PDA

View Full Version : (not so) cooling system

zelatore
06-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Fired up the old Carver for the first time in...uh...too long and noticed the stb motor was heading for overheat pronto.

I haven't done any real troubleshooting yet but I had a temp gun handy so I started comparing things between the two motors. The one thing that stood out was that on the overheating motor the heat exchanger was much cooler than on the good motor. This made me think I must not be circulating coolant through it. The reservoir is full and the belt is spinning the circ pump, so I'll check for a possible blockage tomorrow when it's cold.

I got to thinking though, have any of you had a circ pump fail to move water but not show any outward signs of trouble?

This is on a fresh water cooled Crusader 454 v-drive.

The Hedgehog
06-15-2009, 11:01 PM
You are starting to sound like me. I came back from AOTH and immediately had to replace the thermostat and a bunch of hoses on the cruiser then I had to do the seawater pump in the X. I hope I am done on cooling systems for a while. Right before AOTH I did the seawater pump on the 26 (not a big deal on that one).

I have moved on to stereo and amp rigging these days.

zelatore
06-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Well, I just fired up the stereo and all seems good there, but then I realized that even though the LCD tv isn't that old it's not digital-ready, and it's not really big enough to be a very good anchor.

Normally this would be the part where my girlfriend mentions something about having too many things to take care of.

Silly girl.

SilverBack
06-16-2009, 04:44 AM
Maybe since your classic runs too cold and your Carver runs too hot you can do some kind of oil transfusion and everything will turn out just right!! By the way..be on the look out for Goldilocks!!:wink:

MOP
06-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Thermostat is stuck the is the only thing that will cause what you describe, cool exchanger hot engine.

zelatore
06-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Come on MOP, you know it won't be that easy!

But we'll find out...

(btw, I also decided to go ahead and try the overnight soak on the low cylinders of the Donzi then re-test the leakdown. Nothing to loose. I'll give it a try when I get home for the weekend.)