PDA

View Full Version : Thank God for sea strainers!!!

fogducker III
06-15-2009, 05:24 PM
So after the weekend events I started a major clean-up and service of the 18, got in the engine bay and noticed something blue in the sea strainer.........:confused: Opened it up and found this, don't tell me how or where it got in there but I am VERY lucky I have a sea strainer, I don't think the water pump impeller would have liked meeting it........:eek:

On a side note, does any body have a line on the o-ring/gasket for these cast strainers? My gasket has seen better days and the local shops look at me funny when I ask if they have one.......:nilly:

The body of the strainer is 6" in diameter but the gasket is slightly smaller in order to fit in the inside lip......hoping somebody has a spare they can fire in the mail and I can send funds to cover it, kinda think ordering one from a shop online or via phone will be a nightmare.......thanks for any assistance, Jeremy

The Hedgehog
06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
I really don't want to know how that got sucked up in the boat:eek:

Ghost
06-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Starfish need birth control too...

The Hedgehog
06-15-2009, 05:31 PM

That's pretty good:kingme:

SilverBack
06-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Don't you run an IMCO lower? Wow ...I can't believe that got sucked up that little slit in the nose.... I am glad that you had a sea strainer..:yes:

Hedge..Do you have a strainer in your boat? You may want to get one if latex items are sucked up that easily!!:nilly:

BlownCrewCab
06-15-2009, 05:32 PM

Or what kind of Serpent had 4 peckers.........Thanks God, for the sea strainer invention & Bikinis too...and.....

fogducker III
06-15-2009, 05:47 PM

If I had been down at AOTH and it was soaked in Mazola I would have understood............:eek:

fogducker III
06-15-2009, 05:51 PM
do I dare mention again the blown gasket...........:rolleyes:

Carl C
06-15-2009, 05:57 PM

:rlol::starfish::rlol::clap:

BUIZILLA
06-15-2009, 06:02 PM
hydraulic shop :yes:

The Hedgehog
06-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Don't you run an IMCO lower? Wow ...I can't believe that got sucked up that little slit in the nose.... I am glad that you had a sea strainer..:yes:

Hedge..Do you have a strainer in your boat? You may want to get one if latex items are sucked up that easily!!:nilly:

Hedge needs a strainer. Well two of them. Hedge needs lots of things these days.

The Hedgehog
06-15-2009, 06:48 PM
If I had been down at AOTH and it was soaked in Mazola I would have understood............:eek:

That would have been understandable:cool!:

gcarter
06-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Go here if there isn't a driveline/hydraulic shop nearby;

http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=2c0el0

SilverBack
06-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Hedge needs a strainer. Well two of them. Hedge needs lots of things these days.

I know exactly what you mean!! The more you get done the more you need to do!! It never ends!!

CHACHI
06-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Jeremy, a sea strainer is my next project and I have been debating on whether I should install it before the sea water pump or after (to catch bits of the impeller, god forbid). But after seeing you photo, I will probably mount it before the pump. I would guess the correct answer is two, one before and one after,

Good save.

Ken

fogducker III
06-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Who makes the strainer?

I believe it is Buck Algonquin? This one looks like it and has same dimensions.......

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=86224F

fogducker III
06-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Jeremy, a sea strainer is my next project and I have been debating on whether I should install it before the sea water pump or after (to catch bits of the impeller, god forbid). But after seeing you photo, I will probably mount it before the pump. I would guess the correct answer is two, one before and one after,

Good save.

Ken

I think one before the pump is loads Ken, it catches everything and if the impeller goes, it is usually TOTAL lack of water which a strainer won't help.......ie. plastic bag over the pick-up or busted hose somewhere in the system.....:eek:

In our neck of the woods, seaweed is our ememy, amazingly strong, water-proof and everywhere!!!:yes:

Oh ya, and star fish condoms.........:eek::nilly:

MOP
06-15-2009, 08:31 PM
I have never seen one with a fitting in the Plexi, Usually the have both fittings cast into the base intake above the screen and exit below.

fogducker III
06-15-2009, 08:39 PM
I have never seen one with a fitting in the Plexi, Usually the have both fittings cast into the base intake above the screen and exit below.

Good eye MOP, there is an in and out fitting on the base casting, the one in the top plate I put in, it goes to a fitting on the transom to hook up a hose, makes it easy for an old guy like me to flush the motor, plus I can hook up the "Salt Away" fitting and rinse it really well after being in the chuck...........:wink:

MOP
06-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Good eye MOP, there is an in and out fitting on the base casting, the one in the top plate I put in, it goes to a fitting on the transom to hook up a hose, makes it easy for an old guy like me to flush the motor, plus I can hook up the "Salt Away" fitting and rinse it really well after being in the chuck...........:wink:

Good thinking got to flush that nasty salt just like me!

MDonziM
06-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Not to hi-jack the thread but... have you guys heard of any bad effects from using Salt Away? My mechanic said he heard some stuff but I didn't get the details.

btw, theres a guy on oso with nice livorsi strainers for 300 bucks. Got one but havn't got the boat in yet.

fogducker III
06-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Not to hi-jack the thread but... have you guys heard of any bad effects from using Salt Away? My mechanic said he heard some stuff but I didn't get the details.

btw, theres a guy on oso with nice livorsi strainers for 300 bucks. Got one but havn't got the boat in yet.

NO problems with Salt Away, awesome stuff and it works,,,,trust me, I have salt water boated all my life ad been using saltaway for a while now, even checked the guts of the motor after using it, nothing, mechanic is talking out his butt IMO.

The cast strainers are just fine for salt water, expensive stainless is a waste of $$$$$$$$$:wink:

VetteLT193
06-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Soap does the same thing, and a 2 liter bottle is what, 5 bucks at Costco?

Soap is hardly the same thing as what is in Salt Away. Salt Away has Sulfamic acid in it, which does in fact cut the salt because the Sulfamic + salt bond and create something else (can't remember right now, but based on what is going in another mild acid will come out).

As far as it hurting engines, it's a myth.

MDonziM
06-16-2009, 07:59 AM
I've been using it for 3 years, was just concerned when my mechanic said he "heard", not believed ,there was some side effects.

MOP
06-16-2009, 08:28 AM
More slight HiJack: Salt Away is acid based but has a rust inhibitor, the supplier we had said use fresh stuff. Apparently over time it starts to discolor gets a brownish hue, it does have a shelf life then it is time to properly dispose of it.