PDA

View Full Version : restoration question

06-14-2009, 09:29 AM
I have alot of loose screws that hold on the rub rale on my 83 18 2+3
My question is what is the best product to put in the enlarged screw holes to then be able to drill and replace the self taping SS screws?

BUIZILLA
06-14-2009, 09:36 AM
I think your going to find the rubrail screws are loose because the deck attaching screws are loose, unless you remove the rail and solve that issue your going to be tightening the rubrail screws every time you go out anyways, regardless of new rubrail fasteners... :wrench:

MOP
06-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Jim hit it on the head, your best route is to take the rail off. Then in the enlarged holes use the next size up screw counter sunk and set in clear silicone, don't use 5200 you can twist/strip the heads off/out of screws if you have to remove them on the future. Railing is not to bad price wise I would just replace it, you will need to take time and figure you placement out so you miss any existing screws. Phil

tommymonza
06-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Ace hardware sells a little stainless insert that has a wood thread on the outside and a machine thread on the inside.Kinda like a Heli-Coil.

I started using these where the screws for the bimini and the snaps for the cover go on had pulled out on my fatherinlaws Stingray.

I just drilled out the old hole a little larger to take the insert and than applied a little JB Weld on the insert and than ran the insert into the hole with a machine screw bottomed out into the insert. Have some Acetone and a paper towel to wipe up and leftover sploog and wait till the JB weld sets up and than remove the machine screwand attache the rail or snap or whatever you wanted to mount.

ajochum
06-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Along those lines, where do you get the rub rail - Donzi? Anyone ever priced it out for a 2+3 18'?

HOWARD O
06-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Along those lines, where do you get the rub rail - Donzi? Anyone ever priced it out for a 2+3 18'?

I believe this is the place my brother found some for his 16'.

http://tacomarine.com/cat--Rub-Rail--rubrail.html