :germany:

VetteLT193
06-16-2009, 07:57 AM
I like the last one, minus the Shelby graphic since it isn't a Shelby.

Maybe the same thing but "DONZI" on the bow, or just nothing.

axelkloehn
06-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Ok, here you go....

Axel :germany:

VetteLT193
06-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Ok, here you go....

:wink: that's the one

widowmaker
06-16-2009, 09:05 AM
It needs the small line through the middle of the "Z"

zelatore
06-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Not that I think your other designs look bad, but I'm partial to the original windshield and a simple solid color. Maybe update the interior with some new front buckets (within reason), new dash/gauges/wheel/shifter, then a super-detailed engine room. Retro, but with a modern twist.

Morgan's Cloud
06-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Not that I think your other designs look bad, but I'm partial to the original windshield and a simple solid color. Maybe update the interior with some new front buckets (within reason), new dash/gauges/wheel/shifter, then a super-detailed engine room. Retro, but with a modern twist.

:clap:

Exactly my take ......

It's a classic Donzi , not some late 80's mini Scarab. Restore it properly , keep it simple and it'll command attention wherever you go .

The Hedgehog
06-16-2009, 12:26 PM
I like both Resto mod and resto.

The mod theme is tricky because you can go from over the top cool to cheesy in a hurry if you are not very careful.

I went with the fusion theme with my X. Kind of like Zel was describing. I kept the paint conservative. I am sure that there are some purists that don't like my new gauges, new merc power, billet throttle and a few trick goodies along with the old style decals etc. But hey, it is not their boat is it? I love it and get compliments on it everywhere I go.

It is your boat. Enjoy it.

zelatore
06-16-2009, 12:30 PM
My ideas were simply that - my personal preferences. The key is to do it the way you like it.

One thing to consider though-
A restoration never goes out of style - it's classic and original.
A resto-mod usually holds up pretty well over time, but some of the mod part might start looking a little funky down the road.
A full-on radical custom usually looks great for a while, but typically doesn't stand the test of time as custom work is very subject to current trends.

The Hedgehog
06-16-2009, 12:40 PM
No the resto part never goes out of style.

It helped me get a nice parking spot on the riverfront last weekend. The guys at the dock were all about my 1973 Classic

Donziweasel
06-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Would look better on a 22 or ZR/ZX. One vote for resto here......:wink:

HOWARD O
06-16-2009, 02:46 PM
I like the "old school" look as well, but some of the paint designs nowadays are just so nice that I can't help but like them.

You sure have a talent, they do look good!

mattyboy
06-16-2009, 02:49 PM
in light of the work done by Parnell and Mick on their boats, The Lake George Donzi Classic club has decided to add a category to our boat show we haven't quite got the name for it figured out but basically it will be a resto-mod category that will take into account both restoration and modernization and the boat that combines the two with the best outcome

those two boats had the judges hands full this year

I like solid fairing would look pretty good in the same color as the deck

speaking of Parnell he has a GT that he will start to work on, can't wait to see it if he gets it to run half as good as the 16 there will be alot of 22 guys pulling their hair out if not the engines ;)

even in a mod I would keep the logos time appropriate the 2004 logo looks out of place
the newer lion and dolphin would look ok

Pismo
06-16-2009, 05:20 PM
#1 with no Shelby.

BUIZILLA
06-16-2009, 06:35 PM
in light of the work done by Parnell and Mick on their boats, The Lake George Donzi Classic club has decided to add a category to our boat show we haven't quite got the name for it figured out but basically it will be a resto-mod category that will take into account both restoration and modernization and the boat that combines the two with the best outcome

what's wrong with that name?

mattyboy
06-16-2009, 06:44 PM
well we like different names for the award than just what they are given for

Sweet Cheekz
06-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Axel The fairing looks great Keep us updated as to your progress

Thanks for the kind words Matty. Nice job last weekend by you and Scott First class! Everyone was very freindly and tons of great boats!

After 28 hours of drive time this weekend the 3 person GT21 design team came to the conclusion that a Donzi paint scheme with a new interior and a little bling in the engine room is the ticket :cool: We have our mission set to make it a tad more traditional since there is way less of them than 16's but our interior is going to be rigged for rough water running. :crossfing: Without air ride seats however :eek:

Looks like it will be a bit faster also :cool!:

It will be a tall task to have it complete by next years dustoff but I owe the 16 a full trip around the lake anyways Can't wait!
Parnell

LKSD
06-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Taste is obviously subjective.. Custom can be nice, upgrades & alterations sometimes can be good to...

BUT....
Do Not plaster the Shelby name on the 21 Gt.. It isnt a shelby & it might get you some static...

The Gt is a good boat & liked already on its own for what it is, no need to make it something it is not.. Just my 2 cents.. :)

Freshen it up, customize it a bit if youd like & enjoy it for the classic that it is.. ;) Jamie

BigGrizzly
06-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Parnell, it was great seeing you and the family. That boy was very well behaved, The wife is beautiful and friendly, your boat is gorgeous. you have it all. BTW thanks for the Data it will come in handy. AAs always it was great to see you again. Maybe next year on your way down south you can stop over.:yes:

axelkloehn
06-17-2009, 04:05 PM
...for your opinions and advices.

It will be a mixture of ideas you guys have mentioned and- because its my boat- will have some customizing in paint and interior.
One of my hobbies is paint and airbrush-design and I would be stupid not showing it.
Attached you see my final proposal, the condition the boat is in right now...:garfield: and my Volkswagen Truck with a paintjob I did some time ago :).

Thanks a lot for your comments and sure I'll keep you informed...

The Hedgehog
06-17-2009, 04:45 PM
...for your opinions and advices.

It will be a mixture of ideas you guys have mentioned and- because its my boat- will have some customizing in paint and interior.
One of my hobbies is paint and airbrush-design and I would be stupid not showing it.
Attached you see my final proposal, the condition the boat is in right now...:garfield: and my Volkswagen Truck with a paintjob I did some time ago :).

Thanks a lot for your comments and sure I'll keep you informed...

Enjoy the Donzi Axel. Keep us posted.

Sweet Cheekz
06-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Looks great Axel Keep us updated and let me know how you do the fairing.

Grizz Thanks as always for letting me test more props and it was fun hanging out with you and your lovely wife I look forward to seeing the other boat one of these days. Tell Mrs Grizz Wendy loved the story about her taking the girls out for a heck ride and whipping all the guys in the corsican If it get that far south again before next spring I will take you up on that. Have a great summer

Parnell

BigGrizzly
06-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Story, heck she wants to do it again. She is already trying to get the girls up here again. She has claimed the Corsican. Parnell what you don't know is she has convinced Wendy she needs to do it too.:yes::yes: I will admit I was really proud when she did the fly by:yes::yes::yes: