PDA

View Full Version : Volvo SBC exhaust?

handfulz28
06-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Wondering if there are any direct replacements better than OEM. How about fitting a Merc application? These are '04 5.7 Gxi's I think.

BlownCrewCab
06-15-2009, 06:42 PM
The motor is a small block chevy right? any of the Merc or after market stuff will mount to the heads, you may have to move holes in transom though.

MOP
06-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Osco makes a nice replacement, a bit cheaper but very good quality, http://www.oscomotors.com/

handfulz28
06-15-2009, 09:35 PM
BCC - through prop only; for some reason he won't bite on my idea to put thru hulls in the family truckster. :frown:

MOP, saw the OSCOs on Ebasicpower. Still trying to see if there's anything "worth" spending a little extra coin and getting better than OEM/iron pieces.

The Volvos have an aluminum elbow that connects the y-pipe to the riser, through a rubber hose and a couple of rubber joints. It seems as if the risers may be set a few inches too low verus the waterline though. The inside of the riser's exhaust outlet, before it's mixed with the water, has as much corrosion as the water passages themselves.

Morgan's Cloud
06-16-2009, 01:13 PM
You don't by any chance have EG sensors on the elbows like the new stuff do you ? That could change a few things .....

handfulz28
06-16-2009, 01:34 PM
EG - exhaust gas? We're talking '04 vintage here.

Each riser has what looks more like a simple temp sensor, or switch. Simple one wire (brown/blk stripe) and the sensor looks like it would only be in the water jacket. You can make out the location in the picture: top rear of riser, just over the exhaust hose clamp.

My guess is that's a temp switch, normally open. Leaving it out of a new exhaust setup wouldn't be the end of the world.

If I get over there today, I'll take some pictures.

Morgan's Cloud
06-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah , That's the thingies .... Not too clear , but mine are definitely wired and I'm sure that they're EGT probes ... Why would Volvo put another water temp sensor somewhere that is prone to fluctuations within normal operating parameters ? At least that's the way I figure it :bonk:

Somewhere down the road I might like to put on some nice S/S pipes and asked my engine supplier about it ... I'm sure he said .. 'Oh don't worry , just disconnect them and throw them in the bilge ...'

I really think some of these guys do crack :kingme:

handfulz28
06-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Why would Volvo put another water temp sensor somewhere that is prone to fluctuations within normal operating parameters ?

If it's a switch, then it's just another warning device to detect overheat. It looks to be wired in the same circuit as the other pressure/temp warning switches. I seriously doubt the MEFI has any use for EGTs. The head certainly doesn't look like any EGT probes I've seen.

BUT, maybe we'll get it out tonight and take a look.

Morgan's Cloud
06-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Maybe I should dust off my owner's manual and look it up .... I'm sure I remember something about EGT's. Are you going to take yours completely out to see ?

handfulz28
06-17-2009, 07:27 AM
I figure when my buddy decides which exhaust to go with he'll have to pull them out to decide whether to swap 'em, buy new, or forgo. If you decide to dig out the manual, I'm curious what it says.

Morgan's Cloud
06-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Mike ,

I finally remembered to pull out the owner's manual ..

Those things are described as " EXHAUST OVERHEAT SENSORS " ....

No mention of water jacketing or whatever ... To me it sounds like they're EGT probes ....

Steve

MOP
06-23-2009, 09:02 AM
They just warn of hot risers, first indication of over heating.

Morgan's Cloud
06-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Phil ,

Do you know if they just tap into the metal of the riser or if they go into the water jacket ?

handfulz28
06-23-2009, 09:36 AM
We haven't removed them yet, but they're just temp senders/switches. They've got the same wire as the oil pressure switch. Where they're mounted there's no way they could be in the exhaust flow; only the water jacket.

I couldn't find any other sender/switch in the cooling system that would indicate an overtemp situation. The only other sensor is in the t-stat housing and that goes to the ECU.